+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: 3/6 AI 12 Las Vegas Voting Round #2 **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    And on a completely separate note....I think their first theme week should be "Just Sing Anything that Isn't a Ballad". Two straight nights of mostly ballads has put me in a coma. I was so happy Cortez sang an up-tempo song that I didn't even care if it was good or not- I was just happy if wasn't slow and snooze-worthy.
    Yes! Yes! Yes! At least I didn't give up and turn it half way like I did with the girls, but so many ballads I can't find anyone I care to support. Don't care how good you can sing, if you bore me, I'm not interested. And 99.9% of the time, ballads bore me.

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady View Post
    Aww, poor Charlie. But on the other hand, he took the spot of somebody much better, like David Willis, the "Fever" singer with the guitar.
    David should have gone through, at the expense of any one of the ones we currently have. I really liked him!
    Last edited by Arielflies; 03-07-2013 at 01:18 PM.
    NFL1 likes this.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Re: 3/6 AI 12 Las Vegas Voting Round #2 **West Coast Spoilers**

Earlier, in a different thread, I said that Charlie may be the type of kid who grows on me over time. Well, after last night's horrendous performance, I have to take that back. I can't imagine anything that would make me like that kind of "singing."

I am afraid that the crying and sad puppy dog look will get him quite a few sympathy votes.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Last night was very disappointing. Well, I already had low expectations and I was still disappointed.

I wasn't impressed with the energy either.

I'm not sure where this is going. It reminds me of the year Lee Dwyze won. Not knocking Lee. He was rather talented. In fact much more talented than what the guys offer this year. Just overall, it doesn't look impressive to me.
    Shoepie and YellowRose like this.

FORT Fogey
    I would like to see Charlie make the final 5. I only liked 3 of them and I see that many here agree. So out of the remaining 7 why not Charlie? At least he will give us something different. I prefer entertainers on the fringe. I would like to see more of what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Last night was very disappointing. Well, I already had low expectations and I was still disappointed.

I wasn't impressed with the energy either.

I'm not sure where this is going. It reminds me of the year Lee Dwyze won. Not knocking Lee. He was rather talented. In fact much more talented than what the guys offer this year. Just overall, it doesn't look impressive to me.
    I agree. I had forgotten about Lee Dwyze.

I think Randy is correct when he says the final 3 will be women.

And I love the idea of a no ballad night!
    Last edited by Arielflies; 03-07-2013 at 01:19 PM.
    NFL1 likes this.

I think the males are better than the females I bet another male wins this again. At least I woke up last night, I tried to like the girls* even the second half * but I was bored by them, they all sounded the same.

I noticed Keith really likes critiquing the guys and he does it well .

NM, well I have a love hate relationship with her.Why did she talk to Charlie like that, where's my little baby ? But mostly she is correct and direct with them .Mariah I FF- she is so boring, and why doesnt she look at them, not off to the corner, it most annoying.

I don't know what was wrong with Charlie last night, he has a good voice, but what's with the tears etc, do they need some drama or what?
    NFL1 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I would like to see Charlie make the final 5. I only liked 3 of them and I see that many here agree. So out of the remaining 7 why not Charlie? At least he will give us something different. I prefer entertainers on the fringe. I would like to see more of what he does.
    The crying would become unbearable.....? His and mine....

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost View Post
    March 06, 2013: The Top Ten Boys

1. Charlie Askew. This is the first time in the twelve year history of this show (I haven’t missed a single episode) that I disagree completely with all four judges. I played back the original eight times, and then played back Charlie’s performance. His was an accurate cover. The problem was that we heard a little boy with an untamed high tenor trying to do man’s work, which resulted in what Randy called “screaming” but screaming is an integral part of hard rock culture, just as melisma is integral to the gospel/R&B culture. I don’t know if the judges are unfamiliar with this song or simply don’t like it, but Phil laughs and screams in the original. In addition, Phil Collins said the song is about a young teen that falls in love with a much older prostitute, who didn’t love him back; which triggered the anger, angst, resentment, and maniacal pleading that permeate these lyrics. So in my opinion, what Charlie did tonight was not only appropriate; it was necessary; he played the part and played it well. I am a die-hard old school R&B and classic hard rock fan, and a huge Genesis fan, and I didn’t think this tribute was blasphemous or disingenuous. I absolutely loved it! Thank you Charlie. He is a bona fide fringe dweller so I’m not sure exactly what the judges thought they were getting. My very first impression of Charlie was the second coming of Josiah Leming, another Idol fringe-dweller that Randy and Paula liked initially but refused to send through to Top Twenty. But Josiah’s subsequent albums proved, beyond all shadow of doubt, that he is the best lyricist to ever foot on the Idol stage. The judges didn’t like Charlie’s performance tonight but that doesn’t make them wrong, bad people, or unqualified experts. All four of them have excellent music credentials; they know their stuff. It simple means that they didn’t like this performance. I respect them, so I respect their opinions, but the comments to Charlie still broke my heart. Was it really necessary to reduce this wonderful, courageous kid to tears? A socially dysfunctional kid like Charlie is uniquely vulnerable; he is, for lack of a better phrase, an open sore, so you can’t keep picking at him until he does something back stage that creates a media nightmare. At some pint, you have to stop, as Mariah did. I hope America sends him through if not for Mama, for Rocket Man; that was a unique master class performance. If he comes back and if he picks another classic rock song, I hope it’s something with a memorable and relatable melody; e.g. Led Zeppelin’s Stairway to Heaven is a perfect vehicle for what he does best.
    2. Devin Velez. He’s a vocal technocrat in a bow tie, so I am not convinced that he is an artist or a pop Idol, but he generates beautiful, exquisite, crystal-clear tone and perfect pitch, and all of it came together tonight in a truly magnificent performance, one of the best I’ve seen on the Idol stage. Good job Devin.
    3. Burnell Taylor. Keith says his voice is unique but I don’t know; he sounds eerily similar to Anthony Hamilton to me. I kept hearing Can You Feel Me in my head. Burnell is a terrific singer; and as we witnessed last week, a marvelous caresser of lyrics; a true artist; one that I look forward to seeing each week. I'm Here was also a magnificent performance.
    4. Cutis Finch Jr. His I Believe I Can Fly was good theater, loaded with passion, but not a great vocal; not the equal of Luther Vandross' Superstar (that was insanely good). I also think R. Kelly’s Turn Back the Hands of Time and The Storm Is Over are better vehicles for what he does. Curtis is an authentic gospel R&B singer. He is another contestant that I look forward to hearing each week. I love what he does.
    5. Lazaro Arbos. He is a good kid; immensely likeable, but I am not a fan. Still, this was a top five performance, so I had to bring him here. Vocally, it was perfect; not a flaw in it. He is a good singer but, in my meaningless opinion, not an American Idol.
    6. Elijah Liu. Nicki said he looks like a superstar. I agree. He looks the part. He seems to understand this industry and his place in it; he knows his future lies with the ladies. And he’s right. I wonder though if he’s aware of the fact that 45% of Idol voters are men; men whose support he may need when the voting margins become razor thin. Instead of, “I only sing for the ladies”, it might be more strategic for this competition to say “I am dedicating this song to the ladies, but also to everybody out there that’s ever been in love or looking for love”; a statement that is both message oriented (first part) and gender neutral (second part), so is not dismissive of 45% of Idol voters; e.g., 8,000,000 men. I don't think he sings well but he doesn't have to. He's young; he's pretty; the ladies love him, all he needs is a vehicle; e.g., producer, Justin Beiber's A&R team, and a love song with a good hook and melody, and he's good to go. The rest is already there.
    7. Nick Boddington. There was nothing wrong here; he sang it well; he is an excellent crooner, but I did not like his arrested interpretation and arrangement of this wonderful Goo Goo Dolls pop rock ballad; not enough muscle for me. But he seems like a good guy too so I wish him the best.
    8. Paul Jolley. Christine Aguilera’s and Blake Shelton’s Just a Fool taxed, tested, and eventually compromised the integrity of his upper register. Jimmy says he has a wonderful instrument but he misused it last week and it let him down this week, so his journey on Idol is an uphill climb. I wish him the best. He seems like a good guy too.
    9. Cortez Shaw. This was a misfire. He sang it well but Locked Out of Heaven is not a competition song. If Bruno Mars, the obvious choice to touch the hearts and minds of Idol viewers was It Will Rain, an emotional, vocally soaring, power ballad. Even though he has no clue how this game is played, he is, in my opinion, the most malleable and marketable male R&B singer in the competition.
    10. Vincent Powell. I am disappointed that End of the Road was poorly received but I agree with the judges; Vincent definitely lost the plot on this one. But I want to personally thank him for Lenny Williams’ Cause I Love You, the best R&B love song ever recorded. I begged and pleaded for ten years but never thought I’d hear it on the Idol stage. Angela Peel sang Shirley Murdock’s As We Lay, the second best R&B love song ever recorded, in season one. If I can convince someone to sing my three favorite rock songs: Stairway To Heaven, November Rain, and Whiter Shade of Pale, all my Idol dreams will be realized.
    I second who you selected on 1-4. Love Charlie. Only thing bad about him last night was that outfit, shades of Silence of the Lambs. For 5 I will pick Nick. I disagree with the judges on Nick. Loved him.
    You can do it!

I get an unstable vibe from Charlie. I don't like Seacrest a bit, but I will say that I think his experience may have enabled him to say the right things to Charlie last night. I think it was from his heart and not the earpiece. I think he wanted to prevent a true meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I get an unstable vibe from Charlie. I don't like Seacrest a bit, but I will say that I think his experience may have enabled him to say the right things to Charlie last night. I think it was from his heart and not the earpiece. I think he wanted to prevent a true meltdown.
    I like Ryan, and from what I have read, the contestants really like him
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I like Ryan, and from what I have read, the contestants really like him
    As long as there are Kardashians and Jenners on my tv screen, I cannot tolerate Ryan! It's his fault! lol
    NFL1 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast