+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: 3/6 AI 12 Las Vegas Voting Round #2 **West Coast Spoilers**

To the Point

Re: 3/6 AI 12 Las Vegas Voting Round #2 **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    Curtis doesn't do it for me.

Devin, I quite enjoyed & WindyD, I too am a sucker for the Espanol. He may be my fav so far.
    quoted myself to apologize to WinkyD. I just realized I had typed your screen name incorrectly.

I like Elijah the best. Devin has a great tone, but I don't care for songs in half english/spanish. Curtis, Burrell, and Vincent have great voices, but I don't like their song selections. Cortez is confused and unpredictable. Lazaro and Charlie need to go home ASAP. Overall, I'm really disappointed in the men this season but I'm really excited about several of the ladies.

Devin. Of all the boys he is my favorite so far. I liked him last week and I liked him this week.

I prefer the fake Charlie to the vulnerable Charlie. I'm afraid if he is put through that he will have a breakdown every week.
    NCLurker likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Keith finally called out Charlie for being disingenuous and pretentious. He saw through his act. And then Charlie cried perhaps in an attempt to get some pity votes. Man, that guy needs psycho therapy and I can't believe the infatuation of many here in the FORT despite his bad vocals and awkwardness on stage. He needs a couple more years of seasoning. That tone is very grating. His ego got shot down by the judges. Like Zoanette, he was a producers' pick and the judges have to throw him under the bus for the voting round, although they were actually being frank and honest with him. So it seems that Lazaro will make it to top 5 boys. Many here are also infatuated with him but I find him just a mediocre singer. The stand outs for me are Paul & Devin and I also like Burnell. Elijah is just canon fodder and that's why they put him in the death spot. As for Vincent, he was in the pimp spot but he lost his mojo after last week. Curtis is not my style.

I think this is who should go though.

Devin
    Paul
    Burnell
    Curtis
    Vincent

Yea, there will be only one white guy in that field (the producers have succeeded in eliminating the WGWG unless Paul Jolley pulls a fast one on us). Nick may be the 2nd white guy but I think Lazaro will get in over him. Devin, Paul, Burnell, and Curtis are locks I think. So the only one in danger is Vincent after that performance but I prefer him over Curtis.
    NFL1 likes this.

March 06, 2013: The Top Ten Boys

1. Charlie Askew. This is the first time in the twelve year history of this show (I havenít missed a single episode) that I disagree completely with all four judges. I played back the original eight times, and then played back Charlieís performance. His was an accurate cover. The problem was that we heard a little boy with an untamed high tenor trying to do manís work, which resulted in what Randy called ďscreamingĒ but screaming is an integral part of hard rock culture, just as melisma is integral to the gospel/R&B culture. I donít know if the judges are unfamiliar with this song or simply donít like it, but Phil laughs and screams in the original. In addition, Phil Collins said the song is about a young teen that falls in love with a much older prostitute, who didnít love him back; which triggered the anger, angst, resentment, and maniacal pleading that permeate these lyrics. So in my opinion, what Charlie did tonight was not only appropriate; it was necessary; he played the part and played it well. I am a die-hard old school R&B and classic hard rock fan, and a huge Genesis fan, and I didnít think this tribute was blasphemous or disingenuous. I absolutely loved it! Thank you Charlie. He is a bona fide fringe dweller so Iím not sure exactly what the judges thought they were getting. My very first impression of Charlie was the second coming of Josiah Leming, another Idol fringe-dweller that Randy and Paula liked initially but refused to send through to Top Twenty. But Josiahís subsequent albums proved, beyond all shadow of doubt, that he is the best lyricist to ever foot on the Idol stage. The judges didnít like Charlieís performance tonight but that doesnít make them wrong, bad people, or unqualified experts. All four of them have excellent music credentials; they know their stuff. It simple means that they didnít like this performance. I respect them, so I respect their opinions, but the comments to Charlie still broke my heart. Was it really necessary to reduce this wonderful, courageous kid to tears? A socially dysfunctional kid like Charlie is uniquely vulnerable; he is, for lack of a better phrase, an open sore, so you canít keep picking at him until he does something back stage that creates a media nightmare. At some pint, you have to stop, as Mariah did. I hope America sends him through if not for Mama, for Rocket Man; that was a unique master class performance. If he comes back and if he picks another classic rock song, I hope itís something with a memorable and relatable melody; e.g. Led Zeppelinís Stairway to Heaven is a perfect vehicle for what he does best.
    2. Devin Velez. Heís a vocal technocrat in a bow tie, so I am not convinced that he is an artist or a pop Idol, but he generates beautiful, exquisite, crystal-clear tone and perfect pitch, and all of it came together tonight in a truly magnificent performance, one of the best Iíve seen on the Idol stage. Good job Devin.
    3. Burnell Taylor. Keith says his voice is unique but I donít know; he sounds eerily similar to Anthony Hamilton to me. I kept hearing Can You Feel Me in my head. Burnell is a terrific singer; and as we witnessed last week, a marvelous caresser of lyrics; a true artist; one that I look forward to seeing each week. I'm Here was also a magnificent performance.
    4. Cutis Finch Jr. His I Believe I Can Fly was good theater, loaded with passion, but not a great vocal; not the equal of Luther Vandross' Superstar (that was insanely good). I also think R. Kellyís Turn Back the Hands of Time and The Storm Is Over are better vehicles for what he does. Curtis is an authentic gospel R&B singer. He is another contestant that I look forward to hearing each week. I love what he does.
    5. Lazaro Arbos. He is a good kid; immensely likeable, but I am not a fan. Still, this was a top five performance, so I had to bring him here. Vocally, it was perfect; not a flaw in it. He is a good singer but, in my meaningless opinion, not an American Idol.
    6. Elijah Liu. Nicki said he looks like a superstar. I agree. He looks the part. He seems to understand this industry and his place in it; he knows his future lies with the ladies. And heís right. I wonder though if heís aware of the fact that 45% of Idol voters are men; men whose support he may need when the voting margins become razor thin. Instead of, ďI only sing for the ladiesĒ, it might be more strategic for this competition to say ďI am dedicating this song to the ladies, but also to everybody out there thatís ever been in love or looking for loveĒ; a statement that is both message oriented (first part) and gender neutral (second part), so is not dismissive of 45% of Idol voters; e.g., 8,000,000 men. I don't think he sings well but he doesn't have to. He's young; he's pretty; the ladies love him, all he needs is a vehicle; e.g., producer, Justin Beiber's A&R team, and a love song with a good hook and melody, and he's good to go. The rest is already there.
    7. Nick Boddington. There was nothing wrong here; he sang it well; he is an excellent crooner, but I did not like his arrested interpretation and arrangement of this wonderful Goo Goo Dolls pop rock ballad; not enough muscle for me. But he seems like a good guy too so I wish him the best.
    8. Paul Jolley. Christine Aguileraís and Blake Sheltonís Just a Fool taxed, tested, and eventually compromised the integrity of his upper register. Jimmy says he has a wonderful instrument but he misused it last week and it let him down this week, so his journey on Idol is an uphill climb. I wish him the best. He seems like a good guy too.
    9. Cortez Shaw. This was a misfire. He sang it well but Locked Out of Heaven is not a competition song. If Bruno Mars, the obvious choice to touch the hearts and minds of Idol viewers was It Will Rain, an emotional, vocally soaring, power ballad. Even though he has no clue how this game is played, he is, in my opinion, the most malleable and marketable male R&B singer in the competition.
    10. Vincent Powell. I am disappointed that End of the Road was poorly received but I agree with the judges; Vincent definitely lost the plot on this one. But I want to personally thank him for Lenny Williamsí Cause I Love You, the best R&B love song ever recorded. I begged and pleaded for ten years but never thought Iíd hear it on the Idol stage. Angela Peel sang Shirley Murdockís As We Lay, the second best R&B love song ever recorded, in season one. If I can convince someone to sing my three favorite rock songs: Stairway To Heaven, November Rain, and Whiter Shade of Pale, all my Idol dreams will be realized.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 03-07-2013 at 04:35 AM.
    NFL1, CupidGuest, Shoepie and 1 others like this.

Wow! Amazing review. Thank you!
    Count your blessings!

I think it's interesting that of the 10 ladies, I can easily pick 5 that will/should go through and probably could add a 6th and maybe a 7th as well. After last night's performances by the guys, I'm having a hard time coming up with even 4 that I think should advance.

And on a completely separate note....I think their first theme week should be "Just Sing Anything that Isn't a Ballad". Two straight nights of mostly ballads has put me in a coma. I was so happy Cortez sang an up-tempo song that I didn't even care if it was good or not- I was just happy if wasn't slow and snooze-worthy.

ETA:
    Regarding Charlie.... I think it's nice that he is quirky and different, but because he has some (self-proclaimed) social issues, I'm not sure American Idol is the vehicle for him to demonstrate his uniqueness. Being on Idol requires a thick skin at times, and I'm not sure he can handle the critiques every week if he happens to have a mis-step, as he did last night. I don't find it entertaining, in fact I find it downright uncomfortable, to watch someone stand on stage and cry (or try not to) after being told that their best actually sucked. I'm hoping he doesn't make it through to the Top 10, simply because I don't think he's mentally ready for it. Once he gets chewed up and spit out of the Idol Machine, he won't be the same fun, offbeat kid that walked into the auditions many months ago.
    Last edited by Maybaybie; 03-07-2013 at 07:08 AM.
    NCLurker likes this.

To the Point

lindenfrost, I agree with much of what you said, but I especially agree with your comments on Lazaro & Cortez.

Charlie's facebook page is chock full of comments like, "You got all 50 of my votes". I guess that app idea is working. I never dial 50 times. I don't have anything with apps on it, but a lot of people do. I wonder how that will affect voting results this year.
    Count your blessings!

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Charlie's facebook page is chock full of comments like, "You got all 50 of my votes". I guess that app idea is working. I never dial 50 times. I don't have anything with apps on it, but a lot of people do. I wonder how that will affect voting results this year.
    I didn't vote at all. I just can't bring myself to be that involved. However, it makes me cringe to think he might make the Top 5. I just don't think he will be able to handle any harsh criticism and you know there will eventually be some much harsher than last night AND his vocals just aren't there.
    NFL1 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast