+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 2/21 AI 12 Las Vegas Round #2 **West Coast Spoilers**

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: 2/21 AI 12 Las Vegas Round #2 **West Coast Spoilers**

Big chance Charlie went over based on personality rather than singing talent?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I still don't get the Charlie looove and he was never among my favorites and don't think he will be.

I remember Curtis being pretty good. I look forward to Mathenee next week.
    I still don't get it either that people are mesemerized by this Charlie. Judges agree that his vocals were nothing to write home about. They just love his personality with nothing really much vocally to back it up. Lots of theatrics tonight (not only from him) but really not much substance. I'm not sure if he was the one that Nikki fought for or maybe that was Elijah. Of course Charlie got through at the expense of Johnny Keyser, that seems to be a given since Charlie can screw up any song and the judges will still put him through. I was never impressed by him, and tonite was his worse. The girls are definitely better than the boys (so far) but I hope they will not do the same for Zoanette. She's quirky like Charlie but not in a pleasant kind of way.

It's anti-climatic that they put Devin and Johnny last together. Devin would obviously go through that was a no brainer. They should have put Johnny and Charlie or Elijah last because Johnny after all have better vocals than those two. Interestingly, if Jimmy didn't put Paul through, I wonder if Johnny would have taken his place. Too bad for Johnny, eliminated in Vegas again for the 2nd straight year. So far, only Amber Holcomb has made it from last year's castoffs. I think Nick Boddington will make it next week too.

What I don't like about this Sudden Death round is that 10 will perform and then five of those 10 will be eliminated. Then in the next episode, the second group of 10 will compete for their place in the top 10. With this format, the top 10 are not a true representation of the most talented of the 20. If all 10 singers in one group were fantastic and all 10 from the second group were dreadful, the top 10 would be comprised of 5 excellent and 5 dreadful singers. With such a long and drawn out audition process, one would think that the producers would want to facilitate the judges in choosing the best of the best, not the best of two arbitrarily assigned groups. That's why a Wildcard round would be nice to offset the flaws of the Sudden Death round.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 02-22-2013 at 02:38 AM.
    NFL1, CupidGuest, Debb70 and 1 others like this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Oh Boddington. I like him too.

I've seen two recaps on different sites now saying Charlie was the worst of tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    So what if Jimmy Iovine had decided not to keep Paul? I wonder who the one on the cusp was that would have made it if Paul hadn't. I'm glad they didn't tell them, although Idol isn't above that. I'm glad they kept it to themselves this time.
    I think the judges were split on Paul and Johnny. So naturally those two should have been put together as the last to be selected. It was strange that they didn't do that. If they did, then Jimmy could have made a comment on why he didn't pick Johnny and why he picked Paul. And the public would have known who the other contestant that the judges were split on.

Randy has been on point in his judging this season (ironically) and he is right when he said that Charlie's performance looked more like a school recital. Without looking, I bet Charlie is the VFTW pick among the guys. He could be the worst singer vocally tonite and he wasn't even any better than Chris or JDA when it comes to performing (they at least commanded the stage). Charlie really looked awkward on stage. I thought he was cringe worthy. Undeserving to go through. He may be Sanjaya part 3 (Tim Urban was part 2)

BTW, LOL when Seacrest said about Johnny, that they needed more masculinity on stage. Then they brought in JDA. I thought that was funny. Also LOL when he thanked JDA for sharing us his glitter after he was booted out.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 02-22-2013 at 03:25 AM.

As much as Randy sputters about it being a singing competition, it is, in fact, a tv show with ratings first and foremost. I think they lost some viewers with Nikki's early antics and Charlie is their ace in the hole for bringing viewership up. Zoanette may be, too, but I hope not. Just being good vocally isn't enough - there are multiple sining comps out there and belters are a dime a dozen. There has to be a reason for people to turn the channel to AI. The people who are endeared by young Charles are going to be pulling for him even more after his nervousness last night - as long as it doesn't continue to affect his performances.
    I'm sure that going into the groups of 10, the producers and judges had a short list and made sure they were not all in the same group.
    NFL1 likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Top top Bottom that had to be one of the weirdest nights ever. There was no one that had exceptional vocals & even Curtis who was close to being on pitch was just to showy. All in all though I do agree with the 5 they put through. I too wonder what would have happened if Jimmy had said no to Paul. Jda was the most entertaining, but even if his vocals had blown the roof off & the judges had put him through, I just don't see America voting for him. I mean there is Adam Lambert gay & then there is in your face Jda gay. Is America ready for that?

I, too, think they put Charlie through because they know America loves him and it's all about the ratings. I don't think this Sudden Death round was live, but does anyone know if it was taped recently? If not then I guess they actually wouldn't know that America seems to love Charlie- so now I'm a bit perplexed. Maybe they just assumed we like to root for the underdog. I, personally, didn't like his performance and thought it to be off-key and distracting. I much preferred JDA, and I don't even remember hearing him sing during the early rounds. He entertained me last night, and I think if he cut down on some of the theatrics and just sang that his vocals would be much better- but after the snoozefest of ballads last night I was happy to see JDA doing his thing anyway.

One good thing about this Sudden Death round is it gives the singers not shown up until now a chance for the audience to get to know. I think I had seen more of the guys last night in the earlier rounds than I had of the girls from the night before. I think there were about 4 or 5 of them that I had never seen. I was really hoping Shuba would go through because I think her voice is great- but she didn't go herself any favors with her Gaga performance.
    NFL1 likes this.

The Las Vegas rounds were performed and taped the nights before they showed... girls Tues. and boys Weds., so yes, I'm sure they have their ear to the ground as far as who people are tuning in to see.
    And I don't think it was an accident that the editing set Curtis up against Charlie during Hollywood group performances. Manufacturing drama is part of the game. All admiring feelings for Charlie aside, Curtis seems to have a flinty-eyed, pissed off countenance to me.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

I couldn't STAND Nikki's antics and facial expressions last night, and was grateful that those she wanted to marry/have babies with went home except Charlie...I knew they had to keep one, and he was the best of her three. She will lose all credibility if she doesn't keep it real to the audience. Despite what she says, and how much she doth protest, it is NOT all about her and her opinions.
    Shoepie likes this.

My favorite of the night was Devin. Charlie I am kind of on the fence on. I love his personality, but can he really sing? I haven't figured that out yet. Curtis - yuck. I don't like him at all. Nikki was beyond weird with her comments towards the guys she liked.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast