+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Like Tree387Likes

Thread: 5/23 AI 11 FINALE Part 2: Results and Hoopla **West Coast Spoilers**

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Re: 5/23 AI 11 FINALE Part 2: Results and Hoopla **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    The music business wouldn't be a business if it didn't make money, but there's no long-term gain when you hand over a contract and money to a winner who's not going to sell any downloads or CDs or concert tickets. They might as well have set fire to the cash spent on the aforementioned WGWG, who are unfortunately nothing more than Wikipedia footnotes. If AI doesn't produce winners who are stars they lose credibility. If they lose credibility they lose viewers, which is happening now. If they lose viewers eventually there is no show. I know AI alum are making livings, but the voting public doesn't care who's on Broadway because it's beyond the scope of most people. You can count the number of broad-spectrum AI successes on one hand and still have a finger left over to flip someone the bird, which is pathetic when you're 11 seasons in. (Not to mention Hudson & Daughtry didn't even win their seasons). The slide started with the Ellen season - I love her, she's terribly funny & charming, but the season was awkward & embarrassing. Whatever star power JLo brings, or retro kitsch that is the most generous way to describe Tyler, isn't enough either. Nope, it's a broken-ass operation, and there should be enough marketing talent on board to put the life back in it. They are supposed to be star makers. They're trying to sell us the same bill of goods that was believable a few years ago, but it sure isn't now.
    Forgive me for being cynical (or is it realistic?) but American Idol lost credibility ages ago! Still it is one of the top rated shows commanding a seemingly ridiculous number of viewers.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I think one of the biggest problems, also, sits with the judges. They show favoritism something fierce and while they mean for the audience to vote the way they are leading them, it often backfires. Jessica is a prime example of that. They praised her to high heaven and what did the public do? Voted her off.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    The music business wouldn't be a business if it didn't make money, but there's no long-term gain when you hand over a contract and money to a winner who's not going to sell any downloads or CDs or concert tickets. They might as well have set fire to the cash spent on the aforementioned WGWG, who are unfortunately nothing more than Wikipedia footnotes. If AI doesn't produce winners who are stars they lose credibility. If they lose credibility they lose viewers, which is happening now. If they lose viewers eventually there is no show. I know AI alum are making livings, but the voting public doesn't care who's on Broadway because it's beyond the scope of most people. You can count the number of broad-spectrum AI successes on one hand and still have a finger left over to flip someone the bird, which is pathetic when you're 11 seasons in. (Not to mention Hudson & Daughtry didn't even win their seasons). The slide started with the Ellen season - I love her, she's terribly funny & charming, but the season was awkward & embarrassing. Whatever star power JLo brings, or retro kitsch that is the most generous way to describe Tyler, isn't enough either. Nope, it's a broken-ass operation, and there should be enough marketing talent on board to put the life back in it. They are supposed to be star makers. They're trying to sell us the same bill of goods that was believable a few years ago, but it sure isn't now.
    I think the main problem with Idol is they are looking for a certain look. They could care less if the person can sing that well. They are trying to fill some sort of niche they have in their Idle brains. I knew this the moment they told Phillip him singing off key was ok. Phillips looks are what they are banking on. They think he will have teenie boppers and cougars clamoring for his music because of his looks. I think this is the whole reason we have this wgwg trend for so long. Its the look that is in.

What other shows do better is they want singers who can hold a note. I mean you would not pay money to see a comedian that was not funny. A musician that could not play a instrument. Idol knows what Phillip lacks in vocals can be put in on the backend. The fans don't find out until they lay out money to see them live. Then the goose as they say is cooked and Phillip will be lost in the shuffle like Taylor Hicks.
    JohnnyK likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I think the main problem with Idol is they are looking for a certain look. They could care less if the person can sing that well. They are trying to fill some sort of niche they have in their Idle brains. I knew this the moment they told Phillip him singing off key was ok. Phillips looks are what they are banking on. They think he will have teenie boppers and cougars clamoring for his music because of his looks. I think this is the whole reason we have this wgwg trend for so long. Its the look that is in.

What other shows do better is they want singers who can hold a note.
    I mean you would not pay money to see a comedian that was not funny. A musician that could not play a instrument. Idol knows what Phillip lacks in vocals can be put in on the backend. The fans don't find out until they lay out money to see them live. Then the goose as they say is cooked and Phillip will be lost in the shuffle like Taylor Hicks.
    And yet, of all the other contestants from all the other shows, we can really look to only 2 that have had Idol level success...Miranda Lambert & Chris Young, both from the now defunct Nashville Star.

Everyone wants to hold Taylor Hicks as an example, but are there any other contestants that have secured a 3 month gig in Las Vegas? If this is failure, I reckon many would love to have a dose of it.
    Lil Bit and xmaskat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    And yet, of all the other contestants from all the other shows, we can really look to only 2 that have had Idol level success...Miranda Lambert & Chris Young, both from the now defunct Nashville Star.
    And it took both of them years after competing in Nashville Star to find success. Miranda didn't win her season, so you could look at that as an excuse. But Chris Young did win in 2006 and I guess he is just now finding some success on the radio.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post

What other shows do better is they want singers who can hold a note. I mean you would not pay money to see a comedian that was not funny. A musician that could not play a instrument. Idol knows what Phillip lacks in vocals can be put in on the backend. The fans don't find out until they lay out money to see them live. Then the goose as they say is cooked and Phillip will be lost in the shuffle like Taylor Hicks.
    People pay good money all the time to see live performances of singer who need autotune to hold a note and a three ring circus around them to distract from that fact.

If Phillip ends up making a decent living making music - in whatever capacity - then he is a success. Funny, but I was sending my sister links to various performances of several of the contestants and she said that she loves Phillip's voice, that he is head and shoulders better than Jessica, and that he's the only one whose music she would buy. So - it's all subjective. I for one wish them all well and if none of them become superstars, that's fine.
    JavaJo likes this.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    People pay good money all the time to see live performances of singer who need autotune to hold a note and a three ring circus around them to distract from that fact.

If Phillip ends up making a decent living making music - in whatever capacity - then he is a success. Funny, but I was sending my sister links to various performances of several of the contestants and she said that she loves Phillip's voice, that he is head and shoulders better than Jessica, and that he's the only one whose music she would buy. So - it's all subjective. I for one wish them all well and if none of them become superstars, that's fine.
    One need look no further than the incredibly out of tune Taylor Swift.

Miranda Lambert was pretty much a hit right out of the box, Me & Charley Talking did pretty well for her. Of course she had to build to the level she is at now, but she started building immediately.
    taracran likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Miranda Lambert was pretty much a hit right out of the box, Me & Charley Talking did pretty well for her. Of course she had to build to the level she is at now, but she started building immediately.
    Not really. She finished third on Nashville Star in 2003 and Me & Charlie Talking didn't come out until 2005.

Jessica just sang at this year's National Memorial Day Concert in Washington. She was wearing a white lace dress and she sang beautifully.
    JohnnyK likes this.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    Jessica just sang at this year's National Memorial Day Concert in Washington. She was wearing a white lace dress and she sang beautifully.
    According to the judges, didn't she always?

+ Reply to Thread