+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Like Tree387Likes

Thread: 5/23 AI 11 FINALE Part 2: Results and Hoopla **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/23 AI 11 FINALE Part 2: Results and Hoopla **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by ilja View Post
    It really doesn't matter what they do. People will complain whenever their favorite does not win. It's human nature. And some people just complain period.

We all think we know best. It's easy to try and find another reason besides the obvious of why our favorite did not win. They simply did not get the most votes.

What happens if they make all the suggested changes and the WGWG still wins? Should they make a rule stating white guys need not apply?
    Very true. Changes can be made to all these shows, and they still couldn't keep everyone happy.As this was the lowest watched finale( it could of been because of others shows) they might look at some changes. OTOH they might not care enough. J'lo wants more money- is she worth it? I don't think so, but others that like her might.

Yo J'lo 20 million?? really?
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I would think the producers at this point must be very dismayed at the WGWG trend. Clearly they can't sell these guys to the public at large.

The format of the show doesn't work any more. Two of the biggest success stories - Daughtry & Underwood - were rock-solid when it came to musical identity. They need to stop theme nights and start having original song nights. You can't expect the public to recognize an artist as someone whose work you might want to purchase if you don't have any idea of what they're going to sound like, and you don't know what they're going to sound like if all you hear are crappy cover songs by flavor-of-the-month artists and tired old popstars like Elton John.

On the other hand, the show itself and what it purports to stand for - discovery of the next great pop star - is redundant. You don't need a great, or even good voice to be a massive pop star. Top 40 is now more "sound" than "music". What percentage of top 40 radio songs contain digitally altered samples with a bit of rapping, and a female singer trilling a few notes in between? How is that sound remotely relevant to anything we hear on the AI stage? I mean, how much chutzpah does JLo have to tell those kids on stage that they're "flat", when every last bit of her own vocals are digitalized?
    Now, I like some of that top 40 stuff - I'm particularly fond of Pitbull. There's plenty of new sound that has great energy and is very listenable. And yes, there is the odd exceptional talent like Adele, but if she was on AI as an unknown she would probably be chided for her weight & inability to perform outside her "wheelhouse".
    They yap about it not "just" being a singing competition but make it one anyway, when 99% of top 40 is unabashed style over substance. Make up your minds. If you want a top 40 star, open your arms to hip hop artists, rappers, etc. If you want a vocal artist, stop treating contestants like high school band members who have to follow a playlist the music teacher's been using since 1981.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Rhianna would not have made it to Hollywood week.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

When you look at how many of the kids have a career in music that they would not have gotten without the exposure on AI, you have to say that AI is a resounding success.

Many, many kids have left their little towns and are out in the world singing......It doesn't have to be fill-an-arena- success. Lots of AI kids are on Broadway ( and did Simon hate Broadway), doing clubs and playing their music. AI has done it for them...winners or not
    BTW and SpringMaiden27 like this.

Yes, and that's great, but I'm talking about the show itself. The producers are looking for stars and they've turned out pitifully few, when they should be churning them out like Big Macs. Something is wrong and it starts with the audition process. Simon Cowell has great instincts but it was never totally up to him, and now that he's gone it's gotten worse. I love hearing that AI alums are making their living in the entertainment industry - hey, I got a big charge out of seeing Constantine Maroulis doing a guest star turn on Law & Order SVU a couple weeks ago. But the show's not living up to its promise of finding the next great pop star. It's less fun to vote when you know you're voting for someone who has already used up their 15 minutes and when the public knows it, less and less people will watch.
    Thor and MsDiva2007 like this.
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

Actually the producers are looking for money.....and AI has made that for THEM. Any success for the kids is just an added bonus
    Lil Bit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    Actually the producers are looking for money.....and AI has made that for THEM. Any success for the kids is just an added bonus
    Exactly! It's about the show and not about creating a superstar. If one of them happens to become a superstar like Carrie, great, they have someone they can point to for a success story. The rest they just sweep under the rug and go on to the next batch.
    Debb70 likes this.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Exactly! It's about the show and not about creating a superstar. If one of them happens to become a superstar like Carrie, great, they have someone they can point to for a success story. The rest they just sweep under the rug and go on to the next batch.
    Exactly! I don't think they have any real interest in creating an American Idol, but rather the business of their show making money. A few success stories are plenty for them.

I don't have much interest in watching them parade a bunch of people who have no talent, but want to be a super star across the stage. You can just listen to Top 40 for that.

The music business wouldn't be a business if it didn't make money, but there's no long-term gain when you hand over a contract and money to a winner who's not going to sell any downloads or CDs or concert tickets. They might as well have set fire to the cash spent on the aforementioned WGWG, who are unfortunately nothing more than Wikipedia footnotes. If AI doesn't produce winners who are stars they lose credibility. If they lose credibility they lose viewers, which is happening now. If they lose viewers eventually there is no show. I know AI alum are making livings, but the voting public doesn't care who's on Broadway because it's beyond the scope of most people. You can count the number of broad-spectrum AI successes on one hand and still have a finger left over to flip someone the bird, which is pathetic when you're 11 seasons in. (Not to mention Hudson & Daughtry didn't even win their seasons). The slide started with the Ellen season - I love her, she's terribly funny & charming, but the season was awkward & embarrassing. Whatever star power JLo brings, or retro kitsch that is the most generous way to describe Tyler, isn't enough either. Nope, it's a broken-ass operation, and there should be enough marketing talent on board to put the life back in it. They are supposed to be star makers. They're trying to sell us the same bill of goods that was believable a few years ago, but it sure isn't now.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    The music business wouldn't be a business if it didn't make money, but there's no long-term gain when you hand over a contract and money to a winner who's not going to sell any downloads or CDs or concert tickets. They might as well have set fire to the cash spent on the aforementioned WGWG, who are unfortunately nothing more than Wikipedia footnotes. If AI doesn't produce winners who are stars they lose credibility. If they lose credibility they lose viewers, which is happening now. If they lose viewers eventually there is no show. I know AI alum are making livings, but the voting public doesn't care who's on Broadway because it's beyond the scope of most people. You can count the number of broad-spectrum AI successes on one hand and still have a finger left over to flip someone the bird, which is pathetic when you're 11 seasons in. (Not to mention Hudson & Daughtry didn't even win their seasons). The slide started with the Ellen season - I love her, she's terribly funny & charming, but the season was awkward & embarrassing. Whatever star power JLo brings, or retro kitsch that is the most generous way to describe Tyler, isn't enough either. Nope, it's a broken-ass operation, and there should be enough marketing talent on board to put the life back in it. They are supposed to be star makers. They're trying to sell us the same bill of goods that was believable a few years ago, but it sure isn't now.
    ITA about Ellen's effect on the show. I didn't watch much that season because it was so bad. I do enjoy Steven, I must say and I think J-Lo is fine. I think that all shows just eventually run their course and people get bored with it.

I think its obvious that the people voting aren't always in synch with the people who buy CDs or who play them on the radio. That's the only explanation for Taylor Hicks and Kris Allen (whose name I had to look up because I couldn't remember it just now). Look at the stars that came out of Taylor's season - Chris Daughtry, Kat McPhee and even Kellie Pickler are all more successful than the actual winner. I don't think anyone could argue that Adam Lambert is more successful than Kris Allen.

All that being said, I plan on buying Phillip's CD and I would never buy one of Jessica's CDs.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread