+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Like Tree387Likes

Thread: 5/23 AI 11 FINALE Part 2: Results and Hoopla **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/23 AI 11 FINALE Part 2: Results and Hoopla **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Omg that was Lil John on the mike while Jlo was lip syncing her song. Now I see why they tell phillip its ok not to hit the notes. hmm
    That was Wisin & Yandel , not Lil Jon.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

To the Point

I think the only time a winner isn't really a winner is when their career doesn't end up affording them a profitable outcome in the long run regarding musically oriented opportunities, other "ins" in the entertainment industry as well as enough $$ to live comfortably.

Musical taste is extremely varied from person to person. Do I think that P2 was the most gifted singer this season? Certainly not. However, there are plenty of singers out there who have had a vast and profitable career without the best voice. Often the stylings and ability to connect are much more important. I think Bruce Springsteen lacks the gift of voice but he has had an incredible career. Joe Cocker was not a fabulous singer but he made the most of what he had and his voice was very recognizable. Fogherty was a fine example of the same. I hope that Phillip finds his niche, and I do happen to think he has a niche to find. I missed the performance night this week but I did hear the studio version of P2's coronation song and I really liked it. I would never have thought that was a coronation song for AI, which is a good thing.

Jessica has a very good voice but she definitely depends on the big notes and tricks. The whole season I kept trying to figure out what style would really fit her that would work in today's market and I really couldn't figure it out. Every choice she made was very much like an older style that isn't a fit for the current scene. I know I am not expressing myself well here, but I can't figure out another way to phrase what I think.

Loved Skylar with Reba! I also thought it was wild how much Skylar fit with Reba's style. I love watching Skylar because she always seems to be about the burst out of her skin when she sings. It's as if she loves it so much and has so much fun that her body just can't contain it. I think she has GREAT potential to make it in country music. I forget she's only 18.

Love the singing the phone book! That was a fantastic segment!!!

Phillip really has been looking more and more unhealthy each week. I really, really hope he is able to get everything taken care of ASAP! I know that he has press obligations, but they need to do the ones that are a must and then get him in and get him healthy!!
    ilja and Jaceegirl like this.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Yes. She does. As someone who remembers Jennifer from her days on Broadway over 30 years ago when she was in Dreamgirls and significantly heavier than she is now, I think she looks terrific. For many singers - on Broadway and not - Jennifer Holliday is an icon.
    She most certainly does look terrific. Long live Jennifer Holiday!
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Jessica is not my Girl. I did not vote for either. I preferred Joshua myself. I just think the winner of a singing show should at least be able to sing on key.
    Are you talking about Phillip? He does a great job staying in tune. Every singer has a stinky note now and again so your comment is confusing.
    Lil Bit likes this.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    That was Wisin & Yandel , not Lil Jon.
    Lil Jon was also on the mic - he was shouting out on it in the beginning of the song. He was behind JLo, and I believe he was playing a synthesizer. It was just a quick shot of him, so I can see how folks might have missed him.

Jennifer Holliday is great to listen to, but I have to agree, the way she contorts her mouth and face while she sings, is a huge turn off. She's an artist I can listen to forever but would be hard pressed to want to see her sing live.
    Uncle David likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Lil Jon was also on the mic - he was shouting out on it in the beginning of the song. He was behind JLo, and I believe he was playing a synthesizer. It was just a quick shot of him, so I can see how folks might have missed him.
    You sure that wasn't Flo Rida? I can't find a video showing him and I didnt' recognize the voice and I listen to Lil Jon a lot. (That's my confession...I like a bit of rap and love Lil Jon..lol)
    MsDiva2007 likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    You sure that wasn't Flo Rida? I can't find a video showing him and I didnt' recognize the voice and I listen to Lil Jon a lot. (That's my confession...I like a bit of rap and love Lil Jon..lol)
    Yup I am sure. I did manage to find one little tidbit about the line up for last night's star performances... its a youtube link, not sure I can post it? But anyway it states... Jennifer Lopez - "Going In" and "Follow The Leader" ft. Lil Jon and more, for her song. I am sure there will be more posted about it later in the day.
    JavaJo likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    Are you talking about Phillip? He does a great job staying in tune. Every singer has a stinky note now and again so your comment is confusing.
    I agree. Phillip doesn't always follow the original melody, but he is in tune. There's a difference.

I'm in the minority, as usual, but my two favorites from the start were Phillip and Jessica. I'm so happy Phillip won. He's one of the few Idol contestants that I will buy a CD from, but looking at my collection, I guess I'm a fan of white guys with guitars because I have CD's from Bo Bice, Chris Daughtry, and David Cooke. (I also have Kris Allen's but that's only because it was given to me by a friend.) Congrats to Phillip!

I have to add that I would have been much more impressed with the marriage proposal if Ace hadn't thrown in that plug for the jeweler. I thought that was a bit tacky.
    Last edited by Lil Bit; 05-24-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    libgirl2 and mesachick like this.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

Another AI season on the shelf.....interesting finale.

a) the split on Fantasia's pants was just laughable...The legs looked like she split them putting them on and there was no time so out she came.....and the hair!!! If I didn't know it was her, it would have taken me a while to recognize her, if at all.
    'nuf said about that

b) I think Jennifer has sucked all she can out of AI and I do hope she moves on with her revitalized career ( thanks to AI). Didn't her label drop her right before she started doing AI?.....so she is back bigger than ever. Hated her number and hated Rhianna's.

c)Jessica knows the fashion style that fits her and I give her credit for that...she always looks very good. However, I finally figured out what is wrong with her. She was blessed with a large voice but is too young to have developed her vocal style....not to mention the lack of enunciation!!! She does the Whitney songs just like Whitney.....no individuality. When she was singing with Jennifer H., it was evident that she was doing Jennifer H. We have never seen her sing like that..... so right now Jessica is derivitive....not original. Maybe with time.

d) I remember watching Jennifer H on ALLY MCBEAL. She had a recurring role as a church singer. She was a bit bigger and younger and had better hair on the show. I thought that hair was going to fly through the air what with the head shakes last night. A tad over the top, but SHE is an original and the originator of the Effie role on B'way. Jennifer Hudson softened the personality ( and the song) considerably when she did it in the movie.

e) I thought we had Skylar's fashon choices under control the last few weeks, but she reverted right back to horrid last night. Doesn't she look in the mirror..or get help? She pulled out every mistake she has ever made with that outfit last night. Tight plastic pants that showed her thigh and rear, the white fluffy ruffle that did not hide the bad areas and then the belted jacket on top.....black, white, black...just perfect for magnifying every flaw. I almost couldn't concentrate on the music with that outfit bouncing across the stage.
    Glad to see Reba.....and she looked wonderful for her age.

f)I am amazed that Phillip could keep smiling thought the entire season with the pain I would think he is in......He never gave any indication that things were bad for him. He was on Kelly this morning via phone and he down played the health issues, until Kelly asked him directly if he was having an operation and he did admit that he would be.

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar

I'm pretty sure Lil John was there. I didn't record it, but my recollection was he was working turntables, or something similar, at the beginning of one of Jennifer's songs.

ETA: Just saw a video online that shows Lil John repeating 'Put your, put your hands up' over and over again at the beginning of the song. It's about 20 seconds in.
    Last edited by Uncle David; 05-24-2012 at 12:03 PM.
    JavaJo likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

+ Reply to Thread