+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree387Likes

Thread: 5/23 AI 11 FINALE Part 2: Results and Hoopla **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/23 AI 11 FINALE Part 2: Results and Hoopla **West Coast Spoilers**

And once again the cute guy win. When are the producers going to realize that their voting system is flawed? I have not watched since Adam lost because once it gets to the final 2 you can always tell who will win. Congrats to Phillip (sp).
    A cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Honestly, listening to Jessica sing tonight, if she's not playing with the notes and is just singing straight out, she really doesn't sound very good. That's likely one reason she can't sing anything but ballads.
    I've always thought Jessica had a great voice. Still do, but you are absolutely right. I was working when she sang her 3 final songs and could only listen to the tv. Her limitations were very, very clear. She is not Whitney or Mariah. I think the blond girl did a better job with some of the bigger songs.

Reg. Phillip. One reason I actually really ended up liking him is that he stayed true to himself. He kept the guitar, refused the make-over, sang what he wanted rather than what the judges thought would work best, etc.

He basically said either you like me as I am or you don't. In a way, he is a subtle version of Adam Lambert. Adam did his own thing all the way through (one of the best Idol contestants ever). I like that about Phil.

Another thing about Phil vs. Jessica. I'm an older woman, and I do happen to think Phil is drop-dead gorgeous. But his music and his tone is to my liking. But so was Joshua's, Adam's, Kelly C's, Fantasia's, Kat McPhee's, Taylor Hicks. I'm all over the board. I would never vote for a kid just because he is good looking - as has been implied about us older white women.
    Last edited by Jexter; 05-24-2012 at 01:18 AM.
    ilja likes this.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Something stands out to me that some of you panning the WGWG trend seem to have missed. No Southern finalist has ever lost to a non-southern finalist UNLESS you don't consider Oklahoma a Southern state. Also 8 of 11 winners have come from the South.

Season 1: Kelly (TX) vs Justin (PA)
    Season 2: Ruben (AL) vs Clay (NC)
    Season 3: Fantasia (NC) vs Diana (GA)
    Season 4: Carrie (OK) vs Bo (AL)
    Season 5: Taylor (AL) vs Katherine (CA)
    Season 6: Jordin (AZ) vs Blake (WA)
    Season 7: David Cook (MO) vs David A (UT)
    Season 8: Kris (AR) vs Adam (CA)
    Season 9: Lee (IL) vs Crystal (OH)
    Season 10: Scotty (NC) vs Lauren (GA)
    Season 11: Phil (GA) vs Jessica (CA)

If you go by those numbers, Jessica didn't stand a chance. Even against Joshua the odds would have been in favor based on history.

I don't know if it's because more Southern people watch and vote or if Southerners just get behind their own more than other parts of the country. I find it very interesting that only 2 finalists have come from California, which is the most populous state.

I do believe Southern voters love the wholesome types with good back stories. These so called WGWG guys tend to have that. And I'll also point out that the ultimate WGWG on Idol -- Chris Daughtry -- didn't win. Bo Bice didn't either (even though he wasn't allowed to play his guitar on the show). So I don't think a WGWG is a given. Music is very subjective and it seems like people tend to forget that.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

Quote Originally Posted by taracran View Post
    And once again the cute guy win. When are the producers going to realize that their voting system is flawed? I have not watched since Adam lost because once it gets to the final 2 you can always tell who will win. Congrats to Phillip (sp).
    So true. I always say its unfair that one person pretty much knows they are not going to win but have to go through all the hoopla just the same. They are interviewing Jessica on the local news now and she seems happy. I am betting because of all the music people waiting to sign her up.
    taracran likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

What a fantastic ending to the season! Just seeing the emotion that Phillip experienced, how he couldn't get through the song. I could tell he just wanted to go be with his family. Made me cry!! So happy he won! Grats to P2!
    Lil Bit, bee stung lips and ilja like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Here's something to ponder. Someone up thread brought up the point that Phil held true to himself the whole season by resisting the make over, keeping the guitar, and singing what he wanted. All of those are qualities I respected about him. I just have to wonder if TPTB at 19 Entertainment are crapping themselves a bit because they know this guy is going to be hard to handle. I think that's partly why they secretly breathed a sigh of relief when Chris Daughtry did not win and Adam too. They seem to like winners they can handle and control. P2 won't be that guy. Makes me wonder if that's partly why the judges were pushing Jessica and Joshua so hard. They would be easier to handle. What do you guys think?
    ilja likes this.

Woot Way to go Phillip! Now go home and get well please. Thanks for always keeping me entertained
    NCLurker and mesachick like this.

I think that could be true. Last night Jimmy smiled large when Jessica sang her coronation song, but didn't smile at all when Phillip sang his. Jessica's song was chosen for her [while I read that Phillip wrote his own song]. Yes, he will be difficult - good for him!

Edit to admit to a correction. Drew Pearson and Greg Holden wrote "Home" and Jimmy loved it. Maybe he wasn't smiling because he ate bad clams for dinner.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-24-2012 at 01:58 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Congrats to Phillip and his fans. I hope he takes care if his health issues right away. It would've been strange if Jessica won, especially since she was "voted off" by America a few weeks ago, but was saved the judges. She'll have a career as a singer.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I think that could be true. Last night Jimmy smiled large when Jessica sang her coronation song, but didn't smile at all when Phillip sang his. Jessica's song was chosen for her [while I read that Phillip wrote his own song]. Yes, he will be difficult - good for him!

Edit to admit to a correction. Drew Pearson and Greg Holden wrote "Home" and Jimmy loved it. Maybe he wasn't smiling because he ate bad clams for dinner.
    When Ruben Studdard won, TPTB realized he was going to be difficult after the fact. He fought for more youthful hip hop/r&b and was really difficult in the recording process. They didn't do much to promote him afterward. I get the feeling Ruben will be a picnic compared to P2. I agree good for him. But I just wonder how much energy 19E will put into him if he gives them fits.

+ Reply to Thread