+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: 5/22 AI 11 Finale Part 1: Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fanatic

Re: 5/22 AI 11 Finale Part 1: Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Wow, only 6 pages of posts for the finals! I didn't realize
    It was on last night, was watching DWTS. We got home after DWTS had started
    So didn't realize it was even on at the same time. I saw the recording this morning!
    Why did they change nights, stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by maxkl View Post
    So didn't realize it was even on at the same time. I saw the recording this morning!
    I wonder how many other people did not realize it was on last night and if it reflected with the votes. I agree with you about it being stupid to change the night especially for the final. I have no idea what the reason could possibly be.

I thought tonight was the finals I think a lot of people that wanted to see it , may have missed it.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    LOL on JLo saying that Phillip sounded like nobody else in the last song when Randy just said that he sounded like Mumford & Sons. Then later Steven says that it reminded him of Paul Simon.
    And for me it reminded me of John Mayer. JLo is a twit in the realm of Paula Abdul. I hope she does leave. I actually think Kelly Clarkson would be a nice choice for a judge. She's been through the process, and she can sing. I think she'd be polite but constructive.

As for the finale, I would rather have had Joshua there than Jessica. But since she was, I'll critique her first. If Idol truly wants to pay tribute to Ms. Whitney, they'd ban her songs from their show for life. 99% of the time the Idols fall way short on her originals, and this was no exception. First off, what happened to giving Jessica age appropriate songs? That was not. And secondly, Jessica can belt a little like Whitney, but she's not in her league or Mariah's league. They would have better served her by giving her a song from Taylor Swift and letting her change it up a bit to suit her voice. Then she would have appeared more young and fresh and less pageant queen.

For Jessica's second song, at least she didn't re-visit Whitney which I just knew she would since that was her real ultimate moment this year. But I don't think The Prayer did her any favors. With Chris Mann singing that on The Voice finale and really singing it so well, she should have gone with something else. I'm sure she didn't know about that performance, but someone at the show did. I'm sure a lot of people compared it (and very unfavorably) with that one. Personally,I find the song very boring aand don't care for it regardless of who's singing it. But I would still turn to Chris Mann over Jessica.

Her final song............OY! WAY TOO OLD FOR HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The lyrics were in no way appropriate for a 16 year old. Whoever gave her that song should be slapped! I don't think that song would have been appropriate for any of the girls on this show except Elise or the other "old lady" who went home very early. I absolutely hated it, and Jessica didn't seem to love it either.

Now for Phillip, I personally like him so don't have much bad to say about him. He's right in my wheelhouse. The new John Mayer cd is my favorite go-to music right now so Phil fits in that mood. Still, I didn't turn cartwheels over Stand By Me. I thought it was a bad choice for him and wondered why they didn't borrow from John Mayer for him. It made me mad that they gave Jessica a more current song and Phillip one from the 60's. Made it seem like they were trying to make her seem more relevant than him when in fact it's just the opposite. Movin Out was good, but I love me some Billy Joel. I actually wish Phil had taken a slower Billy Joel song and twisted it like what David Cook did with Hello. That could have been his real moment. I'm no fan of the revisiting songs either, but I'm sure they did that so the artists have more time to focus on the coronation song.

Now Phil's coronation song is a winner. It really suits him and really is relevant to today's music scene. Idol coronation songs are usually crap. Remember when Kris Allen and Adam Lambert got stuck with that awful No Boundaries? Kris had dropped it 1/3 a way into the tour cause he hated it so much? I actually bought Adam's version but not Kris' and still have it. My iTunes picked it up the other day and I was like oy! A Moment Like This is propbably the only Idol swan song that got air play until last year. Whoever found this one did a nice job with it or else Phil walked in and said um let me spin this my way and it worked. I'm not sure which it is but nicely done.

I voted for the first time this year. Mine was as much a vote against Jessica and the judges as it was a vote for Phil. I don't like her -- never have. She should have waited a couple of years to try out because she's not mature enough for this. I wish they'd raise the age to 18 so we don't get all these not ready singers. I'm not sure either of these can have a long career though. Kelly and Carrie are two who will. Kelly is still relevant 11 years later, and believe it or not, it's been 7 years since Carrie won. I don't think any other contestants (even Chris and Adam) will have the long-term success Kelly has seen. Chris has not been as mainstream since his first cd, and I don't see Adam as a big pop star (although I'm admittedly not as well versed as I used to be). Scotty is big right now, but that will fade. He's no George Strait or Alan Jackson. In 5 years I see Jessica on Broadway and Phil in the Tony Lucca pre-voice realm. Idol claims to want to create superstars, but they haven't really been too successful at that.
    waywyrd and Debb70 like this.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

I think the season premier of So You Think You Can Dance is on Thursday. Maybe they miscalculated the run of the show?

Ryan mentioned the change of day last week ... but honestly I only heard him say it once. I just happened to think about it yesterday afternoon.

Maybe the Skyping is better on Tuesday ...
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    I wonder how many other people did not realize it was on last night and if it reflected with the votes. I agree with you about it being stupid to change the night especially for the final. I have no idea what the reason could possibly be.
    Ryan did say at the end of last weeks show it would be on Tuesday. I think the lack of post is due to viewer apathy alot of people are not please and could careless about the final 2. Lost me when Joshua who deserved to be there was cut last week.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

As for the finale, I would rather have had Joshua there than Jessica. But since she was, I'll critique her first. If Idol truly wants to pay tribute to Ms. Whitney, they'd ban her songs from their show for life. 99% of the time the Idols fall way short on her originals, and this was no exception. First off, what happened to giving Jessica age appropriate songs? That was not. And secondly, Jessica can belt a little like Whitney, but she's not in her league or Mariah's league. They would have better served her by giving her a song from Taylor Swift and letting her change it up a bit to suit her voice. Then she would have appeared more young and fresh and less pageant queen.

For Jessica's second song, at least she didn't re-visit Whitney which I just knew she would since that was her real ultimate moment this year.
    I think they were or she was hell bent on singing a Whitney song. Perhaps trying to recreate her "ultimate moment" actually her only moment in my opinion.
    She was doing a ballad second and an I don't know what but I don't like it last ... why not choose something fun and a little up-tempo like Whitney's "How will I know".

If I were a judge and asked who won the first round ... I would have said it needed a do-over.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady View Post
    I'll give Phillip's song another listen without the distraction of the marching band. I admit it suited Phillip's style and voice very well - better than most "coronation" songs.
    It's a matter of taste. I loved the lyrics and I just like that kind of music better than the Whitney wannabe belting. I didn't like the songs when Whitney sang them, and I've never liked any of the imitators. I like Phillip and would prefer to see him win (of the two left), but I would rather have had a Joshua - Hollie finale, and either one of them winning would have been fine with me.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I think they were or she was hell bent on singing a Whitney song. Perhaps trying to recreate her "ultimate moment" actually her only moment in my opinion.
    She was doing a ballad second and an I don't know what but I don't like it last ... why not choose something fun and a little up-tempo like Whitney's "How will I know".

If I were a judge and asked who won the first round ... I would have said it needed a do-over.
    Three boring ballads in a row? Gak!

I don't know if it means anything, but I voted for Phillip for about an hour last night (four hours of voting? really?) and almost never got a busy signal. I'm hoping he wins, but I'm not holding my breath.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Ryan did say at the end of last weeks show it would be on Tuesday. I think the lack of post is due to viewer apathy alot of people are not please and could careless about the final 2. Lost me when Joshua who deserved to be there was cut last week.
    This.

I recorded AI and watched it after DWTS ended. I don't like Phil2 or Jessica, so there was no need to watch it in real time. That had to be the most boring AI show ever. P2's coronation song was the best of the bunch, although I had to laugh that his song needed to have a marching band and a ton of background singers to help him out.
    I'm sure Phillip Phillips will be crowned as the new WGWG#5 American Idol.

If Joshua had been in the final 2 I would have watched when it aired, and voted my fingers off for hours afterward. I will watch the show tonight just to see Joshua, Skylar, and Colton again.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast