+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: 5/22 AI 11 Finale Part 1: Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/22 AI 11 Finale Part 1: Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

LOl this is what you get America when you vote for things other than the best voice. You get Jessica and Lounge singer Phillip. It could have been a finale with talent and instead its half right.lol. Going to Watch DWTS A show who actually had talent in their finale.
    Ellen likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Phillip's last song was AMAZING!!! He should win for that song alone!
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Loved Philip's song Home. The rest of the show was a snoozefest. Why have the 2 of them each sing 2 repeat songs from earlier this season? Complete waste of time! We already heard them sing those songs..... It took us about 10 minutes to watch this 1 hour show fast forwarding through all the filler...
    mesachick likes this.

Wow this finale must have been a winner. I mean only 43 post for a Idol finale. Wow
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Phillip's last song was amazing. Personally, I think my all time favorite of the finale songs. And I cast my one and only vote this whole season for that song. So very good.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

A bit boring show. Not a big fan of either Jessica or Phillip. Jessica's is strong in the power moments, but not solid, a bit shaky in slower, gentle parts. She can't hold the notes steady unless she's singing the power parts. Still not a fan of P2's voice, but he last song for P2 suited him.

I certainly do not agree that they sing the same song again. "I Have Nothing" for Jessica is way too predictable. I would have preferred "Listen" or "You'll Never Walk Alone". Her original song wasn't very good but she did the best she can with it. Phillips original song was way better but it the standing O was a bit forced as if it to make up for a boring night. I think Joshua would have made it more exciting. Oh well...I just hope it's not another WGWG winner.

LOL on JLo saying that Phillip sounded like nobody else in the last song when Randy just said that he sounded like Mumford & Sons. Then later Steven says that it reminded him of Paul Simon.

May 22, 2012: The Top Two

My favorites left weeks ago (Skylar, Holly, and Joshua), so objectivity and reason now reign. For me, this is a no-brainer: Jessica Sanchez is the better singer, and itís not even close; but I think Phillip will win, because heís more popular among adult females and he presents a better back story (rags to riches). But if ever there was a chance to anoint another female winner, this is it. If Jessica doesnít win this year, Idol may never crown its fifth female winner.

1. Jessica Sanchez: Simon Fuller is a great producer but I canít believe he started the show with this boring song (I Have Nothing). Except for the handful of notes she growled, this was a perfect copy; she sang it well. The Prayer, a beautiful composition with mellifluous melody, was also a tad boring. But thereís no denying she sang it well; parts of it were simply rapturous and ethereal. I donít agree at all with the judges about Change Nothing. Honestly, this song could just as well have been written for Kelly Clarkson; itís her, from start to finish; a pop ballad with soaring vocal. No, itís not Jessica; the judges are right; but itís got a very contemporary sound; and should do well on the charts. Jessica is not an R&B singer and if these judges push her toward that, she will definitely struggle. R&B, rock, and country are not about notes, musicality, musicianship; itís about authenticity and belonging. She can definitely sing this genre but her R&B is learned and artificial; not at all like Joshuaís. Iíve said it many times but R&B and rock purists can spot a clone a mile out; she is not R&B; she is not of them. Her future lies in pop music! Also, I was a little shocked to be honest that Jenny advised her to fight for her music vision. Jessica canít do that; not now! Investors put up millions of dollars to produce an album and you think they are going to engage and debate Jessica about song selection? Donít think so! Just ask Kelly Clarkson, Elliott Yamin, and Bo Bice about it! Yes, Randy, Jenny, and Steven can; they are super stars. Jessica is not! She must do what sheís told until sheís proven herself in this business; then she can discuss and debate music concepts and visions. Once there, producers will do whatever she wants; to keep it constant. It really is that simple. Good job, Jessica! I hope you win.
    2. Phillip Phillips. Heís a good kid but left up to me, heíd finish runner-up in this one. Stand By Me, another boring pick by Simon Fuller, was off-key, off-melody, and boring. Movin Out wasnít near as much fun the second time round. Home, on the other hand, is all or nothing. Itís a novelty, so could fare very, very well on the charts, if promoted properly. On the other hand, it is unlike anything currently at or near the top of the pop charts, so could also fail miserably. It will be interesting to see how this plays out for Phillip. This is a big gamble for 19; I'm surprised frankly; usually they do not push against the frontier and rattle cages; it's a very bold and risky move and I applaud them for it. If I had to venture a guess, I donít think this song is something kids will like, or buy. Best of luck to you, Phillip. Youíre a good kid. And thanks for We Got Tonight. It was beautiful.

Accolades: Good job judges!! Great job Jimmie! You outdid yourself. Everything is right with the world. It took forever but my boy Seacrest finally found both a soul-mate and a decent tailor in the same year. Good job Ryan! Special thanks to Nigel and Simon for all that they do.

Updated (to include season 11; which caused a lot of changes from last year):
    Best Overall American Idol Performances (seasons 1-11); rank: top (best) to bottom.

1. Itís a Manís World (Joshua Ledet)
    2. A Song For You (Elliott Yamin)
    3. When A Man Loves A Woman (Joshua Ledet)
    4. House of the Rising Sun (Haley Rhinehart)
    5. Whipping Post (Bo Bice)
    6. There Will Come a Day (Melinda Doolittle)
    7. Uprising (James Durbin)
    8. Whole Lotta Love (Adam Lambert)
    9. Jealous Guy (Casey James)
    10. Imagine (David Archuleta)
    11. Hello (David Cook)
    12. Father Figure (Ace Young)
    13. Mad World (Adam Lambert)
    14. Bridge Over Troubled Water (Clay Aiken)
    15. I Will Always Love You (Jessica Sanchez)
    16. Grace Kelly (Josiah Leming)

Best American Idol Rock Performance (seasons 1 Ė 11):
    1. Whipping Post (Bo Bice)
    2. Uprising (James Durbin)
    3. Whole Lotta Love (Adam Lambert)
    4. Jealous Guy (Casey James)
    5. In a Dream (Bo Bice)
    6. Bohemian Rhapsody (Constantine Maroulis)
    7. Hemorrhage (Chris Daughtry)
    8. Bennie and the Jets (Haley Rhinehart)
    9. Dare You To Move (David Cook)
    10. The Boxer (Lee Dewyze)
    11. Cry Baby (Alison Iraheta; the exit performance)
    12. Heavy Metal (Zakk Wylde was brilliant)
    13. Maggie May (Paul McDonald)
    14. We Got Tonight (Phillip Phillips)

Best American Idol R&B Performance (seasons 1 Ė 11)
    1. Itís a Manís World (Joshua Ledet)
    2. A Song For You (Elliott Yamin)
    3. When a Man Loves a Woman (Joshua Ledet)
    4. I Believe (Fantasia)
    5. If I Can Dream (Elliott Yamin)
    6. Since You Been Gone (Melinda Doolittle)
    7. Can We Talk (Nikko Smith)
    8. And I Am Telling You (Lakisha Jones)
    9. God Bless The Child (Jacob Lusk)
    10. Moodyís Mood For Love (Elliott Yamin)
    11. Letís Get It On (Nikko Smith)
    12. This Womanís Work (Michael Lynche)

Best American Idol Country Performances (seasons 1-11)
    1. I Will Always Love You (Jessica Sanchez)
    2. There Will Come A Day (Melinda Doolittle)
    3. Jesus Take The Wheel (Danny Gokey)
    4. I Could Not Ask For More (Clay Aiken)
    5. The Change (Phil Stacey)
    6. Independence Day (Carrie Underwood)
    7. What Hurts The Most (Danny Gokey)
    8. Smokey Mountain Memories (David Archuleta)
    9. I Canít Make You Love Me (Allison Iraheta)
    10. Make You Feel My Love (Kris Allen)
    11. I Love You This Big (Scott McCreery)
    12. Didnít You Know How Much I Loved You (Skylar Laine)

Best Recorded Albums (seasons 1-11)
    1. Another Life (Josiah Leming); easily Idol's most intelligent musician; a genius with a perfect music IQ; the best album ever by any Idol alum; and its not even close.
    2. Come On Kid (Josiah Leming); The best lyricist and storyteller this show has ever seen; intimate, authentic, no holds-barred; straight form the gut.
    3. Coming Back To You (Melinda Doolittle); the best female Idol ever; and this album solidifies her supremacy; exquisite vocals; loaded with heart and elegance.
    4. Break The Silence (John Peter Lewis); haunting and beautiful; loaded with melody, soul, fantastic cogent lyrics, and beautiful tone.
    5. Breakaway (Kelly Clarkson); she lost many a battle with the studio but still managed to produce this glorious album; music at its absolute finest.
    6. See The Light (Bo Bice); soul-stirring sophomore effort; heart-felt; honest to god, country-fried, southern rock.
    7. What If We Were Real (Mandisa); a powerhouse vocal; from gospelís newest and most successful female artist; best gospel album by any Idol alum.
    8. Play On (Carrie Underwood); masterfully crafted; this thing is insanely good; wonderful lyrics and story telling; one of my favorite albums ever.
    9. Casey James (Casey James); if you like country blues, you will love this album; a magnificent first effort. This kid will be a super star.
    10. American Dreams (Paul McDonald via The Grand Magnolias); if you buy just one Idol album this year, let it be this; clever; uplifting; and loaded with charm.
    11. Just Like You (Allison Iraheta); purposeful; astute; entertaining, feisty, melancholy, youthful, and musically intelligent.
    12. Stranger Things Have Happened (Justin Guarini); others do it too; and well (jazz), but nobody does it better than Justin.
    13. True Beauty (Mandisa); I watched her on Idol but never in my wildest dream thought sheíd turn out this good; the best A&R crew of any Idol alum. The only Idol to get a second nod here.
    14. Break The Spell (Daughtry); 3rd time a charm; out of the Nickelback shadow and into the light; finally his vision; some real music.
    15. Love & Life (Latoya London); best make-out album ever by any Idol alum.
    16. Bucky Covington (Bucky Covington); you wouldnít expect it based on Idol but this thing is surprisingly good; beautifully structured; loaded with heart.

Best Recorded Song
    1. Song Without A Reason (Josiah Leming; via Come On Kid); one of the most beautiful and intensely personal and emotional songs Iíve heard in my life.
    2. Live Like Weíre Dying (Kris Allen; via Chris Allen); brilliant lyrics; brilliant composition; best debut single from any Idol alum.
    3. Temporary Home (Carrie Underwood; via Play On); not only some of the best lyrics ever in country music; but the best music video ever from any Idol alum; had me balling like a baby.
    4. No Fire (Jon Peter Lewis; via Break The Silence); exquisite phrasing and beautiful melody; a perfect composition.
    5. American Dreams (Paul McDonald via The Grand Magnolias; from American Dreams); corny folk rock but original, inspirational, and very, very clever; couldnít stop smiling.
    6. Want (Adam Lambert; via On With The Show); not in the same class lyrically but this kid sings his face off on this song; will send chills down your spine; Adamís best work ever.
    7. Another Life (Josiah Leming; via Another Life); another absolute gem from Josiah; lyrically, itís masterful; just a brilliant, brilliant musician.
    8. Donít Waste The Pretty (Alison Iraheta; via Just Like You); well written; message-oriented; great vocal; perfectly produced; a fantastic record.
    9. One Last Song (Josiah Leming; via Another Life); another master class effort from the incomparable Josiah Leming.
    10. Breakaway (Kelly Clarkson; via Breakaway); a beautiful song about rising above and finding the courage to experience life to the fullest; song selection is not her forte but she hit pay dirt with this one. Not the best singer; but easily the best voice in the history of American Idol.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 05-23-2012 at 04:04 AM.

Popping in again to say GOOOO Phillip!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast