+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: 5/16 AI 11 Performance: Final Three **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/16 AI 11 Performance: Final Three **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post

I'm not sure we can always blame miserable seasons on the judges. There are a kazillion good singers out there, but only a handful who have the entire package to really make it in the biz. Even though Idol searches the country each year, it is like finding a needle in a haystack, and they do what they can with the crop they get. That's not to say they don't make some unfortunate choices along the way, but I do think the Kelly Clarksons and Carrie Underwoods of the world are few and far between.

We have to enjoy the show for what it is. Great TV - not the discovery of the next great singer - because it rarely delivers the latter.
    The judges have always been a huge part of my viewing pleasure. We don't hear Jimmies critique until after the votes. The singers miss this. In his mentoring position he isn't given the time to get as deeply into it because they have just chosen their songs and have not worked it through. I think it is important for him, or another who is willing to give suggestions for improvement, to be on the pannel. I don't expect to see a Jennifer Hudson or Carrie Underwood every season. It is a treat when we do. So, for me, judging is a huge component. And styling these signers as welll. Someone has to step up on that end. The women looked twice their age in almost everything they wore.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I saw that show. I hope she is gone. I liked her last year, but this year she has turned into the diva I was afraid she would be when she was first given the job. I was pleasantly surprised last year....but she fell right into the opinion I had of her.

She better thank always AI for boosting her career big time. All those commercials she has gotten must pay huge money
    It's been reported that she is just be holding out for more money
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    I'm not sure we can always blame miserable seasons on the judges. There are a kazillion good singers out there, but only a handful who have the entire package to really make it in the biz. Even though Idol searches the country each year, it is like finding a needle in a haystack, and they do what they can with the crop they get. That's not to say they don't make some unfortunate choices along the way, but I do think the Kelly Clarksons and Carrie Underwoods of the world are few and far between.

We have to enjoy the show for what it is. Great TV - not the discovery of the next great singer - because it rarely delivers the latter.

Sidenote reg. Idol: it is stlll a very worthwhile endeavor for aspiring performers. While perhaps not launching a ton of hugely succesful careers like those of Kelly C ad Carrie U, it has allowed many in the biz to earn a living in the entertaiment world. Clay, Ruben, Fantasia, Taylor, Katherine McPHee, Jennifer Hudson, Adam Lambert, etc. And there are a few who have followings internationally but not locally....can't recall the girl's name, but a few years back there was one with a really strong asian following and she does quite well that way.
    It's also important to remember that whey are chosing who to put through, who to put in the top 24, whatever, they are casting a reality tv show, not necessarily looking for the best singers. The last few years (without Simon), we have pretty much had all of them good singers. However, they almost always put someone through who is not a great singer but who is a "character" (such as Sanjaya).

Also, I agree, if post-idol, a contestant is able to make a respectable living doing what they love, then being on the show was worth it. They don't have to be mega stars like Carrie to be successful. Lee Dewyse, for example. Is he earing his living now making music or working in a paint shop?
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    However, they almost always put someone through who is not a great singer but who is a "character".
    Good points. I would consider this year's "character" to be Hee Jun, but he was certainly a better singer than Sanjaya.

+ Reply to Thread