+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: 5/16 AI 11 Performance: Final Three **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/16 AI 11 Performance: Final Three **West Coast Spoilers**

I'm popping in to say Go Phillip! (I know i'm in the minority here haha)

I am hoping for a Joshua & Jessica finale. P2 is ok but he just doesn't cut it for me with his lack of vocals.

Love Josh. Poor guy gets grief when he so called "screams" he gets grief when he dials it back. I mean America what would you have him do? P2 can screw songs up, sing off key and just totally phone it in and he is seen as some sort of musical genius. what a crock.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Can there be a three way tie. I hate to see any of them hurt.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I'm watching Phillip's hometown right now and I noticed that they sent the Idol Security Guard with him...the big beefy guy with the goatee you see hanging around Nigel in the audience most shows. Last year he accompanied Scotty home. This time he did have to strong arm a couple of overly zealous girls out of the way.

Yes, I did notice that the commercial following Joshua's first song used the same song.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'm pulling for Philip and Joshua for F2. Philip because I love his voice and his musical style. Joshua because he's freaking adorable and has beautiful voice with loads of range. I don't see myself buying his album because I don't really dig the screaming. However, out of all the screamers we've seen on this show, Joshua is the only one I can watch perform.

I keep reading that Philip is s one trick pony but for me, that describes Jess. If it's not a ballad, she falters big time. She's a sweet kid but I think right now, she'd get swallowed up.
    Mari79 likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict View Post
    Hoping Jessica goes home tomorrow...I just want to see the reaction of the judges....I feel the need for some real drama this season!
    Me too. Actually, I wanted her to go home when she supposedly had least amount of votes. She has a nice voice, but I still think she sounds like she's always running out of breath. At 16, maybe she needs a few more years to develop her lungs. Lol!

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mari79 View Post
    I'm popping in to say Go Phillip! (I know i'm in the minority here haha)
    You are not in the minority Mari! Love Phillip! He's the only one left that I would actually buy their album. In fact, I've never wanted to buy ANY contestants album from AI before and I would buy his. Love his voice, love his quirky dance moves, love his facial expressions when he sings, love his personality and ....well, he's a cutie! He has my vote....and I NEVER vote.

Phillip and Jessica for Final 2. Totally over Joshua. He can sang, for sure. But its the same old same old same old thing over and over again. I'd like to see a girl win again and Jessica has an amazing voice that gives me "goosies"

#1 Phillip - #2 Jessica - Bye Bye Joshua
    Mari79 and JavaJo like this.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

I thought Jessica will be singing the Etta James song.
    Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind (Jessica Sanchez cover) - YouTube

Not sure why why she sang that terrible Aerosmith song. When she could have sang any song that she sang greatly on Youtube. Or her AGT winning song "Surrender"
    The best of Jessica Sanchez - 14 years old - YouTube

Or she could have sung "Listen"
    Jessica Sanchez performing Listen by Beyonce - YouTube

Didn't plan on watching the show, but I heard the Top 12 was going to be in the audience so I tuned in. Wasn't much of a P2 fan, but his "We've Got Tonight" won me over. I could actually hear his nice voice, no growl. He did look nervous, though, he kept wiping his hand on his knee. He's got my vote.

May 16, 2012: The Top Three

I love American Idol; itís my favorite television show of all time, but half these performances were just not very interesting. Itís unusual for this season; an anomaly, but I didnít get much from any of these performances tonight. I think Phillip will win, if only because heís learned to play the game better than the rest, and because, quite frankly, The Deep South simply supports their own better than other parts of the country (no guess; a proven fact; all but two of the Idol winners hailed from the south and 85% of all Idol music products have ties to the South (Nielsen Sound Scan). Joshua is from the Deep South as well and is much better singer than Phillip but has no chance of winning this thing. In order to win Idol, one needs the adult female vote, and this year that demographic belongs to Phillip Phillips. Some viewers (I am not one) are voting an agenda; something they have every right to do; to even the score; anoint a female and/or an underrepresented minority the winner; for balance; for parity; for political correctness, for equality. This bodes very well for Jessica, one of the best pure singers this show has ever seen; in my opinion, their best bet yet to even the score. But in order for her to win sheíll need to, not only re-write history; sheíll need to turn it on its head. Fact: Jessica is a West Coast girl but Southerners own this competition; won eight of the last ten (yes, Missouri belongs to The South; even the powerful SEC agrees). Fact: the state of California has yet to produce an Idol winner. Fact: The west coastís best; Katharine McPhee, Adam Lambert, and Blake Lewis could do no better than second. The state of California is blessed with multiple entertainment options; because of that, natives are not about to set aside two hours of their lives for voting. Fact: No sixteen year old has ever won American Idol. The youngest winners are Jordin Sparks and Scotty McCreery, both seventeen. The average age of Idol viewers is 47 y/o with a distinct preference for contestants that at least look like an adult. Jessica is a wonderful singer with booming pipes but is so petite you need a microscope to find her sometimes. Fact: Phillip Phillips will win a majority of the female vote and a majority of the male vote. People incorrectly assume that Chris Allen won because he was pretty (he is) and because of texting (donít believe it) but the deciding factor was the male vote which he won.

So ask yourself this: which of the three remaining contestants is most representative of typical working class American men and women? Which of the three actually works full time? The answer; the obvious answer, as far as I could determine, is Phillip Phillips. Upsets happen all the time on this show but from both a historical and purely objective perspective, this thing has the making of a slam dunk for Phillip Phillips; the third best singer in this competition in my opinion. But as always, time will tell. I have always liked Joshua immensely. I like Jessica; sheís just not one of my favorites. I also like Phillip (the new and improved Phillip) but heís not one of my favorites either. Since I like all three, I will be happy no matter who wins. Except for Colton, who turned out to be very unlikeable, the judges did a great job this season. As a group, Randyís right; this is the best collection of talent ever to set foot on the Idol stage. Good job Jenny, Steven, and Randy! And Jimmie Iovine was a thousand times better this season than last. But we are nearing the final so letís rank the best performances of the night.

1. Jessica Sanchez. Technically, it wasnít even close; she owned the night. My All was a bit weird. I prefer her power vocal to coddling and caressing high notes with a thin upper register falsetto and ultra-thin whistle register (made famous by the late Minnie Ripperton and popularized by Mariah Carey). Jessica doesnít need falsetto; sheís not limited; she possesses unlimited range. Itís a beautiful song; a perfect song choice, but she seemed very uncomfortable with it for some reason, so the performance lost something in translation. I Donít Want To Miss a Thing was a technical success and accurate; beautifully presented, but definitely not good television. Randy called it ďslowĒ; I call it boring. Iíll Be There was offered up as is; another technically proficient and accurate presentation, but unfortunately also a tad boring; frankly, Jimmie let her down badly on this one. The fact that Jessica is here at #1 should tell you how I felt about the rest. Her technique, tone, and vocal production easily bested the other two this night. Song selection let her down. But she was the better of the three, so I ranked her here; awarded her top billing. Good job Jessica and welcome home; welcome back to the front of the line!
    2. Phillip Phillips. Thereís a reason Beggin never topped the charts in America; itís uninteresting; the lyrics are unmanly; and it's musically unsophisticated. Steven did him no favors. As a die hard R&B and hard rock fan, I am genetically indisposed to Matchbox Twenty and Disease is the reason; a very boring and self-loathing composition. But Jimmie Iovine found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow with Bob Segerís We Got Tonight, a brilliant marriage of singer and song; a perfect pick. Had I listened to this on the radio I would agree with Randy; vocally, this was easily Phillip's best vocal of the season. Unfortunately I couldnít get past the obvious pain and discomfort etched across his brow; dude was scared to death;so couldnít really join him on his journey. The lyrics are great; the melody absolutely exquisite, and his tone was, believe or not, crystal clear, but Phillip, the man, the artist, was not all there; not fully engaged, so this wonderful marriage didn't work as well as it should have. But that doesnít change the fact that this was quite simply the best pick of the season. How good was it? Jimmie Iovine wonít find another gem like this in his lifetime.
    3. Joshua Ledet. Of the three, Joshua is my favorite contestant. Iíd Rather Go Blind seems like the perfect pick at first glance, I can see why Randy picked it, but proved otherwise on the Idol stage; because Joshua was never invested in it. It was slow, torturous, and plodding; took forever to build up a head of steam. It was a good performance; just not what Iíve come expect from Joshua. His Imagine was beautifully presented, measured, controlled, and passionate; but not the equal of David Archuleta's. No More Drama simply did not work. Jimmie said he saw this at the Grammys. I did too. Heís right. What Mary J did that night sent chills down my spine; it was obviously very personal for her; cathartic, and emotionally painful. But Mary J, like so many artists, is a tortured soul, where everything comes from the deep dark recesses of her personal life; places Joshua has never been, seen, or known. But I can understand why Jimmie picked it; it just sounds like it ought to work. Like Randy's I'd Rather Go Blind, it seemed the perfect pick, but failed the Idol stage. As soon as I saw Joshua dancing and bouncing around the Idol stage, I knew immediately that he had either misunderstood these lyrics or misinterpreted these lyrics, so could not possibly become one with them to project them accurately. It doesnít happen often, but he definitely over sung this one. Heís been so good this season; Itís a Manís World was easily the best performance ever on the Idol stage with When a Man Loves a Woman the third best Idol performance ever and second best performance of the season, so I hope America disagrees with me and keeps him safe. He is a magnificent singer; the best since Elliott Yamin, and I am thankful for all that he has given me and wish him the best always.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 05-17-2012 at 03:50 AM.

+ Reply to Thread