+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 218
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

  1. #201
    FORT Fogey Jaceegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,225

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    If there's a shocker, I hope it's Jessica. I just can't connect with her. She's singing songs way too old for her, faking emotion that the judges praise as the real thing, and just plain flat out boring. Yes, she has a voice, but she needs to come back around when she's older and a little more seasoned. And just in general? I'm sick to death of them harping on feel the lyrics, be emotional, blah blah. yeah, it helps to understand the lyrics, but sometimes I song is just a song. Can you imagine doing a two hour concern emotionally investing yourself in each song?
    I totally agree with you on all counts. Another thing IMO is the age of these contestants. They certainly have not experienced life as older singers may have and there is nothing wrong with just singing your heart out. In regards to Jessica I think that while she may have a beautiful voice to some I think she imitates singers. She hears someone sing and has the ability to copy them. How would that work if she is declared the winner? When it is time for her to make her own album she has no style of her own. Again, JMO, but I think part of the reason she can't connect to people is because her whole life has been centered around singing. She is home schooled and most likely has not experienced things that most 16 year old kids experience. She may be wonderful in years to come, but she needs to enjoy life and as you said come back later. Why didn't Jimmy do as he said he was going to do and have her start singing younger songs? Jimmy needs to take his own advice.

  2. #202
    Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,846

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I underderstand that some people enjoy Joshua's voice. I can respect that Joshua has some fans. In fact, he must have many, since he's been in the bottom 3 only once so far. I just don't care for his voice or style of singing. I do think it's unfalr of the judges to proclaim him the best singer to ever appear on the show and the best singer in the last 50 years. It's just BS IMO. I think they have overblown a lot with their pet singers and overblown problems with non-pets that don't exist.
    How is it overblown if it's their opinion and they really feel that way, though?
    Lil Bit likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

  3. #203
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by kireelady View Post
    Glad to read through this thread and see some Joshua fans. Yay! I like him because the dude can sing his butt off. I like that old school R&B style.

    I don't understand why people let the judges sway them so much. Why can't one just like or dislike who they choose and be done with it? Just like we all have our opinions, so do they.

    Btw, I think the band has been amazing this season, especially last night. Just awesome!
    Joshua is the one with the old soul. My SO had previously said that Joshua was no Otis Redding, and today we went and listened to Otis Redding, Sam Cooke and James Brown and then Joshua. He is no Otis or Sam ... but I liked Josh's version of "...man's world" about as well as I liked James Brown.
    My So agrees, Josh is no Otis, or Sam ... but he thinks they ... especially Otis ... are incomparable. He does agree that Joshua is very good. I guess we should all remember that both Otis and Sam were young too when they recorded these songs. Perhaps if it's Josh and Jessica in the finals ... Josh will sing "only Sixteen" to her.

    By the way ... SO also said Phillip was no John Fogerty.

    Comparisons are inevitable ... and I am not swayed by the judges, they don't know squat. But I do admit that last night I was moved by the judges, to vote more ... for Hollie, because I still think it should be Hollie and Josh as F2.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  4. #204
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    How is it overblown if it's their opinion and they really feel that way, though?
    Because it is a competition, and touting one contestant over another is just wrong. It skews things and as I mentioned before, the previous set of judges really sold Ruben over Clay and look how that worked out. I just think it disadvantages all of them.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  5. #205
    Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,846

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Because it is a competition, and touting one contestant over another is just wrong. It skews things and as I mentioned before, the previous set of judges really sold Ruben over Clay and look how that worked out. I just think it disadvantages all of them.
    I disagree. And those at home should be voting for who they like, not who the judges like. And for that matter, if a contestant isn't as good as the next contestant, why put them on the same level as the one who is? It's called a competition for a reason. Anyone who comes out and gives a stellar performance deserves praise from the judges. This isn't kindergarten where a teacher has to be careful to make sure she doesn't make one child feel less special than the other children. AI is a real competition and anyone going on that show should realize the judges comments aren't necessarily going to sunshine and daisies for them every single week. Some weeks the judges may like the performance and other weeks, not so much. But if someone like Joshua comes out each week and sings and performs well, and the judges feel this to be so, he should be praised for it. Those who aren't stepping up should step up and if not, perhaps they shouldn't have been on the show in the first place.
    Lil Bit likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

  6. #206
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    107

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I disagree. And those at home should be voting for who they like, not who the judges like. And for that matter, if a contestant isn't as good as the next contestant, why put them on the same level as the one who is? It's called a competition for a reason. Anyone who comes out and gives a stellar performance deserves praise from the judges. This isn't kindergarten where a teacher has to be careful to make sure she doesn't make one child feel less special than the other children. AI is a real competition and anyone going on that show should realize the judges comments aren't necessarily going to sunshine and daisies for them every single week. Some weeks the judges may like the performance and other weeks, not so much. But if someone like Joshua comes out each week and sings and performs well, and the judges feel this to be so, he should be praised for it. Those who aren't stepping up should step up and if not, perhaps they shouldn't have been on the show in the first place.

    Very well said. I agree with everything you say.

  7. #207
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by lorac7 View Post
    Well Jennifer & Steven have successful music careers especially Steven so I think they have a good idea who might be successful. Hollie is a nice girl but her chances of having a real career as a singer are limited, she just does not have alot of personality as a performer whereas Josh is a great performer & to some extent so is Jessica. As for Phillip he's pretty boring & unless he's a great song writer, well good luck to him.
    So I guess when Steven sings the National Anthem he just must not be feeling the song or the lyrics?

    I think Hollie has a sweet personality. So does Carrie and so does Taylor Swift. If you have to act like JLo to be successful count me out.
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  8. #208
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I disagree. And those at home should be voting for who they like, not who the judges like. And for that matter, if a contestant isn't as good as the next contestant, why put them on the same level as the one who is? It's called a competition for a reason. Anyone who comes out and gives a stellar performance deserves praise from the judges. This isn't kindergarten where a teacher has to be careful to make sure she doesn't make one child feel less special than the other children. AI is a real competition and anyone going on that show should realize the judges comments aren't necessarily going to sunshine and daisies for them every single week. Some weeks the judges may like the performance and other weeks, not so much. But if someone like Joshua comes out each week and sings and performs well, and the judges feel this to be so, he should be praised for it. Those who aren't stepping up should step up and if not, perhaps they shouldn't have been on the show in the first place.
    I understand what you are saying but I disagree with the many inequities, some very subtle. An example, Ryan introducing Jessica's last song as a "monster" of a song ... and then "here's 16 year-old Jessica Sanchez". Why are we constantly reminded of her age as if she's a prodigy. Hollie is 2 years older.

    I think they are all talented and belong there ... so why berate some. Hollie takes it like a classy young lady. The only one who sometimes talks back is Phillip .

    I do like Joshua's singing ... but honestly, he doesn't seem at ease when on stage talking. Seems very deer in the headlights.
    Last edited by echo226; 05-10-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  9. #209
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,586

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Joshua is the one with the old soul. My SO had previously said that Joshua was no Otis Redding, and today we went and listened to Otis Redding, Sam Cooke and James Brown and then Joshua. He is no Otis or Sam ... but I liked Josh's version of "...man's world" about as well as I liked James Brown.
    My So agrees, Josh is no Otis, or Sam ... but he thinks they ... especially Otis ... are incomparable. He does agree that Joshua is very good. I guess we should all remember that both Otis and Sam were young too when they recorded these songs. Perhaps if it's Josh and Jessica in the finals ... Josh will sing "only Sixteen" to her.

    By the way ... SO also said Phillip was no John Fogerty.

    Comparisons are inevitable ... and I am not swayed by the judges, they don't know squat. But I do admit that last night I was moved by the judges, to vote more ... for Hollie, because I still think it should be Hollie and Josh as F2.
    I presume the judges know more about the industry & performance art than we do.

  10. #210
    FORT Fogey MsDiva2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Del Mar, California
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,663

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    How is it overblown if it's their opinion and they really feel that way, though?
    Exactly the judges have a right to praise contestants however they like. Just as the fans do. I find it appalling when people take their disdain on the judges out on other contestants to prove to the judges a point. How does that do anything but hurt some contestant who had nothing to do with the judges feelings.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.