+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 218
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

  1. #191
    FORT Fogey Misty8723's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3,381

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I wonder if there is a shocker result tonight they will start to announce it early like they did the time that Jessica was set to go home. If it's Hollie, there will be no big news, since it's expected, but if it's any of the other 3, the judges may have to be picked up off the floor!!!!!! LOL I would love to see that!
    If there's a shocker, I hope it's Jessica. I just can't connect with her. She's singing songs way too old for her, faking emotion that the judges praise as the real thing, and just plain flat out boring. Yes, she has a voice, but she needs to come back around when she's older and a little more seasoned. And just in general? I'm sick to death of them harping on feel the lyrics, be emotional, blah blah. yeah, it helps to understand the lyrics, but sometimes I song is just a song. Can you imagine doing a two hour concern emotionally investing yourself in each song?
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

  2. #192
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,602

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    If there's a shocker, I hope it's Jessica. I just can't connect with her. She's singing songs way too old for her, faking emotion that the judges praise as the real thing, and just plain flat out boring. Yes, she has a voice, but she needs to come back around when she's older and a little more seasoned. And just in general? I'm sick to death of them harping on feel the lyrics, be emotional, blah blah. yeah, it helps to understand the lyrics, but sometimes I song is just a song. Can you imagine doing a two hour concern emotionally investing yourself in each song?
    I must applaud you for that comment. I have never understood that line of thinking either. In fact, I think it is rather presumptuous of folks to keep making those " She doesn't feel the lyrics" comments. Perhaps, you don't feel the singer, but don't put yourself inside the head of someone else & tell me what they do or don't feel.
    Debb70 likes this.

  3. #193
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    107

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    That was an incredible evening. Contrary to what many people here say, I quite enjoyed all the performances. However, I do think that of the 4, Hollie should go home and if she does, it has absolutely nothing to do with how the judges were fawning over Joshua and Jessica. I mean seriously, the judges have given Hollie standing O's and great feeedback and rightly so as she deserved them and no one complained about that but when they give her negative feedback which in my opinion based on last night's performance was deserved, the judges were being unfair and out to sway America's votes. This really leaves me scratching my head....

    In the end, the most popular contestant will win, not the best singer and if Hollie wins because she's the most popular, so be it but I do not see her having a successful career as Joshua, Jessica or Phillip. These 3 are more commercial, win or lose they will have a great career ahead of them. IMHO

  4. #194
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    107

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Although I think Hollie and Jessica can sing very well, neither of those girls has the emotional maturity to sing those two final songs. They hit the right notes, but there was no emotion behind it. I guess I'm not as impressed by vocal pyrotechnics. There are plenty of great singers, but not as many that can make you feel something. At the end of that very emotional song, Jessica's face was just blank. I did like the fact that she cited Jennifer Holliday and not Jennifer Hudson. I'm glad the judges also saw that the Bonnie Raitt song was just much too mature for Hollie. A teenage girl only thinks she understands that song. It takes someone with experience like, well, Bonnie Raitt, to really sell it.

    I really do not want to see one of those girls win. I can see what their career - or least what their first CD - would be like. They'll sing whatever ballads and semi-poppy/rock-ish songs the management team forces on them and they'll sound like everyone else on the radio.

    I didn't see Joshua sing tonight, so I can't speak to his performances. I think he's a great singer, but he's not a favorite.

    I'm sure PP won't win, but I wish he would. For all the bland white boys who've won in the last few years, Phillip would be something different. He had such a strong sense of himself and his music. I think that, even if he doesn't win, he'll have a nice career after the show. For me, the great singers aren't always the ones that can hit the highest note or have the biggest range.

    Really, if you look at the most successful alums of this show, very few of them actually won. This is probably why people are paid to scout and develop talent and it's not ALL voted on by the American public!
    I would be happy to see P2 win. He's my fave actually, I know I will buy his album.

  5. #195
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    107

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I'd like to take a moment & address something I have read many times, but never did quite grasp. How many times have we seen the statements "I hate the judges, or they need to get rid of the judges, or the judges have no honest input." Well, I am going to take the stance that without these judges, we would never have seen the level of talent this season has provided. They were the ones that chose the final group. They were the ones that had to separate the also rans from the talented final 12 ( arguably, top to bottom, the strongest 12 ever) & even if they don't very often critique these kids, they have done their job admirably. IMO!, Criticism & molding comes from Jimmy Iovine & the weekly mentors & will continue in the studio, which, for me, is much better than a kick in the ass in front of 20 million people. Simon & Paula would have given us another group of Scott Savols, Norman Gentiles, Tatianas, John Stevens, Janay Chastain, Kevin Covais & other folks that had absolutely no right to be there, no shot at winning & no possible way to sustain a career even if they had won. So, in short, I applaud what these judges have done this season.
    Amen to that.

  6. #196
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    ... I think it is rather presumptuous of folks to keep making those " She doesn't feel the lyrics" comments. Perhaps, you don't feel the singer, but don't put yourself inside the head of someone else & tell me what they do or don't feel.
    I agree about the "feeling the lyrics" ... but I do think that the singer should understand the lyrics and understand the motivation behind the song and what the song is saying. The best example was Skylar singing "Fortunate Son". It was obvious she didn't get it, and nobody helped her.

    Also ... notice that Hollie was inspired by "I can't make you Love me" as a love song, and perhaps knew there was "another way into the song" but wasn't counseled that way. In fact it was never mentioned until the critique. Jessica however, was prompted regarding her song choice telling people she's not going home. All things are not equal.


    Quote Originally Posted by WalaLang View Post
    That was an incredible evening. Contrary to what many people here say, I quite enjoyed all the performances. However, I do think that of the 4, Hollie should go home and if she does, it has absolutely nothing to do with how the judges were fawning over Joshua and Jessica. I mean seriously, the judges have given Hollie standing O's and great feeedback and rightly so as she deserved them and no one complained about that but when they give her negative feedback which in my opinion based on last night's performance was deserved, the judges were being unfair and out to sway America's votes. This really leaves me scratching my head....
    It really has absolutely everything to do with it. They were downright mean to Hollie. Even when they referred to the four of them, Jlo said "even Hollie". The contrast between their comments to her and their gushing over Jessica and Joshua is extreme. They were also mean to Elise and some to Phillip.

    Thus what I think is deserved is some equal treatment.


    In the end, the most popular contestant will win, not the best singer and if Hollie wins because she's the most popular, so be it but I do not see her having a successful career as Joshua, Jessica or Phillip. These 3 are more commercial, win or lose they will have a great career ahead of them. IMHO
    Jessica has already been eliminated and then saved by the judges, making her the judges choice not ours. Maybe they should just have a judges favorite at the end.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  7. #197
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,641

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Just for fun, let's look at Jennifer and Steven when they sing to see just how connected to their lyrics they are. Neither are that gifted vocally, but they preach something that seems off. IMO it was something they could attack Hollie on and get away with it.

    On second thought, do I really have to watch Jennifer perform tonight? YUCK!
    Jaceegirl likes this.

  8. #198
    FORT Fan kireelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    376
    Glad to read through this thread and see some Joshua fans. Yay! I like him because the dude can sing his butt off. I like that old school R&B style.

    I don't understand why people let the judges sway them so much. Why can't one just like or dislike who they choose and be done with it? Just like we all have our opinions, so do they.

    Btw, I think the band has been amazing this season, especially last night. Just awesome!
    bee stung lips and MsDiva2007 like this.

  9. #199
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,641

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by kireelady View Post
    Glad to read through this thread and see some Joshua fans. Yay! I like him because the dude can sing his butt off. I like that old school R&B style.

    I don't understand why people let the judges sway them so much. Why can't one just like or dislike who they choose and be done with it? Just like we all have our opinions, so do they.

    Btw, I think the band has been amazing this season, especially last night. Just awesome!
    I underderstand that some people enjoy Joshua's voice. I can respect that Joshua has some fans. In fact, he must have many, since he's been in the bottom 3 only once so far. I just don't care for his voice or style of singing. I do think it's unfalr of the judges to proclaim him the best singer to ever appear on the show and the best singer in the last 50 years. It's just BS IMO. I think they have overblown a lot with their pet singers and overblown problems with non-pets that don't exist.

    I think the band has done a good job.
    Jaceegirl likes this.

  10. #200
    FORT Regular lorac7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    122

    Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Just for fun, let's look at Jennifer and Steven when they sing to see just how connected to their lyrics they are. Neither are that gifted vocally, but they preach something that seems off. IMO it was something they could attack Hollie on and get away with it.

    On second thought, do I really have to watch Jennifer perform tonight? YUCK!
    Well Jennifer & Steven have successful music careers especially Steven so I think they have a good idea who might be successful. Hollie is a nice girl but her chances of having a real career as a singer are limited, she just does not have alot of personality as a performer whereas Josh is a great performer & to some extent so is Jessica. As for Phillip he's pretty boring & unless he's a great song writer, well good luck to him.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.