+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/9 AI 11 Performance Show: Top Four **West Coast Spoilers**

Although I think Hollie and Jessica can sing very well, neither of those girls has the emotional maturity to sing those two final songs. They hit the right notes, but there was no emotion behind it. I guess I'm not as impressed by vocal pyrotechnics. There are plenty of great singers, but not as many that can make you feel something. At the end of that very emotional song, Jessica's face was just blank. I did like the fact that she cited Jennifer Holliday and not Jennifer Hudson. I'm glad the judges also saw that the Bonnie Raitt song was just much too mature for Hollie. A teenage girl only thinks she understands that song. It takes someone with experience like, well, Bonnie Raitt, to really sell it.

I really do not want to see one of those girls win. I can see what their career - or least what their first CD - would be like. They'll sing whatever ballads and semi-poppy/rock-ish songs the management team forces on them and they'll sound like everyone else on the radio.

I didn't see Joshua sing tonight, so I can't speak to his performances. I think he's a great singer, but he's not a favorite.

I'm sure PP won't win, but I wish he would. For all the bland white boys who've won in the last few years, Phillip would be something different. He had such a strong sense of himself and his music. I think that, even if he doesn't win, he'll have a nice career after the show. For me, the great singers aren't always the ones that can hit the highest note or have the biggest range.

Really, if you look at the most successful alums of this show, very few of them actually won. This is probably why people are paid to scout and develop talent and it's not ALL voted on by the American public!
    Playbear, kattatude and Babycakee like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I loved Joshua & Jessica tonight. I think Phillip may be a goner. I am sure the pity vote will once again save little Ms Hollie from reality.
    luvlady345 likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

May 09, 201: The Top Four

1. Joshua Ledet. It took six long years to do it; to unseat Elliott Yaminís absolutely brilliant masterpiece, A Song For You, as Best Idol Performance ever, but it happened this night. I promised myself that I would not move A Song For You from its lofty perch until I heard something so spectacular and musically magnificent I had no choice. Joshua Ledetís Itís A Manís World, in my opinion, is unquestionably now the Best Idol Performance Ever. Words cannot describe just how much I respect and admire Elliottís A Song For You, so that in itself tells you how much I respect what Joshua Ledet did tonight. Iíve been blessed with music all my life and heard only a handful of gut-wrenching live performances that moved me to tears: Delicate (Damien Rice), Someone Like You (Adele), If I Could Turn Back The Hands of Time (R. Kelly), Whiter Shade of Pale (Procol Harum), Thugz Mansion (2Pac Shakur), I Remember You (Skid Row), November Rain (Guns N Roses), Many Rivers To Cross (Jimmy Cliff), Somewhere Over The Rainbow (Eva Cassidy), If You Love Me (Patti Labelle), How Close We Came (Shirley Brown), If I (Jesse Powell), and I Will Follow You Into The Dark (Death Cab For Cutie), but Joshua Ledet did just that. His was an absolute clinic on primetime R&B. Until now, I thought Jessica the best singer in this competition but not any more. That honor now goes to Joshua Ledet. When Colton left, I thought Phillip had this thing locked up. I still think Phillip will win but after tonight, I certainly wouldnít bet my hard earned money on it. Thank you, Joshua Ledet. Thank you Randy, Steven, and Jenny. Thank you Nigel. Thank you American Idol. I will never forget this performance. Never! How good was this performance? I donít even remember his first.
    2. Phillip Phillips. Phillip is an average singer (has no technique or range), and even though he has a preference for cerebral compositions, doesnít really have the chops to do them justice, but heís got something that will create and sustain a place for him in the music industry: huge charisma and a wonderful stage presence. And he is trying. Heís learned to keep his big mouth shut and avoid controversy; heís learned to share his personal space with others (at the start he was surly, asocial, and contrary); and heís even expanded his wardrobe beyond flannel gray. Thereís no doubt he now wants to win this thing and will do whatever it takes to make that happen. I loved Credence Clearwater Revivalís Have You Ever Seen The Rain, but This Love was easily his best work this night. I donít agree with the judges critique of Belle X1ís Volcano. First, itís not really a great song; the lyrics are basically about an older man who uses a young naive girl for sex. Second, Phillipís version didnít work as well as the original as we heard only ďhisĒ side of the story (the girl never sang "her" point of view). Third, Damien is a better singer and a better artist. So I canít agree with the judges on this one. Delicate or The Blowerís Daughter would have worked better.
    3. Jessica Sanchez. I rank her here but I think she will have a very close battle tonight to beat out Holly, who, in my opinion, conceded defeat and mailed in both her performances tonight. Steal Away was too old for her and over sung, and I didnít believe a word of it. I didnít think it was possible for anybody to over-sing And I Am Telling You, but she did just that. Sheís an uber-talented and precocious singer bit is also annoying, raw, and undisciplined. All that screaming and growling robs the song of melody and meaning. Why does she do that? Thatís not music. Yes, Joshua does it but he does it within the spirit of the song and is very selective about where, when, and how much to improvise. Jessica put the pedal to the metal from the start; growled and screamed these lyrics from start to finish. Joshua never does that. Neither of these songs was allowed to breathe and as a result I didnít get much from either.
    4. Holly Cavanaugh. I am her #1 fan; have been from the start, but her nine lives might be comng to a close. She's not out-classed here but is out-witted at every turn. I love Randy but Faithfully is definitely not for the Idol stage; it doesn't cause viewers to vote; itís too slow. Bonnie Raitt and Holly Cavanaugh are oil and water. Who picked this song for her? I cannot believe that Jimmie Iovine allowed her to carry this composition to the Idol satge. He had to know Holly and Bonnie have nothing in common. Holly canít caress and manipulate a lyric; thatís not who she is. Oh man, this thing broke my heart; easily her worst performance of the season. Bonnie Raitt is technically proficient but thatís not whatís she after; she personifies emotion. Poor Holly couldnít have picked a worse song if she tried. This simply did not work on any level. I love this kid and wish her the best always but she really didnít put up much of a fight tonight (no mas! no mas! no mas!), and will need yet another miracle tomorrow night to survive this ill-fated effort.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 05-10-2012 at 04:39 AM.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Vote out P2

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Although I think Hollie and Jessica can sing very well, neither of those girls has the emotional maturity to sing those two final songs. They hit the right notes, but there was no emotion behind it. I guess I'm not as impressed by vocal pyrotechnics. There are plenty of great singers, but not as many that can make you feel something. At the end of that very emotional song, Jessica's face was just blank. I did like the fact that she cited Jennifer Holliday and not Jennifer Hudson. I'm glad the judges also saw that the Bonnie Raitt song was just much too mature for Hollie. A teenage girl only thinks she understands that song. It takes someone with experience like, well, Bonnie Raitt, to really sell it.

I really do not want to see one of those girls win. I can see what their career - or least what their first CD - would be like. They'll sing whatever ballads and semi-poppy/rock-ish songs the management team forces on them and they'll sound like everyone else on the radio.

I didn't see Joshua sing tonight, so I can't speak to his performances. I think he's a great singer, but he's not a favorite.

I'm sure PP won't win, but I wish he would. For all the bland white boys who've won in the last few years, Phillip would be something different. He had such a strong sense of himself and his music. I think that, even if he doesn't win, he'll have a nice career after the show. For me, the great singers aren't always the ones that can hit the highest note or have the biggest range.

Really, if you look at the most successful alums of this show, very few of them actually won. This is probably why people are paid to scout and develop talent and it's not ALL voted on by the American public!
    Yet the two most successful did win.
    BuckeyeAddict likes this.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Joshua was AMAZING tonight. He was absolutely brilliant. As someone else mentioned in this thread, not since Elliot Yamin has anyone blew me away like this. Jessica did awesome as well. Phillip has slowly grown on me, somewhat..he doesn't have the best voice, but he does have what it takes to be a successful artist and I do like his stripped down style of music. Holly, on the other hand, is WAY, WAY out of her league here. She's still come across as the awkward school girl trying to hard to make a good impression on her peers at a high school assembly. While she does have a pretty voice, that's where it stops. Pretty voices do not equal quality voices. Her voice has no depth or resonance whatsoever. By all rights, she should be going home tonight. But stranger things have happened so we'll see.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I'd like to take a moment & address something I have read many times, but never did quite grasp. How many times have we seen the statements "I hate the judges, or they need to get rid of the judges, or the judges have no honest input." Well, I am going to take the stance that without these judges, we would never have seen the level of talent this season has provided. They were the ones that chose the final group. They were the ones that had to separate the also rans from the talented final 12 ( arguably, top to bottom, the strongest 12 ever) & even if they don't very often critique these kids, they have done their job admirably. IMO!, Criticism & molding comes from Jimmy Iovine & the weekly mentors & will continue in the studio, which, for me, is much better than a kick in the ass in front of 20 million people. Simon & Paula would have given us another group of Scott Savols, Norman Gentiles, Tatianas, John Stevens, Janay Chastain, Kevin Covais & other folks that had absolutely no right to be there, no shot at winning & no possible way to sustain a career even if they had won. So, in short, I applaud what these judges have done this season.
    xmaskat and luvlady345 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Joshua was AMAZING tonight. He was absolutely brilliant. As someone else mentioned in this thread, not since Elliot Yamin has anyone blew me away like this. Jessica did awesome as well. Phillip has slowly grown on me, somewhat..he doesn't have the best voice, but he does have what it takes to be a successful artist and I do like his stripped down style of music. Holly, on the other hand, is WAY, WAY out of her league here. She's still come across as the awkward school girl trying to hard to make a good impression on her peers at a high school assembly. While she does have a pretty voice, that's where it stops. Pretty voices do not equal quality voices. Her voice has no depth or resonance whatsoever. By all rights, she should be going home tonight. But stranger things have happened so we'll see.
    I just hear to much screaming, from him and Jessica.It seems they think the louder they sing the better it is. I like Joshua, I wouldn't know his voice on the radio, same goes for Jesscia. I love a good voice, they have the pipes both of them.It was just so screechy for me.

I really don't care who wins I wont be watching, unless Adam Lambert is going to be on . For those invested in the show, good luck with your favorites.
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I'd like to take a moment & address something I have read many times, but never did quite grasp. How many times have we seen the statements "I hate the judges, or they need to get rid of the judges, or the judges have no honest input." Well, I am going to take the stance that without these judges, we would never have seen the level of talent this season has provided. They were the ones that chose the final group. They were the ones that had to separate the also rans from the talented final 12 ( arguably, top to bottom, the strongest 12 ever) & even if they don't very often critique these kids, they have done their job admirably. IMO!, Criticism & molding comes from Jimmy Iovine & the weekly mentors & will continue in the studio, which, for me, is much better than a kick in the ass in front of 20 million people. Simon & Paula would have given us another group of Scott Savols, Norman Gentiles, Tatianas, John Stevens, Janay Chastain, Kevin Covais & other folks that had absolutely no right to be there, no shot at winning & no possible way to sustain a career even if they had won. So, in short, I applaud what these judges have done this season.
    I totally agree. While I don't always agree with them, I do value the judges opinions, but each of them has a frame of reference. Randy has been there, done that, and Steve Tyler has most definitely been there, dont that. Hell, even Jennifer Lopez. Admittedly, I have been very impressed with her this year. Unlike last year when she seemed afraid to be honest with the contestants for fear of hurting their feelings, I'm grateful to see that she's found the balance between being tough with her critiques while at the same time offering them valuable insight as to what they should change to make themselves better. She's really good at it. A couple of years ago when they first announced Jennifer was going to be one of the new judges, I rolled my eyes, thinking she didn't have a clue about music and what a stupid decision it was. But I have to admit, even though her voice isn't the greatest, a lot of the critiques she gives tell me that she understands music and gets what it's all about. I'm happy with the Jackson / Tyler / Lopez judging team. They work well together.

On a side note, I am very impressed with your recollection of the previous contestants you mentioned. I'd forgotten most of them even ever existed.

Really? See, I'd recognize Joshua's voice immediately if I heard him on the radio. There are certain nuances in his voice that make him stand out. And while, yes, there are plenty of "churchy" type voices out there, there aren't that many, if any at all, on Top 40 radio.

I do agree with you about Jessica, however. I'd hear her thinking it was Beyonce, and then I'd hear Beyonce, thinking it was Jessica. She just sounds too similar. But I can't deny that the girl can really sing. Her pitch is perfect. She hasn't delivered one flat note...not one. I hope as she gets older, she'll find her own identity and not make it so much about emulating the Beyonce's of the world.

+ Reply to Thread