+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: 5/3 AI 11 Results Show: Top 5 **West Coast Spoiilers**

Re: 5/3 AI 11 Results Show: Top 5 **West Coast Spoiilers**

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I don't understand your point. She isn't Carrie. She isn't country so there is no connection. Of course the Carrie we see today wasn't the Carrie on AI...not by a long shot.
    I was responding to someone who mentioned Hollie and compared her to Carrie. My point is Carrie although I don't like her she is talented. Hollie not so much..
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Wow! I am soooo disappointed. I was recording the show and just as I hit live, about 10 minutes before results, my cable DVR froze up! It took me 15 minutes to get everything going again.I got frustrated and went to bed. I was soooo shocked when I read the results this morning. I am going to miss Ms Spitfire Skylar. She didn't deserve to go just yet. I do think she will have a career in Country Music. I'll bet Reba has already called.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I do, like Carrie Underwood, and agree with you, Holly isn't even in the same league as Carrie Underwood. Frankly, I'm disappointed she's still around. The fact that talented singers like Colton, Elise, and hell, even Skylar, whom I think is very talented, and the only marginally-talented Holly is still there...wow. She's not AI winner material. If she wins, this season will have been a failure, imo.
    I recall watching the season that Carrie won, and I was voting for Bo. I really didn't think Carrie had star potential. I really like Carrie now, and I do think Hollie has the vocal talent and just needs to keep working on her performance skills. Hollie has the same sweet appeal that Carrie had at that time, just not quite as mature and confident. (Hollie is 18 and Carrie was 21.) I think Hollie has worked the hardest of all of them, and she listens and takes direction from those with experience. She has taken the assault of the judges and survived.
    BTW, when Carrie was asked what makes an American Idol, Carrie answered "Someone who is nice, talented, and deserves it." Hollie certainly meets that criteria ... which they all do at this point.

Of the now TOP 4 ...

Phillip is OK, but he's no Joshua
    Jessica is O.K. ... but she's no Hollie.
    sadsoccermom and ilja like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Skylar did have a lot of energy, but her two songs were screamers. She equates emotion with screaming and apparent anger. "You don't have to say you love me...." her body was hunched over and she was gesturing and screaming like she was in the middle of a fight. She did not look good so I was not really sorry or surprised that she left. Country music will welcome her in and if she can tone down her harshness, she could be another Pickler who went out 6th(?)
    I think her song choice(s) are what cooked her ... especially "Fortunate Son". " Fortunate Son" is an Anti-War (Vietnam) protest song. It was at a time when the fortunate (read privileged) could avoid the draft and avoid combat in Vietnam. People, especially the less fortunate were angry about that. She could have sung that with more anger and less perkiness. Jimmy even commented on her lack of full understanding of the lyrics and her take on "I can't make you love me". If they are going to ask them to sing songs of these eras, then it is up to Jimmy, other mentors and the vocal coaches to direct these uninformed younger people, explain and give them suggestions for parallels in their own lives that would help them with the story and emotion.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    There is a lot of animosity towards P2 not at least being in the B2 (and I don't disagree). I'm curious how widespread that feeling is? Could there be a revolt next week??? Seems to me I've seen it happen other seasons.
    No. That feeling is just with the more vocal posters on this board. Most of us who like that type of music have either stopped posting in the AI threads or are stopping. So the comments made here are just a small sampling of what the voters feel. That actually happens all the time, the majority of voters do not post in forums so it's hard to gauge public opinion by what is said in the forums.
    Lil Bit likes this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vote4Makar View Post
    I'm SO upset at Skylar's elimination. I haven't been this depressed by AI results since I was 14 and Clay Aiken lost.
    I am sorry you feel that way. I was pretty upset when Clay lost. But Clay went on to have great career, he always seems happy.I also felt that way when Adam Lambert lost( even though I was prepared for him to lose) but again, he went on to do very well. .I hope the same for Skylar
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ginger2 View Post
    When I think of Carrie Underwood, I think I remember that she just really started taking off when the contestants in her year were down to 5 or 6. So there is still a chance though slim, that Hollie could be in the final 2. I'm in the older geographic and older than most of you at 67, and I voted for Holly all two hours. I do think all of the ones left will get record contracts and most should do well if they are able to pick good songs or write good songs. I didn't like Jessica early on and probably wouldn't buy her album because her voice is too low for my personal taste and she is too R&B for me. But her second song was stellar. Holly's first song River deep, mountain high was my absolute favorite last night. And her second one was almost as good as Jessica's second song.
    I agree with you! I'm not a fan of Jessica AT ALL though. To me, she tries too hard to be "one of those R&B girls" instead of being herself. It's like she's spent her whole life trying to imitate those R&B girls instead of just singing. I don't get this from Hollie. Hollie just comes across to me as being very genuine, being herself.
    ibot2much and ilja like this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    I agree with you! I'm not a fan of Jessica AT ALL though. To me, she tries too hard to be "one of those R&B girls" instead of being herself. It's like she's spent her whole life trying to imitate those R&B girls instead of just singing. I don't get this from Hollie. Hollie just comes across to me as being very genuine, being herself.
    Oh, I definitely agree with what you said about Jessica. Her performances seem so rehearsed it's nauseating. I also agree with what you said about Hollie as well. I just don't find her that interesting. And her voice is too some-timey. She's pitchy a lot of the time. I think she still needs some fine-tuning in that regard. Not to mention, her personality is about as interesting as watching paint dry.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I don't understand your point. She isn't Carrie. She isn't country so there is no connection. Of course the Carrie we see today wasn't the Carrie on AI...not by a long shot.
    EXACTLY!!! Carrie was good on AI because she naturally has a very good voice and can sing quite well... naturally. When Carrie was on AI she came off as totally unpolished and I do not say that as a bad thing but rather as a statement of what I perceive to be reality. Carrie, today, is phenomenal. No one, not a single one of the contestants over any season of AI should ever be compared to the Carrie Underwood of today. If they were that good they would already have careers and not be auditioning for AI in the first place.
    JavaJo and Ralfdallas like this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Oh, I definitely agree with what you said about Jessica. Her performances seem so rehearsed it's nauseating. I also agree with what you said about Hollie as well. I just don't find her that interesting. And her voice is too some-time. She's pitchy a lot of the time. I think she still needs some fine-tuning in that regard. Not to mention, her personality is about as interesting as watching paint dry.
    I feel sorry for her in some ways .I know she knows about the show and how it works.I get that, but she is only 16, and there is no way I could of done what she is doing at that age.. I am not keen on her voice, but some songs she sings very well.I just keep in mind she is only 16. She has a lifetime of singing ahead of her, plus her personality will come with age.
    bee stung lips and ilja like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread