+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: 5/2 AI 11 Performance Show Thread: Top 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/2 AI 11 Performance Show Thread: Top 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

Last night I just tried to sit back and listen to the voices, watch the performances and get a true feel for who I ENJOYED and who I would continue to enjoy listening to. I was a little surprised.

Hollie is still my favorite as I think her voice has the best tone and range. I think she would be able to have much flexibility in her style. Pop, country, etc. I think she would stand out no matter which genre she chose.

Jessica sound very good, but I don't see where her voice would stand out anywhere. She's a good singer though.

Skylar is interesting to watch, but I still get this feeling she's a Miranda Lambert clone, except that her voice is not as good. Those songs last night, especially the first one, did not do much for her voice. In some songs, she can take her voice on a powerdrive, but last night, IMO she sounded keen. The good tone was not there. It just reminded me that her voice is just not professional enough IMO. I like her though.

Phillip. I felt sorry for the guy. I don't nor have I ever thought he had a singing voice. I just don't get it. I know he has LOADS of fans who will probably push him through, but I don't get it.

Joshua seems like a lot of fun and I am told by most everyone that he has the most amazing voice. Randy said he had the best voice of any singer in 50 years, right? Oh well, I don't enjoy hearing him sing. IMO most of the time he sounds like static in his voice. I'm not interested in hearing him. Nice guy, but not for me. I'll be interested in seeing if the public really likes his voice as much as the AI staff thinks they should.
    Rabid Dingo and annettejt like this.

I guess we all have different tastes and that is what makes the world go round. I have always loved Hollie and her voice last night was beautiful and she seemed comfortable. I just worry that it is to late because of what the judges have already done to her. I love Skylar and always have. For me she has the whole package. She is an entertainer and knows how to play the stage. I see her as being very successful and one that could go on and do great things. I have never been aboard the P2 train, but I do think he has the appeal to the young girls. Was his image damaged last night - who knows. I have never been able to appreciate Jessica. I so wish she had waited a bit. She has a wonderful voice, but never had the appeal for me. I think she sings ballads beautifully, but have never seen her perform an upbeat song that I liked. Last night was no exception. I can't help, but compare her to Pia. Joshua seems like such a nice guy, but his type of singing does not appeal to me. I hate that the judges keep giving him all the standing ovations. To say he is the best singer in 60 years or ever was so wrong. I have no idea how America will vote and this makes the predictions so hard. Of the remaining contestants the music I would buy would be Skylar and Hollie.

Regarding the show I just wish they would stop all the drama. I don't need all of it and think it distracts from what the show use to be. I do not need the judges to tell me over and over that certain singers are the best ever. I have my own tastes of who I like and I am certainly not going to change my opinion because they tell me so. Side note - yes that was a daffodil and not a tulip. I guess they don't know their flowers. As always JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Last night I just tried to sit back and listen to the voices, watch the performances and get a true feel for who I ENJOYED and who I would continue to enjoy listening to. I was a little surprised.......
    Wow, I am almost a complete 180 of you. Different strokes, different folks.

I do agree with you about Jessica. She has a great voice but there are already a ton of other "Jessica's" out there. Girls who sound just like her. She bores the living daylights out of me.

For me it all boils down to who would I buy? I've already bought three of Phil's songs. He sounds really good in recordings. I would probably give Joshua and Skylar some purchases as well. The difference is that I would buy select singles from them whereas I would buy all of Phillip's song. I would also buy Elise's music. I prefer singer/songwriters. I like songs that tell stories and have actual music to them. I don't like being screamed at all the time, I find that exhausting. I guess I'm a throwback because I still like singers that actually sing.

But I'm just one purchasing vote. I always find it interesting to see who has the careers after this is all over. Not the ones people think will make it but the ones who actually do make it. It isn't always the ones that the voters put through.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I guess we all have different tastes and that is what makes the world go round. I have always loved Hollie and her voice last night was beautiful and she seemed comfortable. I just worry that it is to late because of what the judges have already done to her.

While I love little Hollie, I wouldn't buy her music .I wouldn't buy any of their music. I don't think there is any one that stands out ( maybe Skylar) but I really don't think if I heard any of them on the radio I would know who they were. That says a lot to me.Joshua has a good voice, but I hear voices like his over and over.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I think watching/re-watching the duo and the trio shows the contrasts very clearly.

(It was almost like those dance-off duels on DWTS )

I think Josh "won" the duo and Hollie "won" the trio. In my opinion this had nothing to do with style or personal tastes.

It was about clarity, strength and pleasing sound and lack of pitchy/off-key and thin sound and no garbled or swallowed words.
    Nice'n'Easy and Debb70 like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I just wish Steven and Jennifer would remember that there are more adjectives in the English language besides "beautiful," "amazing," and "crazy." And don't even get me started on Randy's vocabulary.

I have been a Phillip fan since the beginning and I liked his version of "The Letter," but I thought he really butchered that second song.

Hollie did an excellent job on both of her songs.

I've never gotten the Skylar love. I think she shouts too much.

I guess it's only natural to compare the kids performances to the original and when the original is Tina Turner... well... NO ONE compares. I think Jessica did fine, but maybe she could dance better if she didn't always wear those 4 inch heels.

I like Joshua. I think he is an awesome singer and performer and I think he will go far, no matter what happens in this show. I am getting a bit sick of the constant standing O's he gets. I can see the judges behavior putting the voters off on him like they have on others in the past. I know they have their favorites and they are perfectly welcome to have them, but tone it down a bit.

ETA I missed Elise this week.
    Last edited by Lil Bit; 05-03-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Finally got to watch this last night. I am
    am still firmly in the Phillip camp. loved his take on The Letter & the duet with Josh, but not his other song. I think Hollie was the best of the night.
    Lil Bit likes this.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Out of the 4 left, this is how it would turn out if I ran the world (or at least if if controlled the voting...):

4. Phillip
    3. Jessica
    2. Hollie
    1. Joshua

Not that I think this will actually happen...

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady View Post
    Out of the 4 left, this is how it would turn out if I ran the world (or at least if if controlled the voting...):

4. Phillip
    3. Jessica
    2. Hollie
    1. Joshua

Not that I think this will actually happen...

I pretty much agree with that, except I would flip Hollie and Joshua.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Misty, actually I like Hollie a lot and especially admire how much she's relaxed and improved her performance skills. Her voice has not been an issue. I would not mind if she won.

I just don't want a Phil/Jessica finale...

+ Reply to Thread