Thread: 5/2 AI 11 Performance Show Thread: Top 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/2 AI 11 Performance Show Thread: Top 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

Very impressed with
    1. Joshua
    2. Skylar
    3. Jessica
    4. Hollie
    5. Phillip
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think:

1 Hollie & Joshua (tie for best of night)

2 Skylar (holding her own)

3 Phillip & Jessica (tie for worst of night)

In my opinion, either Phillip or Jessica should go home. Will that happen? Who knows?

I wonder if Ryan announcing that Phillip has a girlfriend might reduce his votes. He's nice looking but really, he doesn't sound like a potential recording artist to me.

Jessica's Proud Mary was awful and even Steven gave her a left-handed compliment when he said she really "screamed" something out. She may have saved herself with her second song ... and she does seem to have fans ... but even JLo said it reminded her of when Jessica did "I will always love you". Hmmmm. Me too.
    angelic_one2002, Kip and Debb70 like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

May 02, 2012: The Top Five

Many rivers to cross. And it's only my will that keeps me alive. I've been licked, washed up for years. And I merely survive because of my pride” (Jimmy Cliff, Many Rivers to Cross).

1. Holly Cavanaugh. This kid will need a miracle to survive another week. Not because she did something wrong; River Deep, Mountain High and especially the exquisitely torched and delicately crafted Bleeding Love were among her very best, but rather because, as the lyric says she’s got “too many rivers to cross’, and currents are raging and abiding. Holly has been, as the poet writes, “wandering between the billows of a parted sea” for weeks now, and every time the waters close in, angels intervened to keep her safe. This is what this wonderful, uber-talented, and lovable little lass is up against: a) she was first out of the gate tonight (never a good sign); b) she sang River Deep, Mountain High (a well documented Idol widow maker; e.g., Pia Toscano); and c) she’s not likely to benefit at all from any other departures; e.g., Elyse fans still blame her for last week). I picked her to win it all at the start, and miracles happen, but I no longer think she can win. The winner was decided when Colton left. She is a magical singer’s singer but with so many gifted singers, booming pipes, and huge personalities in contention, she is now an Idol Sisyphus. Words rarely fail me but I cannot express just how much I like this kid, and how much I enjoyed what she brought to the AI stage. Thank you Holly for all that you have given me, and thank you judges for making it happen. Bleeding Love was my favorite performance this night (thank you Jesse McCartney for these beautiful lyrics); a master class and technically proficient demonstration of vocal excellence. Good job Holly. Good job judges!
    2. Joshua Ledet. Joshua is one of my favorite Idol contestants of all time, and I am one of his biggest fans. I love this kid! And I agree with the judges to a point. He is one of the best ever but definitely not a better singer than Elliott Yamin. That’s simply not true. Both performances were very good, but it was what he did with The Bee Gees’ effete bed time lullaby, To Love Somebody, that got my attention. These otherwise wimpy and whiny lyrics were nicely transformed; bullied, muscled, man-handled and resurrected in Joshua’s care. I loved it. My second favorite performance of the night. But for Jimmie Iovine, we would have missed this magnificent, transcendent performance in favor of Tom Jones. I don’t know that I could have survived that, so thank you Jimmie!
    3. Phillip Phillips. Can we forget Time of the Season ever happened? I did. He says it’s sexy; I’ll let his female admirers decide, but I got nothing from it. Like River Deep, Mountain High, a girlfriend historically causes more harm than good; presumably because her presence is an indication to some female admirers that the man of their dreams is “off the market” and no longer attainable, but we’ll see tomorrow how it played out for Phillip. He is here at #3 because of The Letter, my third favorite performance of the night. This thing was absolutely brilliant; loaded with unbridled fun, foot-stomping guitar licks, entertainment value, and prime time appeal; an ode to life, joy, happiness, and the resilient power of love. I agree whole-heartedly with Randy; this thing was magnificently dissected and re-created in his image. I loved it! Good job Phillip.
    4. Jessica Sanchez. Honestly, I think Proud Mary was a mistake. It’s a fun, fun song, and I used to love watching Tina perform it, but it’s a song which relies heavily on its messenger to bring it to life. Tina Turner is bigger than life, blessed with monumental stage presence, and charisma, so is the perfect messenger for this composition. I bet more people know Tina’s version than the original. This was not the equal of the original, and, it was over-sung; much of it screamed; and screamed without tone, which diminished an otherwise guaranteed entertainment value. You Are So Beautiful, on the other hand, was yet another master class performance from this supremely talented and precocious little tyke. She found the heart of these lyrics, disappeared inside, and projected them beautifully. Good Job Jessica.
    5. Skylar Laine. Chalk it up to my own weakness; my own inability to cope; but it is impossible for me to rock out to Fortunate Son. The audience loved it and I hope America did too (keep her safe), but these lyrics reminded me of the fragility of life; of loving and losing friends and relatives, some of whom are still unaccounted for and buried in Viet Nam. So, as much I adore and love Skylar; as much as I wish the best for her, I found no joy in these lyrics; so could not join her on this journey. I loved the second performance, You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me. Like the judges, I believed her as well, and it was well sung and beautifully presented. But coping with Fortunate Son, I was still a bit unhappy, depressed, and too bummed out, I guess, to watch her again just thirty minutes later, and run the risk of rekindling those same feelings again, so to protect myself I was forced to hold back; to keep my distance. She meant no harm; I know that; I probably just needed a bit more time to clear my head to fully appreciate what was done here. I don't think war veterans and their families will understand what she did either but time will tell.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 05-03-2012 at 03:42 AM.
    Kip and Eastcoastmom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I think:

In my opinion, either Phillip or Jessica should go home. Will that happen? Who knows?

I wonder if Ryan announcing that Phillip has a girlfriend might reduce his votes. He's nice looking but really, he doesn't sound like a potential recording artist to me.

Jessica's Proud Mary was awful and even Steven gave her a left-handed compliment when he said she really "screamed" something out. She may have saved herself with her second song ... and she does seem to have fans ... but even JLo said it reminded her of when Jessica did "I will always love you". Hmmmm. Me too.
    Your rankings are the exact order I have them, as well.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    WOOHOO Another version of this song to download. My favorite version is JD Fortune on Rockstar. He killed "The Letter."
    Ah, yes...good times...good times....
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I'm trying to like Phillip...really, really trying. And I do love his Dave Matthews vibe...I also respect that he's trying to be different, But his, "I'm too serious a musician for this" attitude has gotten tiresome. To each his/her own, but him saying the original version of "The Letter" wasn't good and then he proceeds to try and make it better with his monotone, one-note, unmelodic version of it...um, hello, Phillip...don't think so, hun.
    annettejt and Debb70 like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I'm trying to like Phillip...really, really trying. And I do love his Dave Matthews vibe...I also respect that he's trying to be different, But his, "I'm too serious a musician for this" attitude has gotten tiresome. To each his/her own, but him saying the original version of "The Letter" wasn't good and then he proceeds to try and make it better with his monotone, one-note, unmelodic version of it...um, hello, Phillip...don't think so, hun.
    I only heard part of it, what I heard I thought sounded awful.
    Debb70 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    Your rankings are the exact order I have them, as well.
    Make that 3 of us!
    angelic_one2002 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I liked the show, especially the interaction between Steve and Jimmy. Both had some good points to offer the kids. I LOVED when S. told Hollie not to try to entertain or be concerned about the judges but to just sing.....and she did. She also was the star of the trio.....to see the three together made her talent and sweet personality so obvious

S. said later to J. when talking with another kid "I watch the show....." That made me laugh because it tied in with what he said about Hollie just not singing for the judges.,.. he apparently was aware of Hollie's problems with the judges.

Skylar annoyed me...I didn't like either of her songs. She sings too hard and harshly in everything. Maybe as soon as I saw both her outfits I got annoyed with them. Just keep it to a simple strapless flaired skirt dress as you have been doing. Once she adds all the entra layers of material, she looks 20 pounds heavier.

Jessica's first song was a disaster. Her dress and heels and Tina imitations were too old for her. When you seen J. from a long shot, she has such a great figure so you think she is older and very attractive. The close up shots show you her youth and plainness. The second song sounded great but the set up was too cheesy.

All in all, the 5 kids could be the most successful top five in Ai history. Each does what he/she does very well...and entirely differently
    maxkl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I think:

I agree with your ranking, but I would put Hollie slightly above Joshua. As much as I really like Joshua, he does tend to oversing, and Hollie was just awesome on both songs.
    Skylar I wasn't too crazy about, she did too much screaming and I thought totally butchered Forunate Son.
    I've always loathed Tina Turner's cover of Proud Mary, and Jessica trying to channel Tina Turner was even worse. Felt kind of bad for her actually.
    Phillip - I've liked him, but it really is time for him to go. All of the others are more talented and at this point I would really hate to see him win it.
    Debb70 likes this.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

+ Reply to Thread