+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: 4/19 AI 11 Results Show: the Almost Top 6 **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 4/19 AI 11 Results Show: the Almost Top 6 **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Oh, no problem. I must have misunderstood. Maybe I'm crazy, but I thought Colton got better each week. I was not disappointed in his performance Wednesday night as many were. And even if he were off that night, then I expect his fans to still vote for him. And if they did vote for him then why wouldn't he be safe? He got more votes than 3 others the week before. IT's such a stinking mystery.

I know everybody says that the good performers will do fine and have a great career, even if they did leave early, but I just think the closer you can get to winning the better. The number 2 spot appears pretty sweet.

I think those that came in 3rd place or lower, really had to fight hard to make it. I think that Kellie, Chris D., Bucky, and a few more really had to have lots of drive and unyielding work ethic to make it as far as they have.
    Just some curiosity. I remember when he sang "Piano Man" (Top 10 and he sang last) I thought aha ... this is what all the to-do is about! He was very good. Jessica also nailed "I will always love you."

So ... I guess I am wondering, do you think these kids have to top or at the very least match their personal best? I'm wondering if it's true that some of them "peaked" too early? Someone on DWTS ... Derek I think ... mentioned that in previous season they could "save" some of the good stuff for later but this season because of the level of dancing they couldn't.

Do you think that maybe the same sort of thing happened with both Colton and Jessica? Hollie, Skylar and Josh are all just now starting to pump it up some. Elise pulled off Zepplin and is back to middling it, and Phillip has been middling it right along.

I hope some of that makes sense and as said, I'm just curious as to what others think.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Just some curiosity. I remember when he sang "Piano Man" (Top 10 and he sang last) I thought aha ... this is what all the to-do is about! He was very good. Jessica also nailed "I will always love you."

So ... I guess I am wondering, do you think these kids have to top or at the very least match their personal best? I'm wondering if it's true that some of them "peaked" too early? Someone on DWTS ... Derek I think ... mentioned that in previous season they could "save" some of the good stuff for later but this season because of the level of dancing they couldn't.

Do you think that maybe the same sort of thing happened with both Colton and Jessica? Hollie, Skylar and Josh are all just now starting to pump it up some. Elise pulled off Zepplin and is back to middling it, and Phillip has been middling it right along.

I hope some of that makes sense and as said, I'm just curious as to what others think.
    Good question. It's such a mystery. The only thing I can think of is that the voters for AI are like Americans in any other poll. They are fickle as all get out. They like one thing today and something else tomorrow. They plan to vote, but then get distracted. They start to vote and then forget what they are doing. It's like that with politics too. Up one minute, down the other. IMO Americans don't know what they like. They will listen to just about anything and are easily influenced by others. Maybe because the judges said Colton was not up to his normal self, people didn't vote for him. It doesn't make sense to me.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is Hollie or Elise who is the Reinhardt from last season. Remember her? She was expected to leave many times, but got better and kept hanging on.

I also have my suspicions about the phone lines and I think that when a voter gets busy signals, they may give up. This could hurt a contestant. If they could reap all those potential votes, it could save them.

After all that, I still have no idea what is going on with the voting. It's pretty crazy. Just look at my prediction record.....bad.

I'm not convinced the votes have anything to do with the performance. Look at Joshua and Jessica were in the bottom the previous week. And Hollie was great this week, but still in the bottom. Go figure.
    Jaceegirl likes this.

Good question. It's such a mystery. The only thing I can think of is that the voters for AI are like Americans in any other poll. They are fickle as all get out. They like one thing today and something else tomorrow. They plan to vote, but then get distracted. They start to vote and then forget what they are doing. It's like that with politics too. Up one minute, down the other. IMO Americans don't know what they like. They will listen to just about anything and are easily influenced by others. Maybe because the judges said Colton was not up to his normal self, people didn't vote for him. It doesn't make sense to me.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is Hollie or Elise who is the Reinhardt from last season. Remember her? She was expected to leave many times, but got better and kept hanging on.

I also have my suspicions about the phone lines and I think that when a voter gets busy signals, they may give up. This could hurt a contestant. If they could reap all those potential votes, it could save them.

After all that, I still have no idea what is going on with the voting. It's pretty crazy. Just look at my prediction record.....bad.

I'm not convinced the votes have anything to do with the performance. Look at Joshua and Jessica were in the bottom the previous week. And Hollie was great this week, but still in the bottom. Go figure.
    I have to agree with you especially with the suspicions of the phone lines. I will use the following example of what happened to me. During S8 of AI I was an Adam Lambert fan and from the beginning I would vote the full two hours for him. One line and in the beginning it would be busy for a bit and then I could get many votes in. The last night of voting they gave 3 lines. They also gave 4 hours. In all that time I only got about 15 total votes in. I went to bed thinking he must have won since I could not get through. Of course, we know that did not happen. The year that Carrie Underwood won I also voted for her in the very same manner and had no problem getting through on the last night. A similar occurrence happened with DWTS where your voting goes down each week. I was voting for the same person each week. On this show the number of votes decreases each week. When it came down to 5 votes only 3 went through. The same thing happened using my landline and cell phone. It just so happens that I had two friends who both live in different states and were voting for the same person and went I told them what happened to me it turned out that it happened to them as well. So my suspicions on voting go even deeper.

Echo I also think you may have a point about peaking too early. I remember that very same comment on DWTS. Whether or not that reflects with the voters I have no idea. I think age may have a lot to do with it. I would expect that the teens voting would be looking at different things then the older fans. I would love to be able to see a demographics of the different voters. We might have a clearer picture of what is really going on. Since they don't give us anything I think we can just guess as to what is really going on.

I just want to add to my post that I can't remember if during Carrie's year if we were given 3 lines yet.

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired View Post
    Actually I think Colton fit there better. I liken P2 to John Mayer. Both are bluesy guitar artists who give songs their own unique twist. I'm not a fan of John Mayer the man. He's a total DB (although if someone called me sexual napalm I'd be flattered not offended......lol). I am a fan of his music. I really see P2 in his same type genre. What Colton did with September was totally EMO and I actually liked it. I really liked the itunes clip which I refused to buy because you had to buy all the songs.

I can't believe there are 4 girls and only 2 guys left. The guys were much stronger this year. I think that is evident that the judges and TPTB want a girl. I'm wondering if they're now sorry that P2 and Joshua got through because they are serious threats to the girl power everyone seems to want.

For me I'm all for P2 and wouldn't mind if Joshua finished second. I'm not into Joshua's genre, but I recognize his talent. He's good looking and humble too. He's totally likable so now that Colton is gone, I'm pulling for Joshua to win second. I've always wanted P2 to win.
    When you are looking at the "album" on Itunes, there is a link just above that says "see all singles", click that and then it takes you to a page where you can buy the song individually.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Colton is headed for Christian music, like I mentioned elsewhere on this thread. Here is what he said in an interview after last nights results.
    Essentially, that's what he said in his parting song.

FWIW, here are the 7th place boots: Ryan Starr, Kimberly Caldwell, Jennifer Hudson, Anwar Robinson, Ace Young, Sanjaya Malakar, Kristy Lee Cook, Lil Rounds/Anoop Desai (double week), Tim Urban, Stefano Langone.

Of those, Jennifer and Ace are probably the most successful, maybe Kristy too? At any rate, he's got work ahead of him to get there. He fits the Christian music genre pretty well, though, so if anyone has a shot, he does.

Oh this I am sad to read. From Reuters:

"By choosing 'Bad Romance' I think I turned off a lot of my core voters," (Colton) said. "It was a bad risk to take because I didn't really think it through. I think musically, performance wise..I was happy the way it turned out. But the message that was portrayed wasn't really who I was.

"I overlooked that this week and I lost sight of what I normally think of first. I think that is the main reason why I am talking to you right now," he said.

He may want to rethink that after watching the tape... it really wasn't as good compared to the other contestants...

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

I know some don't see the similarity, but some don't see any in Madonna and Lady GaGa either. LOL
    The similarity between Madonna and Lady Gaga really is that they're both very much invested in the "shock value" of entertainment. They both go way out to get attention. The clothes, the sexuality, the politics.......all are for shock. GaGa has a better voice. Madonna had better material. But both like pushing the envelope. That's where I see the similarity. I think GaGa is this generation's Madonna just like Taylor Swift is this generation's Debbie Gibson. And Bieber??????? Well he's Donny Osmond without the talent.

I'll have to check out Dave Matthews. I've never heard him at all so I don't know if he and P2 are similar. I just know I like P2. He's not as interesting as Colton but I think he's good.
    Do you want to see the Cook Islands Great Humpback Whale? Ozazy Lusth from Survivor! Ozzy, I want to see the great cook Islands Humpback Whale!

Quote Originally Posted by jsciv View Post
    Oh this I am sad to read. From Reuters:

"By choosing 'Bad Romance' I think I turned off a lot of my core voters," (Colton) said. "It was a bad risk to take because I didn't really think it through. I think musically, performance wise..I was happy the way it turned out. But the message that was portrayed wasn't really who I was.

"I overlooked that this week and I lost sight of what I normally think of first. I think that is the main reason why I am talking to you right now," he said.

He may want to rethink that after watching the tape... it really wasn't as good compared to the other contestants...
    It's funny how we take things differently. When I heard him say something similar after he was voted off, I was quite impressed.
    BerryCrazy likes this.

I have personally become very disinterested in Idol for the last few years. I usually record it and FF through most of the judges babbling. Since Simon left, the judges have nothing to say that really means anything. I have skipped a few of the past years after 2 or 3 episodes.

I have found it has become a little fishy and manipulated...I have never really cared who won, because if they have have talent, they don't need to win a contest to get a record deal and make an album. They have gotten the exposure needed. A winner does not make a successful artist. Only a handful have become bonafide stars.

After last week and this week, I'm done with this season. IMHO, I think Idol has run it's course.

FORT Fan

I think I figured out why I "like" certain contestants over others. I like the ones who *entertain* me, and who really FEEL the music. Doesn't matter the song, the genre, how they're dressed, or how 'perfect' their singing is (as in, what is a hook? a run? vocalistic styling? I have no idea). What matters is, did I stop what I was doing and watch. Do I wonder every week what they will do next? Did they make me feel the song because they feel the song?

Stars who had songs I could really feel and that come to mind are Adele on "someone like you", Janis Joplin on "piece of my heart", Percy Sledge on "when a man loves a woman", Tim McGraw on "Live like you were dying". AI stars that come to mind Adam Lambert on "mad world", David Cook on "Hello". I bet we could all make a list of stars and AI performers and songs that were so FELT. These were songs where the AI contestant "had a moment".

I guess that is why I like Colton & Phillip, and in the past, Lambert, Durbin, Bowersox, to name a few. They entertain, they seem to really feel the song. I think by now, they can all sing. I don't care so much for the big power ballad singers (Jessica, Pia, others). I loved whitney's songs not just because she could sing the power ballad, but because ofhow she felt the song (where do broken hearts go, greatest love of all). I agree with others that say younger age is an issue - because the younger kids just do not have enough life experiences to really FEEL most of these songs. I don't care how perfect Jessica is. I want to be entertained and moved.

Disney takes kids with no singing ability and, with the power of money and marketing, makes them stars (ah, technology). As for clothes, arrangements, song choice - I guess I don't pay much attention to that. I figure if they are an entertainer and can really connect with the music, voting for them gives them enough exposure to find a deal in their genre - Pop, Christian, Soul, Country, Broadway. I don't care - I just want to see people who love music make music. If they stay long enough they'll have so many more options relative to song choice, band, stylists (as in, not just Tommy Hilfiger) etc.

So, that's how I vote. I love hearing how others vote - especially the ones who have a favorite music style, or lots of technical music experience. Always interesting to me. That's why I like to read these boards.
    Last edited by murphytoo; 04-20-2012 at 10:51 PM.
    Everything is better with music. I want my life to have a soundtrack.

+ Reply to Thread