+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 3/14 AI 11 Top 12 Performance Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 3/14 AI 11 Top 12 Performance Show **West Coast Spoilers**

March 14, 2012: The Top Eleven

I wonít lie. I was flipping channels tonight for the first ninety minutes. But that stopped suddenly, thanks to the last two performances.

1. Joshua Ledet. Not the best overall, but the absolute best R&B performance ever on the Idol stage. And thatís saying something. Tamyra Gray was the first; a brilliant R&B singer, but never personified gospel soul like those who followed. Fantasiaís magnificent I Believe was Idolís first exposure to R&B gospel soul at its finest. It was she who actually pushed back the frontier and opened the door for artists like Jacob Lusk and Joshua Ledet. But credit must also be given to the incredible Nikko Smith, one of the finest R&B male singers ever to set foot on the Idol stage. His R&B had nothing to do with gospel soul; it was a celebration of the ladies. Nikko remains the only male to accurately project the raw, tantric sex rhythm of Marvin Gayeís melancholy Distant Lover. Then we were introduced to finest singer ever to set foot on the Idol stage, the incomparable Elliott Yamin. His A Song for You is not the best R&B performance ever but is still, in my opinion, the finest overall performance in the eleven year history of American Idol. Next up was Jacob Lusk, who offered up a spine-tingling, gospel soul version of God Bless the Child. All these wonderful R&B singers helped pave the way for tonight and Joshua Ledetís When A Man Loves A Woman; unquestionably the finest R&B performance ever on the Idol stage. This dude absolutely disappeared inside these lyrics, man. Iíve never seen anything like this anywhere. Where did he learn this authentic, old school, dirt floor, wrong-side-of-the-tracks R&B gospel soul? In church? It reminded me in some ways of Greg Kirkland and Kim Burrell, two other R&B gospel soul singers that utilize the gospel death rattle to perfection. Also, this was not a Percy Sledge impersonation. Parts of it, especially the soul screams, were very reminiscent of Lenny Williams painful Cause I Love You, DíAngeloís overtly sensual How Does It Feel, and Jesse Powellís elegant and ranging If I. And that Luther Vandross staccato progression with body roll near the end made had me begging for an Encore! Joshua, wherever you are tonight, thank you, thank you, thank you. This is why I watch American Idol; why I remain its self-appointed #1 fan after eleven seasons.
    2. Holly Cavanaugh. An unadorned, straight-laced, singerís singer, version of a Celine Dion classic; no runs, no vocal calisthenics, no melisma. If you are a music purist and prefer crystal clear tonal integrity and a healthy respect of melody, you probably preferred this to Joshua Ledet. I am one who appreciates both; for me, the two are not mutually exclusive; music comes in many forms, and itís difficult to compare contrasting styles, but that doesnít mean necessarily that one is better than the rest. It comes down to choice and individual preference. For me, Hollieís was a beautifully measured and elegant performance; her best work yet on the Idol stage. There is no mistaking who she is as an artist; she knows who she is and doesn't pretend otherwise. I picked her to win and that hasnít changed. She is my favorite singer and my favorite person; and thatís not going to change. She can definitely sing but her greatest strength; the reason I picked her to win, is not her pipes; itís that insanely palpable and wonderful likeability.
    3. Jessica Sanchez. I got nothing from this performance but I think she is the best singer here so canít rank her lower. She is a gifted, magnificent singer. I just think this performance was a complete waste and misuse of an otherwise enormous talent. Wrong song.
    4. Colton Dixon. I think the judges got this one wrong. Colton hasnít changed who he is; heís always been a weird mix of emo, Goth, and indie rock. I donít think that Steven appreciates any of these art forms but Colton is not hard rock or heavy metal, and has never pretended to be, so I donít why the judges were surprised to learn his true nature. I donít know Broken Heart but Iíve heard When the Children Cry a thousand times, and Colton definitely channeled Tramp tonight; sounded just like him. Not only did I believe him, I thought this was his best performance yet. Like it or not, this is his home. I, too, wish he would embrace the musical genius of authentic indie rockers like Arcade Fire, Radiohead, and The Cure (instead of Decode), but he is determined to do things his way. The problem is not indie rock; the problem is song choice. Colton needs to pick rock songs (any subgenre) that translate well to prime time television; e.g., When We Were Young (The Killers), The Pretender (Foo Fighters), or Sex on Fire (Kings of Leon). The biggest problem with Idol is those silly themes; they rob contestants of what they do best. It is not in Idolís best interest to corral contestants into a bunch of clones and cookie cutters.
    5. Skylar Laine. I didnít like this performance as much as her first two. I listen to Bonnie Raitt all the time (one of my favorite singers) and while Skylar got the notes right, this performance had none of Bonnieís patented soulful passion or melancholy blues vibe. Skylarís was (because I canít think of a better description) too millennial; e.g. technical and efficient. This song (and Bonnie Raitt) is too mature for Skylar. But I loved this kid from the start, and I continue to look forward to each performance. She is a genuinely beautiful soul.
    6. Dandre Brackensick. I disagree with the judges about this one as well. Díandre is definitely more suited to Lost Without You or When I Get You Alone (Robin Thicke); Feels Just Like It Should (Jamiroquai); and absolutely tailor-made for Tevin Campbellís Can We Talk and Jesse Powellís octave ranging If I, but this looked good on him too. And, of course, he is already a Prince clone, so that songbook should fit his eye as well. I am not a fan, not yet, but I enjoyed this performance, because it forced him to stand still and emote; something he apparently cannot do when heís dancing about the Idol stage. He still may end up at home but Can You Feel the Love Tonight would have robbed him of even more votes.
    7. Phillip Phillips. I donít know what to make of this kid. He, too, was one of my favorite contestants early on, but I am losing patience quickly. Hard to Handle sounded just like last weekís and the week before. Heís one dimensional and apparently incapable of change. For me, Iíd like to hear Jason Mrazís Geek in The Pink or Jack Johnsonís Better Together; Bruce Springsteenís Fire. I donít like his pop blues styling; itís fun to watch but indigestible.
    8. Shannon Magrane. I like her. Sheís a good kid; a good singer; and she did a good job with this simple but difficult song, but it just wasnít good television.
    9. Erica Van Pelt. Ryan Adamsí Heaven? Not for me. Erica is one of my favorite contestants but I canít handle songs like these. Again, thereís nothing to criticize. She looked great; the camera loves her; and she sang it well. But itís a boring song, on its face; and in my opinion, will never translate well to prime time television.
    10. Elyse Testone. The judges loved this performance more than I did. The verse was off-melody, she failed to maintain vocal integrity, and she never found the heart of these lyrics. I liked Elyse a ton during the early rounds but she hasnít lived up to expectation. And Iím not sure whoís to blame. Again, I wonder if her problems can also be attributed to Idol themed format. I donít think this kid has even been given the chance to show her true talent.
    11. Heejun Han. This was agony personified. Heejun is a likeable fellow, and a good guy, but again, this was not good television. I canít believe Jimmy Iovine and will.i.am didnít force him to pick something else. Heejun, if youíre out there and coming back next week, please, I beg you, pick something with some muscle.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 03-15-2012 at 03:12 AM.

"Turn the Beat Around" is the song of death. There's really not much vocal calisthenics that you can do with that song and Jessica tried to do more out of it. I just heard it lately while eating at Amici's and reminded me how I hate the song hoping that nobody sings it on Idol. Sure enough Jessica sings it....just my luck. Other AI contestants have sung this song and failed because it is a bad song. So many songs to choose from and Jessica had to choose this....the mentors sucked in letting her choose this. They could have given her a different song and told her that this song didn't work for her voice. Incidentally, they changed Deandre's song and it failed...so what do they know?

So why did they make Hollie last? I thought it was in reverse order. Joshua should have been the last performer since he sang first last week. Looks like they are pimping Hollie more than Joshua. I think Heejun, Deandre, and Shannon will be bottom 3. Elise redeemed herself this week. I think she chose the wrong song last week. She should have chosen "You Give Good Love" which is a bit jazzy and would have worked for her voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bet2Win View Post
    I am really saddened that they showed the footage of Jermaine with Nigel. They could have announced that a rule was broken, said that he was eliminated, and left it at that. Like they said, they've had other contestants tell them they have/had problems where they were able to help them; and they implied if he had told them, they would have helped him, too.
    I dunno: they've quietly let contestants go before and taken grief for it. It's a very Nigel Lithgoe move to just put it out there and say "this is why we're doing it" and then just take the grief for what really happened rather than rumors. It's not the way older seasons would have been handled, but it's consistent with Nigel so that's that...

Quote Originally Posted by jsciv View Post
    I dunno: they've quietly let contestants go before and taken grief for it. It's a very Nigel Lithgoe move to just put it out there and say "this is why we're doing it" and then just take the grief for what really happened rather than rumors. It's not the way older seasons would have been handled, but it's consistent with Nigel so that's that...
    So, is Nigel new to this ? I always thought he was with this show, when they let the others go( quietly)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady View Post
    I just love her, and I'm not even a big fan of country. The one I can't understand the appeal of (other than he's funny) is Hee Jun.
    Other than her Southern accent there really has been nothing Country about her performances this far. Bonnie Raitt is & always has been about the blues. The judges seem to want to put her in the country box, & maybe that's where she'll end up, but I haven't seen it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bet2Win View Post
    I am really saddened that they showed the footage of Jermaine with Nigel. They could have announced that a rule was broken, said that he was eliminated, and left it at that. Like they said, they've had other contestants tell them they have/had problems where they were able to help them; and they implied if he had told them, they would have helped him, too.

And the thing about his father/abandonment ... whether true or not, something stinks there as well. If he and his father had a great relationship like his father wants the world to believe, then I can't believe he would have called the producers to tell them that Jermaine was a liar. Something's off here.

Fanny, I agree. I wish he would have disclosed his outstanding warrants, but he was afraid to, afraid they would not have let him compete. Any maybe they wouldn't, but they could have told him or even helped him to clean it up and come back next year. Now, he is precluded from coming back.
    The story was all over the press which left it up to a gazillion different interpretations about why they did what they did. I think they had to show what went on & where the producers stood on the subject. I thought it was handled fairly. By the way that was also Ken Warwick with Nigel on that couch.

Up until the final 2 it was a so so night. And how bout those judges stepping up to the plate for some actual critical comments & pointers...finally! I think Shannon is getting short shrift. I have no thoughts of her winning but everyone seems to just pass her by & she is really pretty good. On the other hand I just don't get the Colton thing. IMO Steven got this one right. In years passed Colton would have been called out for being self indulgent & singing something no one knew, but this year JLo says he's pretty when he sings...YKIES! Worst of the night has to be a tie between HeJun & DeAndre.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 03-15-2012 at 11:59 AM.

I thought the girls sounded screechy last night. The show was just meh, even with the last two, and everyone raving about them. I will watch it again, and likely change my mind.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Other than her Southern accent there really has been nothing Country about her performances this far. Bonnie Raitt is & always has been about the blues. The judges seem to want to put her in the country box, & maybe that's where she'll end up, but I haven't seen it yet.
    I agree, she is not country.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    From the sounds of it, there will be a Top Ten tour this year rather than a Top 13 (12 because of Jermaine leaving). So they are eliminating one contestant tomorrow to bring it to the ten.
    I heard Ryan say that a person would be "up for elimination" which doesn't mean that they will go this week.......so I must have missed all that you posted here. When did all this information come out?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    In years passed Colton would have been called out for being self indulgent & singing something no one knew, but this year JLo says he's pretty when he sings..

AHHH, the self indulgent label......right up their with the cruise ship singer label. I am so not missing that empty criticism

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    "Turn the Beat Around" is the song of death.
    Not really, Carmen (Season 2) and Diana (Season 3) both performed it and were praised by the judges and advanced.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast