+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: 2/28 AI 11 Semi Finals: Boys **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 2/28 AI 11 Show Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Wow, Eben. That was the definition of pitchy. Yikes.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I loved Aaron he kind of gives me that David Ruffin vibe with his look and vocals love him. I also liked Colton and Deandre because he sang my favorite Earth,Wind and Fire song, "Reasons" I love that some of the guys have a R&B soul sound to them. Imo Idol lacks this so much. The R&B, Soul singers take so muck flack for hitting a glory nut and actually belting it out!

I think that is why I like the voice better. A total better understanding that some people actually enjoy R&B,Soul music. Idol doesn't seem to appreciate it much. This probably means most will be voted off early and I can find something else to watch.lol
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Phillip Phillips - my favorite so far!
    NCLurker and mockingbird255@ like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I agree w/ many that there weren't any standouts, but there were lots of strong performances tonight which I enjoyed. I must say, though, that I am not a Deandre fan. Wanted to be - he's cute and all, but that voice is not at all appealing to me. I was glad the last addition was the big guy - he did a fine job, though I'm not sure he'll make it through, he sure seems like a nice guy. He really did dwarf Ryan though - that was too funny! I'm shocked they're cutting so many this time - it's pretty harsh. Have they always done that this early?

The judges loving everyone was nauseating, and does not bode well for the season. They do a good job of actually "judging" and critiquing before the show's live, but afterwards, they're gushing. And useless.
    NFL1 likes this.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Please! Come back Simon!
    Shoepie and Fanny Mare like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Reed
    Aaron
    Phillip?
    Jermaine (because that song makes me tear up every time I hear it)
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

What is Randy smoking? He said that American Idol never had a baritone voice in the contest. Didn't AI have baritone voice just last year and he won? Duuuuh!

That being said, I thought they were bringing the black kid back but the gentle giant was my 2nd guess.

I really think that Eben was the worst of the night (he was the worst of the boys to begin with and I don't even know how he made it, probably because the had to meet a quota). Flat and pitch problems galore. I hope he doesn't make it. They had to put in a kid and they selected the wrong one (David should have made it).

I don't like the format this year. So 5 will be voted through the top 10 right away? That sucks, we don't get a chance to hear everyone sing a 2nd time. So it will be a shorter season then because we will be missing two weeks as we use to eliminate two from each gender every week until we're down to 6 boys and 6 girls. I heard Ryan say that the judges will get to pick 1 each from the eliminated contestants. So does that mean we have a top 13?

My top 5.

Joshua
    Phillip
    Colton
    DeAndre
    Jeremy

-----------------
    Don't care pretty much on who was left but we can only hope that the judges do not pick Eben in the wild card. Please no Jermaine but he seems to be picking up some votes as the underdog/comeback kid but i'd rather have him in the top 12 over Eben who should have been given another year to deepen his voice and grow. Jermaine is leading in DI but he's third in the raw numbers so pretty much I will not be surprised if he gets in the top 5 and Joshua or Jermaine doesn't make it. I think Grimm has some fans but he went first. Heejun already has a lot of fans so he may make it.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 02-29-2012 at 02:55 AM.

February 28, 2012: The Top Thirteen Boys

Each year they tell us this is the best ever. The standard is the incomparable Elliott Yamin. While several are good singers and marketable, there is no Elliott Yamin here. In addition, the girls are better this year; and by a very wide margin, so this yearís winner is probably not listed here.
    1. Colton Dixon. This guy will sail into top ten, no problem, primarily because he looks the part. Like David Cook, he relies on the rock ballad, but thatís where the comparison ends. Colton lacks Davidís vocal integrity, powerful pipes, lyrical nuance, sensitivity, and more importantly, endearing charm. David Cook was one of the best caressers of lyrics this show has ever seen; Colton is not there yet. So he is a good, but not great, singer; an emerging artist. The sensitivity that we saw last year, and in the early rounds this year, was sacrificed tonight to performance value and entertainment, but I think America is more likely to reward heartfelt emotion. So many young contestants make this mistake; they donít seem to understand that sharing an honest emotion is one of the highest forms of entertainment. This was not the best performance of the night; ordinary really, and Decode will certainly not win him the title, but he can sing, the camera loves him, and heís got a very contemporary look about him, so unless he says or does something stupid and/or politically insensitive, should go very deep in the competition.
    2. Joshua Ledet. He is indeed the male Fantasia. Sounds just like her. But here, again, thatís where the comparison ends. Fantasia was very likeable; very funny, endearing, quirky, and very lovable. Joshua is likeable, yes, but lacks Fantasiaís charm, so I donít think these two share the same destiny. Having said that, his You Pulled Me Through was a spectacular, rousing, old school, gospel R&B performance, magnetic and bone chilling. I loved it. Idol has given us some wonderful R&B singers over the years; Tamyra Gray, Nikko Smith, Fantasia Barino, and Elliott Yamin. Last year I added Jacob Lusk to the Idolís R&B Hall of Fame. If Joshua can repeat, in the next rounds, what he did tonight, I will happily add his name to that illustrious list. Easily the best performance of the night.
    3. Dandre Brackenson. Iím not sold. I loved his This Womanís Work in the early rounds, but that was a technical performance; no emotion or heart. I do love his voice, but the falsetto didnít work as well this time round. Parts of it were off-key and off-melody. But heís got potential; his voice is very unique. Heís able to generate richly textured tone without falsetto. I would love to hear an R&B love song without it. Iím not sold yet because this kid is not very comfortable in his skin (could be stage fright I suppose). And when I sense that, I always wonder why. So I hope the producers will help him get past this so that he can be comfortable on stage. He is a good singer; a very likeable kid; and also has the right look, but will never challenge for the title unless he can learn to relax, open his heart, and let us in.
    4. Creighton Fraker. He has no chance of winning (the winning formula is just not there); in fact, he will be all out to make top thirteen, but I love this kid and I loved this performance. His was second best of the night. Yes, it was all broadway (not a winning formula on Idol) but his was loaded with bold and clever phrasing, vocal inflection, melodic transition, and purpose; as avant guarde as it gets. I love the fringe dwellers. I couldnít stop smiling. This kid is a true artist. Good luck Creighton.
    5. Phillip Phillips. I love this kid too. I did not like this performance at all. The song is painfully slow as is, why would anyone deliberately slow the tempo with growls and monotone? This was a very difficult listen. But heís better than this; had some great early round performances, is quirky and funny, the camera loves him, and heís blessed with an immense likeability, so I expect America (or one of the judges) will send him through to top thirteen.
    6. Reed Grimm. He is the personification of the Friendly Face; very likeable, but I didnít like this performance at all. The dancing was all wrong; way too much bump and grind. Maybe women liked it but I found it distracting. I do like the guy. He can sing. Heís genuine; a good kid; great guy; just didnít like the performance.
    7. Jeremy Rosado. Heís a sensitive kid; a good kid; a likeable kid; and a good singer. This was a good performance, but not a winning one; and, not likely to lay the foundation for a lasting career in pop music. His song selection must improve; perhaps a romantic song for the ladies?
    8. Adam Brock. Iím not a fan. Heís a good guy; a good father; a good human being, but is already suffering over-exposure. And the constant crying doesnít help. I never question tears; just assume them to be real, but at some point, you have to man up, otherwise it becomes an annoyance. Dude, please stop crying. Adam is a good entertainer, but has no understanding of R&B. More worrisome, with all the wonderful R&B love ballads out there, why pick this song?
    9. Evan Franckewitz. Has a chance at top thirteen, but I am not a fan. He is likeable; he can sing; but is too old-fashioned. I wonder if the judges were thinking Justin Bieber clone? He appeared to open up in the late stages of the early rounds but tonight, it was the old Evan again. Heís a good kid but unfortunately, the Evan we saw tonight is not good television; the singing was not very good at all.
    10. Heejun Han. I donít know what I feel about this kid, so I ranked him here. I am not a fan but he can sing, and he is funny. Heíll receive heavy support from a sizeable Asian populace but it wonít be enough to fight off the steady barrage of glory notes, belting, and artistry that lies before him.
    11. Aaron Marcellous. Aaron is a good singer but this song isnít likely to catapult him into top thirteen. Itís one dimensional with no power notes and no memorable lyric, so I doubt heíll make top thirteen.
    12. Jermaine Jones. Dance With my Father was a good performance. Heís a good kid and he can sing but in my opinion, is not an American Idol.
    13. Chase Likens. I watched the entire early rounds and canít remember this kid. Nonetheless, this was an accurate copy of Storm Warning, but in my opinion, not worthy of top thirteen.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 02-29-2012 at 05:06 AM.

To get into the finals, I think they are going to have to make me dance or cry. I am just now watching the recording. Reed was not singing or moving like Jagger. I know everyone has to do their own thing. That Reed should have scat or have done what he does. Way to go white chocolate. I really did not want him to make it to the finals. But he had me dancing in my chair tonight......will shutup and watch the rest.
    You can do it!

I want to sing along. These guys are singing songs that I do not know....if I had voting capability, my vote would reflect that. Fortunate for these guys that there is a tide of underaged that will vote just based on looks or country category affiliation.
    dbdoll likes this.
    You can do it!

+ Reply to Thread