+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445

Thread: 5/25 Finale Show *Spoilers*

Re: 5/25 Finale Show *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    I'm tired of AI's over-reliance on the contestants' perceived personalities to drive the drama of the show.
    --
    --
    And that explains why some really good singers, don't get enough air time. Either their personalities or their looks don't look for what the show needs to cast. I still remember LOVING Lauren Turner, but she just didn't fit into the mold of what the contestants have to be. I was actually surprised they let Naima through.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    And that explains why some really good singers, don't get enough air time. Either their personalities or their looks don't look for what the show needs to cast. I still remember LOVING Lauren Turner, but she just didn't fit into the mold of what the contestants have to be. I was actually surprised they let Naima through.
    Yeah, the season could have been much more interesting, vocally, if Lauren Turner had been chosen. AI teased us with her talent, then put through much less talented alternatives.
    --
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Yep, so now Nigel will be encouraged to push the reality-show elements even further next year. --
    --
    Idol has always been a reality show. Its always been cast with types and personalities - some meant for us to fall in love with, some meant for us to vilify. Anyone who still thinks this might be a true talent competition only has to take into consideration what they show us in the audition rounds. If this were a true talent competition, the crappy and dilusional singers would never make it past the first audition, let alone all the way to the judges.

I hope you are correct, it would make AI fun for me again if they did. I do think the producers, through their mouthpieces ("the judges"), cheered on Scotty and Lauren endlessly, helping them coast to the finals.
    --
    They cheered James on even more. They cheered on Pia. They cheered on Jacob. I don't think they cheered on Scotty and Lauren any more than those, and probably most of the others as well. I'm They were generally positive all season. Heck, Randy told James he would probably win it. People just like who they like, for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-27-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by jsciv View Post
    I got the impression that Scotty really was Just That Popular in the voting the whole time, even without interference. They don't let us see the voting numbers, but every bit of circumstantial evidence this year seems to indicate that it was Scotty's to win the entire season, from "**** a duck" all the way until the end.
    Nor the contestants. I've caught a few interviews with Scotty and he was sure Lauren was going to win because he thought her final song was killer. He told the guy at Access Hollywood that the vote must have been very, very close.

He stayed away from the blogs and the internet chatter so didn't read how others thought he had this in the bag.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    They cheered James on even more. They cheered on Pia. They cheered on Jacob. I don't think they cheered on Scotty and Lauren any more than those, and probably most of the others as well. I'm They were generally positive all season. Heck, Randy told James he would probably win it. People just like who they like, for whatever reason.
    I agree100%, thanks goodness we are all different, and have different tastes, it would be a boring place to live if we loved the same thing(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Idol has always been a reality show. Its always been cast with types and personalities - some meant for us to fall in love with, some meant for us to vilify. Anyone who still thinks this might be a true talent competition only has to take into consideration what they show us in the audition rounds. If this were a true talent competition, the crappy and dilusional singers would never make it past the first audition, let alone all the way to the judges.
    I agree. It is not a talent competition.
    --
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

Well, maybe not a pure talent competition, but let's face it, nothing is. I don't think that any of the Idol champs is without talent. Even those less successful (or, rather, those less proudly exploited by AI), put in some great performances during their seasons and obviously had a large fan base. And those who were clearly not up with the rest of the crop (Sanjaya, Tim, etc.) were ousted before the end.

And really, when you look at the "singers" who are very successful in the industry these days, they're not the most talented either - JLo can barely carry a tune in a bucket, half the acts who performed this season were total crap! (I do think Gaga is the exception - very talented, which is a bonus on top of her weirdness and performances some might find offensive - at least she has a good voice and can sing her catchy tunes well, unlike so many....). We get what the industry forces on us, basically, and what they push is what they think will make the most money. It is what it is.

To the Point

Another point to be made....it is about more than just the voice in that without a stage presence and personality that is appealing, people will not support concerts and such. That is where the real money is made for the actual performers. CD's make more money for the labels. While stage presence and stage personality can be tweeked, it's really hard to make something from nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    Another point to be made....it is about more than just the voice in that without a stage presence and personality that is appealing, people will not support concerts and such. That is where the real money is made for the actual performers. CD's make more money for the labels. While stage presence and stage personality can be tweeked, it's really hard to make something from nothing.
    Yeah, stage charisma is a big factor. Scotty, Haley, Casey, Jacob and Paul have unique stage personalities that will serve them well if they stay in show business. Pia is an example of someone without one, so I don't see how she can succeed as a stage performer.
    --
    --

Highest Votes in Show's History

A record-breaking 122.4 million votes were cast following last night’s American Idol performance show – the highest number of votes in the show’s history! This incredible show of support for finalists Lauren Alaina and Scotty McCreery brings the total votes cast during Season 10 to over 730 million – the most of any season – and the grand total of votes cast since Season 1 of Idol to nearly 4.8 billion!
    Highest Votes in Show's History - Show and Alumni News - American Idol
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

+ Reply to Thread