+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 5/24 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Kiz

Re: 5/24 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

If there were a limit set such as no more than ten votes each from computer, text, phone, I would have voted. As it is, my measly couple of votes are so offset by the people who mega vote that it's not worth my time. I am pulling for Scotty though.

I was hoping for a Scotty/James finale, and that would have been a tough one for me to decide. They're both talented, but their styles are so different. I might have tipped toward James in the end though. I like Lauren, but frankly, I think she's too young and immature (and I'm not trying to slam her, her immaturity is expected, she's young). Scotty came across as a much more mature and grounded young man, despite his young age. Personally, I think AI is wrong to have lowered the age. It's a disservice to the both the performers and the audience. The show is too kiddy bopperish now for my tastes. Obviously, though, I'm not their target market.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz View Post
    I was hoping for a Scotty/James finale, and that would have been a tough one for me to decide. They're both talented, but their styles are so different..

I'm with you. I really thought it was going to be James/Scotty finale.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

And the winner of last night's competition was........David Cook! Man, did he sound good. The rest of the night was a real snooze (although Lauren finally had good performances after a season of lifeless singing). This is the first time the producers have had a previous winner perform on the night of a finale voting show. I wonder if the producers did that because they knew how boring Scotty and Lauren would be?
    --
    ---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I don't get comparing a contestant to past contestants. Lauren is Lauren, she is neither Jordan nor Carrie. She has a beautiful voice, but its unique to her and I wouldn't want a carbon copy of the other two. I enjoyed the finale far more than I have in ages, and I think they both did well. I guess if you don't like country music you would find it boring, like I would have found it boring if it had been - say - Jacob and Pia in the finale.
    I love country, it is my favorite genre of music, but last night was like watching paint dry. I don't think there was a single memorable performance and their young age and lack of talent was show last night.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    [B] This is the first time the producers have had a previous winner perform on the night of a finale voting show. I wonder if the producers did that because they knew how boring Scotty and Lauren would be?
    --
    ---
    You are right, though did Ruben sing one year? I remember Daughtry performing, but alas he didn't win.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    You are right, though did Ruben sing one year? I remember Daughtry performing, but alas he didn't win.
    Past Idols have always performed on the finale results show, not the finale performance show. This year was quite a departure for the producers.
    --
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Didn't watch. Didn't miss it. Maybe next year they can just move this to Nickelodeon or the Disney channel. Oh, wait, then they're less likely to rack up those "millions" of votes. Never mind.

Musing about this season... and this is just my opinion, and lots of folks will disagree:

1. Political correctness ensures that, if some of the best auditioners aren't in the top 13, at least we have diversity (and that spells viewers/advertisers /revenue). Not that I'm against diversity at all. I just prefer vocal talent to be a bigger consideration than it seems to be in selecting the finalists for this show. But I have this gripe every year. (And BTW, if we're going to sacrifice a certain amount of talent for diversity, how about a fat white woman on this show, a la Lakisha or Mandisa? I guess diversity only extends so far.)

2. Common theme among posters: "Lots of promise for someone so young! Give him/her a couple of years, then they'll really be awesome!" (See, I'd prefer my "awesome" to be more immediate than "a couple of years from now".)

3. Judges seem reluctant to hurt the feelings of the younger contestants. Hence, only the most mild of criticism.

4. Steven and JLo have product to sell and fans they don't want to alienate. I believe we saw the result of this in their lack of willingness to get tough on most of the contestants. I disliked Simon, but at least he didn't have a "conflict of interest" as a judge.

5. "That was beautiful. Just Beautiful." "You're in it to win it!" "You gave me goose pimples, Baby."

Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by dallas_viewer View Post
    Didn't watch. Didn't miss it. Maybe next year they can just move this to Nickelodeon or the Disney channel. Oh, wait, then they're less likely to rack up those "millions" of votes. Never mind.

Musing about this season... and this is just my opinion, and lots of folks will disagree:

1. Political correctness ensures that, if some of the best auditioners aren't in the top 13, at least we have diversity (and that spells viewers/advertisers /revenue). Not that I'm against diversity at all. I just prefer vocal talent to be a bigger consideration than it seems to be in selecting the finalists for this show. But I have this gripe every year. (And BTW, if we're going to sacrifice a certain amount of talent for diversity, how about a fat white woman on this show, a la Lakisha or Mandisa? I guess diversity only extends so far.)

2. Common theme among posters: "Lots of promise for someone so young! Give him/her a couple of years, then they'll really be awesome!" (See, I'd prefer my "awesome" to be more immediate than "a couple of years from now".)

3. Judges seem reluctant to hurt the feelings of the younger contestants. Hence, only the most mild of criticism.

4. Steven and JLo have product to sell and fans they don't want to alienate. I believe we saw the result of this in their lack of willingness to get tough on most of the contestants. I disliked Simon, but at least he didn't have a "conflict of interest" as a judge.

5. "That was beautiful. Just Beautiful." "You're in it to win it!" "You gave me goose pimples, Baby."

Whatever.
    I agree with much of your post. I don't think the judges who are trying to stay popular for selfish reason make good judges. I like Steven, but have never liked JLo and still don't.

Every year I swear I'm not going to watch it again and then I get sucked into again! I must stop! How did you break free? I start out okay, and then something touches me and I can't stay away. Two years ago I made my break but accidently tuned in and saw Adam and was blown away. I had to see that. Then there was Crystal last year. She is a Type I diabetic and so am I! I had to support her. Then this year, Scotty is from my home county!!!!!! I had to support that. They just keep sucking me in! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Every year I swear I'm not going to watch it again and then I get sucked into again! I must stop! How did you break free?
    Yes, another season for me of "not going to watch it" and boom there I am.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I hope that they go back to raising the age limit, and push it a year or two on the other end! I want to hear more mature voices, and see someone who hasn't gotten a shot for one reason or other get that chance. At 16 and 17 they are so young, lots of time to develop, and still compete.

+ Reply to Thread