+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 5/19 AI 10: Top 3 Results Show

Re: 5/19 AI 10: Top 3 Results Show

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Nigel tweeted today that Jimmy Iovine has played him the song for Haley's first single. I knew Jimmy liked her & I suspect she is going to do some really good things.
    Well it has been proven you don't have to win to really win.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Why would they want that? Is country that popular?
    Apparently country is the most popular, money-making genre today. I personally am a folkie, which could be the least-money making genre today. Hopefully it will come back. Brooke was a good representative of it a couple years back.

--
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Nigel tweeted today that Jimmy Iovine has played him the song for Haley's first single. I knew Jimmy liked her & I suspect she is going to do some really good things.
    Yeah, I'm curious about the records of three Idols: Haley, Jacob and Casey. I think Jacob and Casey have their genres worked out. If Haley could do a contemporary rock album, that could be very interesting.
    --
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    No, that doesn't necessarly follow at all. Haley could have gotten 28 million votes, Lauren 28.5 million and Scotty (the flirtatious Alfred E. Neuman) 38.5 million.
    --
    --
    Nigel tweeted that Haley got 25 million votes.

One thing that twitter has done, anyway.

Actually, there are many superstars who have been accused, countless times, of being arrogant: Just to name a few: Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, James Taylor, John Mayer, various rappers. etc. etc....You do not have pass a "niceness" test to succeed in show business. You do have to pass a "personality" test......That is you have to have a personality in order to succeed. Lauren, our Stepford teen, seems to lack any depth or feeling in her performances. That's going to hurt her more than her crying jags. Scotty is loaded with personality, that's why he's going to win.
    --
    --
    Your Stepford teen comment made me smile. It's just funny enough without being too harsh or mean. However ... I do think Lauren has a terrific voice and while I hesitate to compare her with Carrie, I was on the Bo bus that season and can now see why some people loved Carrie so much.

Lauren is a kid and I believe the kind of depth and feeling you are speaking of is beyond her ken at this tender age. I do think she is a bit overwhelmed ... and has also had the devastation in the South on her mind. She seems to be a tenderhearted person and with a lot of natural feeling so I find her very likeable.

Scotty is ok but just not my cup of tea. I see him as garnering (ha Scotty's from Garner ) votes and a following much as Clay did although Clay has an outstanding voice. Scotty's stage personality in my opinion is more "working the crowd" than natural. I only saw a maybe a little humility during his hometown visit ... maybe.
    Last edited by echo226; 05-20-2011 at 04:23 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jsciv View Post
    Nigel tweeted that Haley got 25 million votes.

One thing that twitter has done, anyway.
    25 million votes just didn't quite do it, however.

Yep. Haley is a seriously talented performer, and it sucks to be beaten out by mediocre singers who are barely out of their diapers. Crystal had to go through the same thing last year with the no-talent Lee Dewyze.
    --
    --
    And Adam with Kris, and even arguably Clay with Reuben. (I didn't watch that season, but I've heard that Clay was way more popular and that it was a huge shock when he lost.) However, we're conveniently forgetting that she spent most of the season hovering in the B3, so it's not like she was another Daughtry and this was a total surprise. I remember vividly last week when Lauren was declared safe, most of the people here (including me) assumed it was Haley who must be going. Thanks to a fluke in the judging, she beat out a guy who was never in the B3, so frankly, I'm not all that surprised that she didn't make it this week. I have to confess that I thought Scotty and Lauren would split the country vote, but I wouldn't be surprised if the opposite happened, and the country voters made sure to vote twice so their favorites would make it. I think the controversy with James may have scared the crud out of them.

As for the judges trying to get rid of her, well, they didn't do a very good job of it, did they? She made it all the way to the F3. If they were trying to push her out by criticizing her, then obviously they never watched this show before. Call it the "Simon effect": criticize a contestant and his/her fans will rally and vote for them even more. They would have done better to keep it low-key and let the fans of James and Scotty do their work for them.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

If having loads of personality is gonna give Scotty the win how on earth did Lee
    DeWyze win! I think the finals will be fun now that the pityfest & drama surrounding Haley have been elminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    And Adam with Kris, and even arguably Clay with Reuben. (I didn't watch that season, but I've heard that Clay was way more popular and that it was a huge shock when he lost.)
    The difference, in my opinion, is that Haley is vastly more talented than the flirty, eyebrow-rasing, corn pone Scotty and the robotic, out-of-breath Lauren. I liked both Kris and Adam, and each was talented in their genre, and they both belonged in the Top 2. Same with Ruben and Clay. They both belonged in the Top 2. Kris/Adam and Ruben/Clay very much surpassed the Top 3 contenders that they beat out. Not so this year with the youngster duo. Haley would have been a much worthier contender for Top 2.

However, we're conveniently forgetting that she spent most of the season hovering in the B3, so it's not like she was another Daughtry and this was a total surprise.
    I certainly haven't forgotten. For much of the competition, Haley came off like a cheesy cabaret blues act, waving her arms and growling all of the time. But she really improved in the last three weeks, blossoming into an assured performer with an incredible vocal range, wonderful emotional expression and fine musicality.
    --
    ---
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-20-2011 at 05:09 PM.

FORT Fogey

Amy Grant once took a song to James & asked him to do a duet with her, he declined saying the song sucked. She had written the thing. That'll make a person feel good eh?
    LOL! That's a little sad. Wonder how old she was. Regardless, by the time she was able to write songs, James Taylor had earned the right to be arrogant, although I'm sure a little tact would've been appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread