+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 5/19 AI 10: Top 3 Results Show

Re: 5/19 AI 10: Top 3 Results Show

I just recently warmed to Haley's voice/performances, and was very surprised she didn't make it to the finals. She really had come a long way, in my opinion, and I wouldn't have minded seeing her in the finals. But that look on her face when she didn't make it actually shocked me. I got embarrassed for her, in an uncomfortable kind of way. Then add to that, going out with Benny and Jets (?) made any of my warm feelings towards her go away.

I think Scotty's got it wrapped up. I don't mind either one of the two finalists, but also don't find either to be very interesting, so I guess I don't care who wins. I'll still watch, since I enjoy the show and the music, even if it's not exactly my "style." I can appreciate their talent, and even appreciate country music for a little while next week!

FORT Regular

[EDIT]

Anywho, isn't it ironic that the first season without Simon, someone without an 'appreciation' for country music, is showcasing two country talents in the finale?
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-20-2011 at 12:27 AM.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Huskie View Post
    [EDIT]

Anywho, isn't it ironic that the first season without Simon, someone without an 'appreciation' for country music, is showcasing two country talents in the finale?
    As far as I'm concerned the contest is over. Good night all-I'm outta here.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-20-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Regarding Haley's attitude when she was told her "dream" was over. She could have put on a happy face, but goodness people, she was "this" close to the brass ring and it all came down.

The judges have done themselves no favor by reaming her while giving sub par performances glowing reviews. If I hear "Well, that last note was spectacular" when the rest of the song was crap after a critique, I might throw something at my beloved TV. I think when you are being rail roaded to being voted off the way the panel has done the last several weeks, some attitude is warrented. It may have turned off some fans, this is true. But they weren't likely to vote for her anyway. But I would rather see an artist stand up for themselves than crumble as many people facing the same circumstances would have.

She didn't win the show, but she won many fans. And I was not a fan early in the season.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

I am a huge country fan, and I am so bored when Scotty sings. His voice in the country genre is fine, but nothing special. When I think of songs like Here in the Real World by Alan Jackson; Shameless by Garth Brooks; If I Know Me by George Strait; Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Star by Merle Haggard, etc., there's a lot of heartfelt soul in country music, both melody and lyrics. Scotty doesn't feel the music. He's a great kid, but not a great country singer.

Lauren ... although I'm not crazy about her either, I think she has more potential.

I'm also a huge jazz singer fan, and I appreciated Haley's talent when she was not doing what the judges wanted her to do ... early on, they pushed her into doing the growling; criticized her when she didn't do it, and praised her when she did. I wish she would have stayed more true to her jazzy side; but of course, jazz singers are not generally widely accepted in todays market.

As for Haley's attitude, she remains the one contestant that the judges singled out for criticism. Paul could barely sing some of his songs and the judges loved him. Same for several others. This is where I miss Simon. Scotty never once did anything daring, outside of his comfort zone, or original. He simply covered every song he sang.

Oh well.

Alfred E. Neuman FTW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bet2Win View Post
    I am a huge country fan, and I am so bored when Scotty sings. His voice in the country genre is fine, but nothing special. When I think of songs like Here in the Real World by Alan Jackson; Shameless by Garth Brooks; If I Know Me by George Strait; Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Star by Merle Haggard, etc., there's a lot of heartfelt soul in country music, both melody and lyrics. Scotty doesn't feel the music. He's a great kid, but not a great country singer.

Lauren ... although I'm not crazy about her either, I think she has more potential.

I'm also a huge jazz singer fan, and I appreciated Haley's talent when she was not doing what the judges wanted her to do ... early on, they pushed her into doing the growling; criticized her when she didn't do it, and praised her when she did. I wish she would have stayed more true to her jazzy side; but of course, jazz singers are not generally widely accepted in todays market.

As for Haley's attitude, she remains the one contestant that the judges singled out for criticism. Paul could barely sing some of his songs and the judges loved him. Same for several others. This is where I miss Simon. Scotty never once did anything daring, outside of his comfort zone, or original. He simply covered every song he sang.

Oh well.

Totally agree with your whole post, even the bit about Paul - although I've always loved Paul , just not on AI so much. (His original music is amazing.) Lauren needs to grow up a little, but she has great potential. Scotty bores me to tears, and I love country music. IMO he's a plain ole' cover singer who happens to hit some deep notes. He just doesn't add anything special to his singing. And Haley? Well, she confirmed for me tonight why she left. How did that growling ever evolve in her singing? Did she always do that? So annoying. Not a fan.

The show doesn't interest me anymore, but because I've been watching on and off the whole season I'm going to finish it next week. I've been an AI fan for years, but I think I'm over it now. These contestants and awful, awful judges have weaned me from the show. I wonder if I'll be able to make a clean break, or will The Voice and The X Factor suck me in. The Voice has already started to lay claim.......oh no!

I'm not the biggest fan of country music, but I am very glad that both Scotty and Lauren are in the final.
    Haley really started turning me off weeks ago. It was probably a combination of the growling, the entitled attitude and the pitchy singing.
    Why did she choose to sing Benny & the Jets as her swan song number? I thought it was one of her least impressive this season.

Loved the Italian singers. Terrific voices.
    When they announced Nicole S., I had a sinking feeling she was going to be on X Factor and they needed to showcase / pimp her.
    Glad that Simon is reuniting with Paula, but I don't know if I can take a show hosted by Ms. Diva Nicole. Sorry, but I find her fake and pretentious.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 05-20-2011 at 01:11 AM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
    Me too. I think Lauren needs more seasoning. She looked a bit arrogant there when she had to hug Haley and than quickly pulled away.
    On the contrary... I think Lauren (or anyone who is pronounced the "winner" at the same time the "loser" gets the bad word) got robbed of her chance to be super happy and excited at being in the finale. Scotty got to enjoy the crowds cheers and congrats, connect with the audience for a moment, etc. Lauren barely had seconds to process her win and do the right thing and hug and console Haley. IMMEDIATELY, it was all about Haley, her video montage, and then her performance. A performance which, imho, was sub par and ended on one of the more obnoxious notes. Lauren arrogant?? I think she was more than a gracious winner, given the scenario I just described

Not surprised at all by the results. I keep saying this year is Country Idol, not American Idol. Scotty won as soon as the public got to start voting. No reason to even watch anymore except to see your favs get to jam with their idols on Finale night.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

+ Reply to Thread