+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324

Thread: 5/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    But that's not what I heard. I heard her start out softly and with nuance, then start to scream and that's all she did the rest of the song. Maybe if I were a trained musician I would have heard variations, but I'm not. I don't dislike Haley, earlier in the season I thought she had a very nice, unique voice. But the last couple of weeks its been nothing but scream. Its not pleasant to listen to - for me.

If she's as good as people say she is (and I'll take your word for it. I wouldn't buy her CD or go see her concert), then she doesn't need to win Idol to have a good career.
    That is exactly the way LZ performs the song. Why can't Haley? And please don't say Haley is no Robert Plant because he had as his main influences a lot of the female blues vocalists of the time.

Haley has more gifts then just the ability to sing. I can see her acting or doing something on Broadway if her musical career fails to launch. Which from what I have been reading will not happen anytime soon.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1 View Post
    I think one thing missing is forcing the contestants to pick songs and try things outside of their genre...so maybe 1/2 and 1/2, start the first few and the final few weeks in their genre so we see them as individual artists and they get their feet wet, and the middle weeks weed people out by trying to sing different styles - that made a lot of Idol fun...and showed true trainwrecks or one trick ponies - good only in their style (all are somewhat talented, and this year I thought was better than most - at least we saw different styles/genres!)
    I agree. While Disco Week was always horrible, musically, for the contestants and the viewers, it did make them go outside of their comfort zones or at least think outside the box. And those with true talent made it work! (Think Kris Allen's "She Works Hard for the Money") The "theme weeks" were part of the fun - and the suspense - of the show. What will they choose, and who will destroy it or be destroyed? This year's format is dull - good singers singing songs that are in their zone - I can get that anywhere, any time. But, all in all, I've enjoyed the season. And at least Casey and James always kept it interesting, until their departures.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    That is exactly the way LZ performs the song. Why can't Haley? And please don't say Haley is no Robert Plant because he had as his main influences a lot of the female blues vocalists of the time.
    She can perform it any way she chooses, I just don't care for her screaming. I like her voice when she doesn't scream the songs. My opinion is not based on a comparison of the two because I've never heard the song before and I'm not all that into LZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    I guess we have very different ears. That's fair. --
    And like different styles. Plus, I believe you do have some muscial background (yes?), whereas I couldn't carry a tune if you put handles on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    That Beyonce video was just plain weird. Do you think this repetitive song will become popular?
    repetitive seems to be in these days. I love lyrics, so I can't stand to listen to one or two lines repeated over and over and over. However, I didn't watch the video so I won't comment on it. I watched 2 seconds of it, then flipped over to another channel.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-20-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Does anyone recall what Beyonce said that got her bleeped? She was looking into the camera and talking about one of the final 3 and the bleep circle came up on her mouth. I was confused since it wasn't like she was in a high stress situation or anything. Does anyone know what she said?

Why has language become such an issue this season. It really does cheapen the show IMO, though I do adore Steven Tyler.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Does anyone recall what Beyonce said that got her bleeped? She was looking into the camera and talking about one of the final 3 and the bleep circle came up on her mouth. I was confused since it wasn't like she was in a high stress situation or anything. Does anyone know what she said?

Why has language become such an issue this season. It really does cheapen the show IMO, though I do adore Steven Tyler.
    I think it was during Haley's pre-performance video. I can't say what she said, but either "colorful language" is just becoming more common, or maybe musicians tend to swear a lot. I'm reading Sammy Hagar's autobiography right now, and he uses the "F" word about as often as I use the word "and." Personally, I find it distracting and unnecessary, but I suspect it's just part of his everyday vocabulary.

FORT Fogey

Call me old fashioned, but foul language coming out the mouth of a crusty old rock star doesn't offend me the way it does coming out of the mouth of a young, current "role model" for young girls. Although I guess it isn't any more offensive than their half naked attire and sexual gyrations that apparently no one blinks an eye at these days (Beyoncee, that gal who performed last night, and even JLo). I find it troubling and am glad that I don't have daughters, or they would be watching/listening to country and not the trash that is considered mainstream these days.

ETA: Wow, I must REALLY be getting old! Pretty soon I may start telling stories about how I walked to school 5 miles in the snow....

+ Reply to Thread