+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

95% of the news articles I'm reading are calling it Haley's night.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    95% of the news articles I'm reading are calling it Haley's night.
    Thank you, libgirl2!!!

I quote whatnottosing dot com on here a lot. They compile hundreds of reviews across the internet and rate performances (between 0-100) according to the reviews. These are the ratings for last night, sorted from highest to lowest:

Haley......81 What is and What Should Never Be
    Lauren....74 I Hope You Dance
    Haley......70 Rhiannon
    Scotty....56 Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not?
    Scotty....50 She Believes in Me
    Scotty....41 Amazed
    Haley......41 You Oughta Know
    Lauren....40 If I Die Young
    Lauren....33 Wild One
    Last edited by BuckeyeAddict; 05-19-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    A Lauren/Scotty finale is better if you like country music. I don't, for the most part, so it would be very boring for me. But to each his own.
    I love country music, but a Lauren/Scotty finale would be boring to me also. I also like the best overall singer the best. For me, that's Haley. Hands down. I give Scotty and Lauren their due, both are wonderful in their own way. But as far as someone who has range, breath control, musicality, performance, versatility...only Haley.

Thanks Buckeye for the stats. I so agree Haley's Led Zeppelin performance was an Idol great! Outstanding!!!
    I am so rooting for Haley. I hope she wins it all. I was so disgusted when Randy Jackson said Haley won the first round and JLo agreed in a very lackluster sort of way, as if she "had to". I think Randy was trying to make up for some of the bad press, and JLo had to go along...but almost not willingly. She is so much for Scotty.
    I have nothing against either Scotty or Lauren, I just feel that Haley is a better performer and singer.

Quote Originally Posted by RyMac View Post
    I love country music, but a Lauren/Scotty finale would be boring to me also. I also like the best overall singer the best. For me, that's Haley. Hands down. I give Scotty and Lauren their due, both are wonderful in their own way. But as far as someone who has range, breath control, musicality, performance, versatility...only Haley.
    That's why this is all so subjective. I think Lauren actually has the best voice of any of them and Haley is just screaming most of the time. Haley has a nice voice if she would sing instead of scream.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by everly2 View Post
    Thanks Buckeye for the stats. I so agree Haley's Led Zeppelin performance was an Idol great! Outstanding!!!
    I am so rooting for Haley. I hope she wins it all. I was so disgusted when Randy Jackson said Haley won the first round and JLo agreed in a very lackluster sort of way, as if she "had to". I think Randy was trying to make up for some of the bad press, and JLo had to go along...but almost not willingly. She is so much for Scotty.
    I have nothing against either Scotty or Lauren, I just feel that Haley is a better performer and singer.
    I agree that JLo seemed to begrudgingly give the 1st round to Haley. I wouldn't say she's d@mned for doing it, but it just didn't seem like she was really that happy about it.

I actually suspect Randy and JLo were "nice" to Haley because they figured out she's gotten a lot of votes because of how critical they've been. They may have been hoping that if they took it easy on her, it would lull her fans into a false sense of security.

Based on last night's performances, I think the finale should be Scotty/Haley. I just don't see it happening for Lauren right now. She's good, but not good enough (yet) in my opinion. I agree with the posters who have discussed her lack of breath control. She seems like she runs out of breath a lot when she's singing. I went back and listened to "She's a Wild One" again because I wanted to check her lyrics and she seemed like she ran out of breath frequently while singing that song.

Lauren made a small mistake with the lyrics, which I noticed right away because I love that song and like Lauren, I ran around singing it a lot when it was popular! Even though it was a small mistake, to me it was obvious because it didn't make sense. Instead of singing "they think she's too young," Lauren sang "she thinks she's too young."

I also noticed the way Haley butchered the lyrics in "You Oughta Know." That is one tuff song and another one I used to like running around singing. It's too bad too, because if she could have pulled that song off, she would have been hand's down the winner of last night's episode!

I don't have anything at all against Lauren and Scotty. Country is actually my favorite genre but I do think a Lauren/Scotty finale has potential to be boring - even for a country fan. Haley has been my favorite for quite some time now and I think she deserves a place in the finals. She's got more range and versatility that the other two and I think she's gorgeous on stage. I love the quality of her voice - growls included.

Will I watch a Lauren/Scotty finale? Sure, but I'll spend the entire night wondering what Haley would have brought to the show.

I wouldn't mind an all-girl finale either ... but I think buying ocean-front property in Arizona is more likely to happen than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    That's why this is all so subjective. I think Lauren actually has the best voice of any of them and Haley is just screaming most of the time. Haley has a nice voice if she would sing instead of scream.
    Last night, Haley sang her first song with lots of soft tones and modulated nicely to some moderate ones, then loud ones. Her second song was performed mostly in soft tones. She has really progressed from her former cabaret blues act.
    --
    --
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-19-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    Last night, Haley sang her first song with lots of soft tones and modulated nicely to some moderate ones, then loud ones. Her second song was performed mostly in soft tones. She has really progressed from her former cabaret blues act.
    --
    --
    But that's not what I heard. I heard her start out softly and with nuance, then start to scream and that's all she did the rest of the song. Maybe if I were a trained musician I would have heard variations, but I'm not. I don't dislike Haley, earlier in the season I thought she had a very nice, unique voice. But the last couple of weeks its been nothing but scream. Its not pleasant to listen to - for me.

If she's as good as people say she is (and I'll take your word for it. I wouldn't buy her CD or go see her concert), then she doesn't need to win Idol to have a good career.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    But that's not what I heard. I heard her start out softly and with nuance, then start to scream and that's all she did the rest of the song
    I guess we have very different ears. That's fair.

If she's as good as people say she is (and I'll take your word for it. I wouldn't buy her CD or go see her concert), then she doesn't need to win Idol to have a good career.
    I couldn't care less whether she or Scotty wins or what kind of careers they might have. My favorites have left the competition.

--
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

+ Reply to Thread