+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I thought Haley was brilliant on the first two songs. Led Zepplin was very interesting, and I liked Haley's version of Rianna better than Stevie Nicks's. This week, Haley modulated those songs beautifully, with many soft and moderate tones and occasional louder ones. She used the growl only sparingly. I wonder whether having her father so close by encouraged her to perform more naturally. Haley brought a depth to Rianna that I've always felt was lacking in Stevie's version. However, the judges really screwed up Haley by assigning her Alanis. Haley certainly did not forget the lyrics---the producers rewrote them to make the song palatable for the AI. Given that it's a family show, I've never thought the song was appropriate for that stage--rewritten or not. It's a difficult song to sing, and singing an angry song is not a big vote-getting crowd pleaser.

Of the three finalists, Scotty has the most star quality. He's not the best singer, but he loads each song with so much of his personality, that it works pretty well. He probably will win.

Laura was much better technically tonight than she has been. But she still doesn't seem to connect much with the meaning of her lyrics. Two of the songs she sang also had a halting phrasing, where she lost the sense of the pacing and rhythm, something that has happened many times for her this season. She has a beautiful voice and tone, but her musicality is lacking.
    --
    ---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    I thought Haley was brilliant on the first two songs. Led Zepplin was very interesting, and I liked Haley's version of Rianna better than Stevie Nicks's. This week, Haley modulated those songs beautifully, with many soft and moderate tones and occasional louder ones. She used the growl only sparingly. I wonder whether having her father so close by encouraged her to perform more naturally. Haley brought a depth to Rianna that I've always felt was lacking in Stevie's version. However, the judges really screwed up Haley by assigning her Alanis. Haley certainly did not forget the lyrics---the producers rewrote them to make the song palatable for the AI. Given that it's a family show, I've never thought the song was appropriate for that stage--rewritten or not. It's a difficult song to sing, and singing an angry song is not a big vote-getting crowd pleaser.

Of the three finalists, Scotty has the most star quality. He's not the best singer, but he loads each song with so much of his personality, that it works pretty well. He probably will win.

Laura was much better technically tonight than she has been. But she still doesn't seem to connect much with the meaning of her lyrics. Two of the songs she sang also had a halting phrasing, where she lost the sense of the pacing and rhythm, something that has happened many times for her this season. She has a beautiful voice and tone, but her musicality is lacking.
    --
    ---
    I will agree with this post. I would say, though, that I think somewhere along the line Lauren lost her confidence, and that is some of the problem. She seems to have trouble just going for it sometimes.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

--
    ---
    I agree with you about Lauren. She has improved, but she still frustrates me. Did you hear her sing with Steven in her audition? Her range was crazy high. She sounded so relaxed and strong. She has not utlized her voice that way since she arrived in Hollywood. She can do it, but she won't do it. That voice could have won it all for her. It frustrates me. I realize she's young, but she should have had enough practice by now to reclaim her true range.

This problem reminds me of Jessica and Ashley Simpsom. They are both talented singers, but they have never been able to conquer nerves for public performances. I hope Lauren's issues are age related and she will overcome them. I just don't know if it's a good thing if she wins this thing while still not be able to overcome the problem.

I'm sorry....I need to rant for just a second.
    Apparently, Haley's lyrics were changed because they are too immature for the young audience....is that right?

Welllll then.....they should be a tad more consistant if they are gonna be mindful of young viewers.

Briefly -
    #1 Steven Tyler's bad language....on many occassions
    #2 Guest performers' stage acts...last season and this season
    #3 Anything Lady Gagme says/wears
    #4 Ryan has even had some slip-ups on air

Shaking my head....if "You Oughtta Know" can't be sung....then choose something more appropriate you stupid judges.

Gotta run off to work....thanks for letting me rant.

For someone who was billed as a blend of Kelly Clarkson & Carrie Underwood I see a lot of Diana DeGarmo in Lauren. I think a couple more years of life experience & performance experience would've done wonders for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I agree with you about Lauren. She has improved, but she still frustrates me. Did you hear her sing with Steven in her audition? Her range was crazy high. She sounded so relaxed and strong. She has not utlized her voice that way since she arrived in Hollywood. She can do it, but she won't do it. That voice could have won it all for her. It frustrates me. I realize she's young, but she should have had enough practice by now to reclaim her true range.
    My issue is not Lauren's vocal range---it's pacing the song in such a way that you bring out the beauty of the melody and the heart of the lyrics. It's knowing how long to hold onto a note before letting it go. It's also breath control. It's part of what makes up the "phrasing" of a lyric. Perhaps, though, if Lauren is so preoccupied and nervous about holding back on the higher notes, that could be distracting her from focusing on the pacing of the song--which is much more important. Scotty, who has little vocal range, and Haley, who has a big range, both have a much better grip on this part of performing.
    --
    --
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-19-2011 at 12:03 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by french dip View Post
    I'm sorry....I need to rant for just a second.
    Apparently, Haley's lyrics were changed because they are too immature for the young audience....is that right?

Welllll then.....they should be a tad more consistant if they are gonna be mindful of young viewers.

Briefly -
    #1 Steven Tyler's bad language....on many occassions
    #2 Guest performers' stage acts...last season and this season
    #3 Anything Lady Gagme says/wears
    #4 Ryan has even had some slip-ups on air

Shaking my head....if "You Oughtta Know" can't be sung....then choose something more appropriate you stupid judges.

Gotta run off to work....thanks for letting me rant.

I agree. I don't think Tyler's language, Gaga's schtick or Ryan's comments are appropriate either. It all makes me cringe.
    --
    ---

I saw an interesting interview of Steven by Matt Lauer last night. Steven admits that he suffers from LSD (Lead Singer Disorder). LOL It's when you are in this mindset that you are all that, important, smartest, best all around. A lot of lead singers have it. I think Steven feels that way when he acts as judge and his language is nothing to him. He sees no problem with it, because he is all that.
    I still like Steven and the language wouldn't bother me, except for the fact this is supposed to be a family show. It isn't anymore.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I saw an interesting interview of Steven by Matt Lauer last night. Steven admits that he suffers from LSD (Lead Singer Disorder). LOL It's when you are in this mindset that you are all that, important, smartest, best all around. A lot of lead singers have it. I think Steven feels that way when he acts as judge and his language is nothing to him. He sees no problem with it, because he is all that.
    I still like Steven and the language wouldn't bother me, except for the fact this is supposed to be a family show. It isn't anymore.
    So Debb70, I gather the voices in his head don't bother you until they start being articulated by his mouth? I can certainly understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    So Debb70, I gather the voices in his head don't bother you until they start being articulated by his mouth? I can certainly understand that.
    I don't know what you mean. I think that's the name of his book. Something about do the voices in my head bother you or something like that. I actually like Steven and his language and his inner voices wouldn't bother me if they were voiced on an adult show. It's just not right for this show, IMO. LOL

I haven't read his book, but was surprised to know that he cam from a very intellectual family. He describes himself as a wordsmith. He's got that right. LOL

+ Reply to Thread