+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fanatic

Re: 5/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I want the "old" American Idol back. Nothing this year has given me any reason to think I will watch next year. I agree that there have been good
    contestants but I don't think we need all the judges' new videos being shown, the lovefest between certain judges and certain contestants, or
    a generally lackluster season. I was disappointed. I know others probably disagree with me and that''s okay. I just think this year's show has been
    a big letdown.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    By the same token, I cannot see Haley pulling off a country song at all.

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    I had forgotten about "Blue", because she still did it in her own growling style.
    Blue is purely a country song, and Haley yodeled it in country fashion.

That was the first time that I really sat up and began to take note of the kind of thing that Haley can do with her voice.
    Before that, Haley just had a good voice to me, but she didn't particularly stand out.

Since then, Haley has shown that with the right song choice she can do some amazing things with her voice in different genres.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mslady View Post
    I want the "old" American Idol back. Nothing this year has given me any reason to think I will watch next year. I agree that there have been good
    contestants but I don't think we need all the judges' new videos being shown, the lovefest between certain judges and certain contestants, or
    a generally lackluster season. I was disappointed. I know others probably disagree with me and that''s okay. I just think this year's show has been
    a big letdown.
    My post #180 says just this. I am in total agreement with you and I do think we are a minority. Hopefully we will get new judges next season.

Nigel Lithgow pays close attention to details. I have hope that he will get this show back on track. Jimmy Iovine would make an excellent judge. He knows music, has an edge and will give constructive critiques. Randy is a fixture so there is one more slot to fill with a female. I cannot think of anyone off hand but it should be someone who is not interested in promoting themselves.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    What words did Haley forget? As has been established, the words for You Oughta Know were intentionally changed to make it appropriate for family viewing - or at least a little more appropriate.
    I know the song quite well, huge Alanis fan as she is from my hometown and yes, I'm well aware that she changed the lyrics from "Would she go down on you in a theater?" to "Would she go out with you to a theater?" However, she messed up big time right after that. I was singing along in my head and noticed she messed up this part: "'Cause the love that you gave that we made - Wasn't able to make it enough for you" Listen to it again, she stumbled through it. Again it's a big song, harder to sing than the others, but she still messed it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    Blue is purely a country song, and Haley yodeled it in country fashion.

That was the first time that I really sat up and began to take note of the kind of thing that Haley can do with her voice.
    Before that, Haley just had a good voice to me, but she didn't particularly stand out.

Since then, Haley has shown that with the right song choice she can do some amazing things with her voice in different genres.
    I didn't say Haley didn't yodel while singing the song 'Blue'..yodeling is definitely part of this song, but she did also growl at certain times of the song, too.
    Last edited by angelic_one2002; 05-19-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Is anyone else finding this season boring? I just cannot get into it at all. The judges are not doing a good job and that may be it. Love or hate Simon, he added interest and relevant criticism. His relationship with Paula added a dimention to the show that made it more than a bunch of singers. My opinion is not a popular one but there must be someone out there who agrees.
    Count me in on that too. I miss Simon and Paula as well. It is so predictable how the judges will respond to the performances (particularly Steven, altho he is a hoot). My favorites were Casey and James and I just am not thrilled with the remaining three. I guess I enjoy Haley much more than the other two, if I had to pick one. I don't like that little shimmy that Lauren does in up tempo songs either, it is annoying. I don't care for Scotty's facial expressions either. Yes they can all sing, but compared to past finalists I am bored. If Simon was here, I might be able to enjoy it more.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    My post #180 says just this. I am in total agreement with you and I do think we are a minority. Hopefully we will get new judges next season.

Nigel Lithgow pays close attention to details. I have hope that he will get this show back on track. Jimmy Iovine would make an excellent judge. He knows music, has an edge and will give constructive critiques. Randy is a fixture so there is one more slot to fill with a female. I cannot think of anyone off hand but it should be someone who is not interested in promoting themselves.
    I agree. I don't like the judge's promoting their music. It's just not appropriate IMO.

To the Point

Still don't miss Simon. Never missed Paula. Still basically like the personalities of the current judges, but yes, I do think they need to give more & better criticism. Still think that this season had the fewest train wrecks of any season. Still think that these three are incredibly talented, each in a very different way. Yes, Lauren and Scott are both country, but they are nothing alike, and I'm not talking the obvious difference in gender. Even with all of that I do think something has been missing, I just don't think it's all about the judges. I almost think there is something about having some real hit or miss performers, and some real powerhouses that can be very entertaining. Also, the past several seasons have seen some performers really take risk with songs that we just haven't seen with these guys....David Cook, Adam Lambert, Kris Allen. Those are just the three that come to mind. I haven't watched but two seasons from beginning to end and past seasons even I saw songs done in ways that, while another person/group may have actually been responsible for the arrangement, wasn't the norm/expected. That has been missing! Also, the self-promotion this year has been over the top when it comes to the judges and weekly mentors. Yes, I realize that may be the only way they get most of them, but really, I think it's taken something away from the show.

Scotty isn't everyone's cup of tea and has more of a limited range. However, I get the feeling that he's probably more talented than it would appear just based on the fact that he makes what he does look so easy. I have also tried to really pay attention to the way the guest mentors react to these kids and they all seem to see something in Scotty. I like him. He's a hometown boy (more or less), and he seems to be a great kid from a great family. I don't think he has the best voice, but I do think he has that intangible quality when he hits the stage that is hard to cultivate for so many. I think that he will be okay no matter what.

Lauren did well last night. I think she has a beautiful tone to her voice and with the right songs and good instruction/guidance she could really do well. This show seems to have taken the biggest toll on her of all the contestants. I think that age plays a roll in that, however, Scotty isn't that much older and seems so balanced, that I feel certain that some of that is just personality. Hopefully maturity will be a beautiful thing for this talented young girl.

Haley has the chops and can do incredible things with her voice, but I am very hit or miss about Haley from song to song. I think she has great potential, I just don't always enjoy her performances. I can't even put a finger on what it is about her when I think she misses. I do think she will be one of the final two.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCJUDE View Post
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned anything about Haley FORGETTING THE LYRICS (more than once) during the Morissette song. I don't know the song word for word, but my 23 yr old daughter does...she stopped it and replayed the parts, telling me what the lyrics SHOULD have been. If this was the the first few rounds of elimination on the way to the top 24...she would have been summarily bounced. As for her singing ....she murdered the song .....cringeworthy (the adjective I'd choose for Rhiannon as well).

PS--not a Haley Hater here---I generally like her performances but I thought she was pretty bad tonight.
    Some of the words had to be changed because they are inappropriate for the ages of some of the viewers. However....while I thought Haley was terrific with the first two songs, she was just awful on the Alanis song. Horrible. The chorus was good but the rest of it...no.

Honestly, I don't give a flying pig who wins now that James is out. Lauren is too chicken to let it all hang out vocally, Scotty is good but he's going to need a lot of work to get him where he needs to be and Haley....she's really hit or miss. When she's on, she's fabulous but when she's not...eh.

I'm honestly disappointed this season. The audition rounds had me believing that this was going to possibly be one of the best seasons ever with all that talent. Take Naima for instance....she nailed her audition but once on stage, she lost any control she had. Jacob fell apart, and my pre-top 12 favorite, Ashlyn? (the pretty black girl..is that her name) didn't deliver. It's just weird how it ended up turning out. All that talent and that this point in the competition we should all be just stunned by the great performances. I wasn't an Adam fan but I thought the last few shows with him and Chris were just terrific. They both brought their A game. I didn't see that last night except for maybe a little bit with Haley but she didn't keep up the momentum for that last song.

So who wins? I'll watch because I'm not a quitter but I really don't care. I won't be buying any of their albums.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by pattycake92 View Post
    Amen! She does well when the song calls for screeching in a gravelly tone. Lauren is so young that it does hold her back but her talent is unmatched. (maybe Pia could do it) but these other two, no way! I think Scotty is going to be a superstar on the level of Carrie or Daughtry.
    Haley does well with jazzy type songs, but when she tries to do rock and gets that screaming going, I just can't listen to her. I can't even understand what she's saying when she screeches like that. Lauren is the best singer and have a beautiful voice. With a little seasoning, I think she could be on the same level with Carrie. I love Scotty's deep voice, but he needs to stop listening to the mentors and judges and trying to stretch his range. He just needs to stick with what he does really well to become a star. I'm still hoping for a Scotty / Lauren finale. Then I can enjoy the show and not care which one wins.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

+ Reply to Thread