+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Apparently you heard something I didn't, because she sounded horrible. On all three songs.
    I noticed on all three songs, Haley had difficulty hitting the lower register. This is where she falters. Only when she screams, you hear her voice really strong. I would have liked to have heard her sing"I Hope You Dance", like Lauren did. I have yet to hear her sing anything where it really requires her to NOT scream or yell.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I would like to see Lauren or Scotty attempt the song they gave Haley.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Different singers, different styles. People were all over James for being a "fake" rocker. I think Haley as a rocker is about as fake as they get. Whoever said she doesn't know who is musically was right on.
    I have been saying that with Haley it is all about song choice. Give Haley the right song, and it is WOW! Otherwise, she just has a good voice. However, Haley has an extremely well-developed sense of musicality, nevertheless.

Now, I am believing that given the right song, Haley could sing anything well in nearly any genre - but it would have to be the right song!

I was floored - I would have never connected Led Zeplin and Haley....Led Zeplin???
    She ripped that song - but again it was the right song choice.

The other two have great voices as well, but I don't think they could pull off singing in all kinds of other genres as well or do the kinds of things musically that Haley can do with her voice.

Scott and Lauren sound good regardless of what they sing, but they need to basically stay somewhere close to their genres - no rock or jazz for either of them regardless of the song choice in those genres.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

OMG - Haley singing Led Zeppelin, and she NAILED it! It went way beyond my expectations! I've watched it twice, and would have watched it more if I had the time.

I think the judges ran over her with the bus with You Oughta Know. I think she did well, but the song is too angry to be a crowd pleaser. Haley's song choice was by far the best song choice and performance (IMO) of the night.

If we have an all-country finale next week, I am not tuning in - at least on Tuesday. Not sour grapes because my girl wouldn't be in it, but Scotty and Lauren are just not exciting enough for me. And I'm not a country fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    I have been saying that with Haley it is all about song choice. Give Haley the right song, and it is WOW! Otherwise, she just has a good voice. However, Haley has an extremely well-developed sense of musicality, nevertheless.

Now, I am believing that given the right song, Haley could sing anything well in nearly any genre - but it would have to be the right song!

I was floored - I would have never connected Led Zeplin and Haley....Led Zeplin???
    She ripped that song - but again it was the right song choice.

The other two have great voices as well, but I don't think they could pull off singing in all kinds of other genres as well or do the kinds of things musically that Haley can do with her voice.

Scott and Lauren sound good regardless of what they sing, but they need to basically stay somewhere close to their genres - no rock or jazz for either of them regardless of the song choice in those genres.
    By the same token, I cannot see Haley pulling off a country song at all.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by roots View Post
    This is the 1st season of Idol that I have not watched, yet my Mom keeps saying it's an awesome season as all of the contestants they put throug can actually sing. So promised myself I'd watch the final 3 last night. I had not seen or heard them sing at all until last night. I have to admit, for me, Lauren stood out by a mile. She looks awesome, beautiful voice, great personnality, really like her. I'm actually surprised how the other two made it that far. I enjoy country music and thought Scotty sounded an awful like Randy Travis, but he couldn't pull off that Keeny Rogers song at all, I just didn't think his voice was that strong. And Haley, forgetting the words for 2 out of 3 songs, no excuse for that. I did think her songs were more challenging, but the songs got bigger than her and she couldn't do justice to Stevie Nicks or Alanis. Still, I would have her in the final with Lauren.
    What words did Haley forget? As has been established, the words for You Oughta Know were intentionally changed to make it appropriate for family viewing - or at least a little more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    By the same token, I cannot see Haley pulling off a country song at all.

Isn't Blue a country song? I thought she did great on that!

I had forgotten about "Blue", because she still did it in her own growling style.

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    I had forgotten about "Blue", because she still did it in her own growling style.
    Wish I was able to listen to it right now (can't - at work), but I don't remember her growling. I thought she yodeled instead.

She did both. I just youtubed it. She had instances in the song where she did growl.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Very entertaining night! I still can't get the scott love that's out there. He can sing, just to me he can't SING. I loved Alana and Haley. I thought they threw Haley under the bus again.

In an afterthought, I guess I don't like Scott because he "constatine's" the camera so much. He's just not for me.

Any of the 3 could do the winning-they all sing well enough.
    Last edited by famita; 05-19-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: can't sing, can't spell

+ Reply to Thread