+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by NYCJUDE View Post
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned anything about Haley FORGETTING THE LYRICS (more than once) during the Morissette song. I don't know the song word for word, but my 23 yr old daughter does...she stopped it and replayed the parts, telling me what the lyrics SHOULD have been.
    Now I know they had to change some of the lyrics because they definitely weren't PG-13...is that what you are talking about? I don't remember her missing any lyrics.

Still, I agree. That wasn't a great performance by Haley on the last one. But I still like her best of the three remaining.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

May 18, 2011: The Top Three

1. Haley Reinhart. The only thing in the universe with the power to move Scott McCreery out of first place is Led Zeppelin. Sorry Scott, I had to do it. Led Zeppelin is the best rock band of all time, in my opinion, and I love them. Courage alone was enough to earn Haley this spot; she is fearless, but Led Zeppelin sealed the deal. What Haley did tonight, What Is and What Should Be is the stuff I and other Durbin fans was waiting for, but James didn’t want anything to do with it. The Rain Song would have been a very timely selection (flooding everywhere) but I liked this one too. I just wish Ray Chew and The Crew supported her better. Ray’s resume is as impressive as it gets (Aretha Franklin, Alicia Keys, Patti Labelle, Beyonce, Shakira, Sting, even Justin Bieber), so he can do the job but has no experience with hard rock; unfortunately it showed tonight. Why can’t Idol, one of the most profitable shows in television history, bring in guest guitarists like Zakk Wylde when confronted with a patented Jimmy Page guitar riff? Can you imagine the chaos had Haley picked Stairway to Heaven? Who in this band could pull off the hardest guitar solo in rock history? Ray Chew and The Crew's best work is R&B, soul, gospel, even pop and light rock, but as is, can’t handle hard rock, and didn't support Haley as well as they should have. If not for Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page would be the best guitarist of all time (we can argue about Steve Vai later).
    It’s weird that the best performance of the evening was the song she picked. Jimmy Iovine matched Scott and Lauren perfectly but did Haley no favor with Fleetwood Mac’s Rhiannon. Why saddle her with a somber and slow three note pop song about a witch? Haley is more vibrant, feisty, and ready to rumble than any contestant I’ve seen in the ten year history of this show, and there’s nothing in the boring Rhiannon for someone like her; no high notes, no soul, no R&B vibe, no blues chords, no place for her to ad lib, growl, and be Haley (well....that dress and wind machine almost made up for it). The judges’ pick, You Oughta Know, was better; e.g., the lyrics are stout and angry, but far from a perfect marriage. These lyrics describe a tight storyline that doesn’t lend itself to contemporary pop soul, R&B, or jazz arrangements, so even here, the song worked against all the things she does best: belt, growl, and improvise. The judges and I view Haley differently. I think they see a pop singer, a pop rocker; why else stick her with two soft pop rock songs? But the real Haley, the Haley I see, is different. She looks the part but is definitely not sweet and genteel; she’s hard as nails; as hard core as any Idol contestant I've seen. Allison Iraheta was like that; very hard core. Songs like Rhiannon and You Oughta Know are too high brow for girls like that. I was bitterly disappointed with Jimmy and the judges here. Poor Haley! She was pretty much left to her own devices tonight, hung out to dry; received very little help from those who are supposed to be looking out and protecting her from harm. She is without question, the best singer in this trio of terrific young tykes, and I hope America rewards her in a place in the finals. She is a magnificent singer.
    2. Scott McCreery. This was another tough, tough call for me; primarily because Scott, again tonight, was out-sung; this time, obviously and noticeably out-sung. Thompson Square’s Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not fit him like a glove. Good job Jimmy Iovine! The judges’ pick, while very challenging, will prove to be, I think, little more than a road block. Scott doesn’t have the chops or the musical sensitivity for a lyrical ballad like She Believes in Me. Personally, I thought he was testing the limit of his upper register with Lonestar’s Amazed (Josh Gracin’s was infinitely better) and was lucky to make it through that one unscathed. But a repeat performance; this time with even more high notes, was too much to ask; too big a leap. He couldn’t do it and for the first time this season, failed a performance. Kenny Rogers may not be a singer’s singer but is blessed with beautiful, rasping tenor. Scott can’t be Kenny Rogers; there’s nothing in She Believes in Me that plays to his strengths. I do acknowledge and recognize Scott’s limitations, but overlook them, because he is the most marketable contestant since Carrie Underwood. Perhaps in a different world, for someone not named Scott McCreery, I would react differently. This little dude is already an American Idol, even without a title; it’s his destiny; he was born to it, and I can’t simply ignore that. As Randy said, “this kid is money”. He's as close to a sure thing as it gets in this business.
    3. Lauren Alaina. There was nothing wrong with what Lauren did tonight. In fact, I think she won the night, as she nailed all three performances. There’s nothing to criticize; nothing to question. Faith Hill’s Wild One was on point; a terrific, enjoyable, and highly entertaining performance. Jimmy pick, The Band Perry’s If I Die Young, yet another fantastic selection from the Iovine music catalog, was pitch perfect and masterful; beautifully delivered. And Lee Ann Womack’s I Hope You Dance was downright magical, one of the best performances of the season. But as I argued all season, I think Haley is a better singer than Lauren, and in my mind its not even close, so I refuse to rank her below Lauren. At this point in the season, I do not think Scott is a better singer than Lauren; certainly not lately; Lauren out-sang him last week and again tonight. But as I’ve said many times this season: Scott McCreery is a superstar with unlimited commercial potential, more commercial appeal than Lauren owns right now, so I can’t place him below Lauren either. So, while recent events would ordinarily earn her a higher rank, I can’t place her above the best singer left in the competition, nor above the most commercial contestant left in the competition, so by default, its third place. Perhaps America will see things differently though. This season is loaded with surprises. My best to all three of them. Left to me, these are exactly the three I would have chosen as well. Each of them is special in their own way and I love and respect all of them.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 05-19-2011 at 05:56 AM.

Live at American Idol: Will Lauren's Minor Mishap Kill Her Idol Dream?

With only one week to go, it's hard to say who of Idol's final three will be going home Thursday. They all ooze talent and charisma, but from our seat behind the judges table Wednesday night, it was clear Lauren Alaina was the least confident of the crew.

So how was Lauren handling the pressure when the cameras turned off? Plus, what celeb told us her prediction of who will be walking away with the title of American Idol next week?

MORE: Glee-Dux: Four Solos and a Funeral—Plus We Prepare for Nationals!

There's bound to be some slips and trips on a live television singing competition, and tonight was full of them. While Haley Reinhart handled her stumble on the stairs like a pro and laughed if off, Lauren's lost spot during Jimmy Iovine's pick in round two left her rattled. After chatting with Ryan Seacrest post-second performance, Lauren walked offstage with her arms wrapped around her head as if to say, "OMG, I blew it."

Followed up with her backstage leg shimmer rubdown that was carried over to the stage, Lauren was letting her awkward, shy side show with an embarrassed smile. It was cute, but her lack of confidence is her biggest downfall in the competition, and it could stop her one week short from the finals. As always, Scotty McCreery was cool, calm and collected, sipping on water and casually waving to fans during commercial breaks. If you're a Scotty fan or not, the kid has what it takes to be a big star.
    American Idol, Haley Reinhart, Scotty McCreery, Lauren Alaina Michael Becker / FOX

That wasn't the only thing we noticed. It seems Lauren's fan base was slightly faltering. While Haley and Scotty were getting immediate standing ovations, enthusiastic "in it to win it!" from Randy Jackson and incessant screaming from fans during commercial breaks, Lauren's performances and appearances seemed to get slightly less love from the audience.

We were lucky enough to be seated next to the always lovely and never aging Lisa Loeb (seriously, the girl looks ah-mazing), who told us she's rooting for Haley because she likes her different and original voice. However, she thinks Scotty is most likely to win. After snacking on something that she said "tasted like Maalox," she stopped by the judges table to say hello. Randy and Steven Tyler were stoked to see Lisa and greeted her with smiles and excited hellos.

The Idol audience was treated to a sort of surprise after the show. The show's top 11 stormed the stage to celebrate Fox exec Mike Darnell's birthday, but it was confusing as to why the majority of the former Idol contestants were in sweats, elastic waistband shorts and slip-on shoes. Even Pia Toscano dropped her glam look and was almost unrecognizable in glasses, flats and a green hoodie with her hair pulled back in a ponytail.

After the cake, photos, hugs and love, we waited 40 minutes for Nicole Scherzinger's pretaped performance with 50 Cent. After three takes, tons of pyrotechnics and lots of booty shaking, it was over. But shhh! Don't tell your friends it's not live when it airs Thursday night!

Who do you think will be leaving the Idol spotlight tomorrow night? Do you think Scotty is going to win it all? Let us know in the comments!
    Live at American Idol: Will Lauren's Minor Mishap Kill Her Idol Dream? - E! Online
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Now I know they had to change some of the lyrics because they definitely weren't PG-13...is that what you are talking about? I don't remember her missing any lyrics.

Still, I agree. That wasn't a great performance by Haley on the last one. But I still like her best of the three remaining.
    I never heard the song before, so I have no idea if she missed lyrics, but her sceaming is just not very pleasant to listen to.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by grapenuts View Post
    Seeing the recap at the end, Haley blew the other 2 away!
    Apparently you heard something I didn't, because she sounded horrible. On all three songs.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady View Post
    I so agree with you. All 3 did very well, or they wouldn't have gotten so far. But this is the order for me, for the night as a whole:

1. Haley
    2. Scotty
    3. Lauren

Surprise of the night -- how good Jimmy Iovine's song choices were.

Highlight of the night -- Haley singing Led Zeppelin. A real Idol Wow! moment.
    Funny how people hear things differently. My order would be

1. Lauren (all three songs were great)
    2. Scotty ( he needs to stay away from that upper register)
    3. Haley (Can't stand her screaming)

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post

Exactly, they're not going to let her say "would she go down on you in a theater" on AI, so she said something else that was tame. I don't think she said the verse that has the words "are you thinking of me when you f*ck her".

That's not an AI friendly song.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I would like to see Lauren or Scotty attempt the song they gave Haley.
    Different singers, different styles. People were all over James for being a "fake" rocker. I think Haley as a rocker is about as fake as they get. Whoever said she doesn't know who is musically was right on.

FORT Fogey

Is anyone else finding this season boring? I just cannot get into it at all. The judges are not doing a good job and that may be it. Love or hate Simon, he added interest and relevant criticism. His relationship with Paula added a dimention to the show that made it more than a bunch of singers. My opinion is not a popular one but there must be someone out there who agrees.

FORT Newbie

This is the 1st season of Idol that I have not watched, yet my Mom keeps saying it's an awesome season as all of the contestants they put throug can actually sing. So promised myself I'd watch the final 3 last night. I had not seen or heard them sing at all until last night. I have to admit, for me, Lauren stood out by a mile. She looks awesome, beautiful voice, great personnality, really like her. I'm actually surprised how the other two made it that far. I enjoy country music and thought Scotty sounded an awful like Randy Travis, but he couldn't pull off that Keeny Rogers song at all, I just didn't think his voice was that strong. And Haley, forgetting the words for 2 out of 3 songs, no excuse for that. I did think her songs were more challenging, but the songs got bigger than her and she couldn't do justice to Stevie Nicks or Alanis. Still, I would have her in the final with Lauren.

+ Reply to Thread