+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233
Results 321 to 329 of 329

Thread: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

  1. #321
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,955

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    I haven't heard that word in over twenty years!! I used to teach at a southern boarding school for girls, and they would repeat that same story about their mothers and grandmothers.

    Thanks for the great memories!!
    I didn't hear it put that way ("prideful"), but I never got out the front door without hearing, "You be a sweet girl."
    It ranked right up there with, "Yes, ma'am" and "Mind your manners."
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

  2. #322
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    496

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    I have been thinking all along that James' emotional reactions was caused partly because of aspergers. I may be wrong, but I thought those
    with aspergers had a harder time keeping their emotions from showing compared to those who don't have aspergers. It seems to me that James
    became emotionally upset several times just when talking about his family. If this is, indeed, a symptom of aspergers, it could explain why it would be so hard
    for him when other contestants with whom he had a stronger bond, were voted off. As I said, though, I could be wrong about this being a symptom.

  3. #323
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    242

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    I just watched The Voice -- not sure now why I even care about these kids on American Idol -- no one on AI this season could beat these VOICE singers. Now most are pros of some sort, but when listening to Javier, I thought Scotty/Lauren/Haley WHO????

    Sort of puts the AI stuff into perspective...

  4. #324
    FORT Fogey Misty8723's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    I just watched The Voice -- not sure now why I even care about these kids on American Idol -- no one on AI this season could beat these VOICE singers. Now most are pros of some sort, but when listening to Javier, I thought Scotty/Lauren/Haley WHO????

    Sort of puts the AI stuff into perspective...
    I haven't seen it yet, but I think the premise is different. Idol is supposed to take someone with raw talent who isn't a pro and see what they can do. I know that line has blurred in recent years, but they still aren't pros like they have on the Voice. A lot of things have to come together for someone to make it in this industry, and some people with truly awesome voices never get anywhere while some with mediocre voices make it huge.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

  5. #325
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,164

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I haven't seen it yet, but I think the premise is different. Idol is supposed to take someone with raw talent who isn't a pro and see what they can do. I know that line has blurred in recent years, but they still aren't pros like they have on the Voice. A lot of things have to come together for someone to make it in this industry, and some people with truly awesome voices never get anywhere while some with mediocre voices make it huge.
    So true.

  6. #326
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    242

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I haven't seen it yet, but I think the premise is different. Idol is supposed to take someone with raw talent who isn't a pro and see what they can do. I know that line has blurred in recent years, but they still aren't pros like they have on the Voice. A lot of things have to come together for someone to make it in this industry, and some people with truly awesome voices never get anywhere while some with mediocre voices make it huge.
    It really doesn't matter if the premises are different. Trouble is that the purchasing audiences are basically the same. With the coaches/mentors/judges on The Voice also competing with each other to present and prepare the ultimate winner, they are choosing singers who are coachable and (God forbid) listen to, react, and respect their advice!

    Awesome voices can be both discovered and ignored. They must be in the right place at the right time AS WELL AS be ready to take their job seriously. I know wannabe "pros" who are sure that no one ever gave them a chance - BUT they got a chance - they just didn't like the opportunity.

    Misty, check out The Voice. You can find repeats of the opening episodes On Demand as well as on other channels. In order to really understand the premise it is imperative to see it from the start.

  7. #327
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    833

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by mslady View Post
    I have been thinking all along that James' emotional reactions was caused partly because of aspergers. I may be wrong, but I thought those with aspergers had a harder time keeping their emotions from showing compared to those who don't have aspergers. It seems to me that James became emotionally upset several times just when talking about his family. If this is, indeed, a symptom of aspergers, it could explain why it would be so hard for him when other contestants with whom he had a stronger bond, were voted off. As I said, though, I could be wrong about this being a symptom.
    That is true of my friend who has Aspergers. I also had a friend in college who had Aspergers and that's how he was. I can only speak from folks I know personally who have the disease. I'm sure it manifests itself differenty in different people who have it. And in Jame's case, when his emotions start, his tourette's tics are more prominant, so it's a double whammy for him, as he has both. My friends didn't have Tourette's, just Aspergers.
    Last edited by Gina28; 05-18-2011 at 05:22 PM.

  8. #328
    FORT Fanatic Babycakee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    In his Dreams ♥
    Posts
    543

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    I've watched The Voice and wasn't all the impressed with quite a few of the singers. Some are good but, imo, most are just ok. The difference with The Voice and AI is that on Voice you have the actual pro's working with the contestants to help better them; giving them direction with the song (which is chosen by the pro) whereas on AI it's mostly up to the contestant to come up a song and with their own version of that song and getting only a little direction from Jimmy I and NOT the so called Pro's.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller

  9. #329
    FORT Fogey Misty8723's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    Misty, check out The Voice. You can find repeats of the opening episodes On Demand as well as on other channels. In order to really understand the premise it is imperative to see it from the start.
    I've been watching the Voice since the beginning, I just can't see it when it airs at 10:00. I'll watch it later online. I didn't know it was On Demand, I'll have to check that out too. I just think its a different premise, and you are right about the coaches looking for people who will listen to them, and who could actually make it in the industry, whereas Idol is casting a reality show. I've also been watching the Next Country Superstar, and there are some good performers on there too, much better than Idol for sure. I find all of these shows fun, though, I just like the singing I guess.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.