+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233 LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 329

Thread: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

  1. #311
    Peace MsFroggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Up here in my tree...
    Posts
    15,532

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post

    And Ms. Froggy: Susan Boyle dressed as Lady Gaga? If I have nightmares it is ALLLLLL your fault! ;-)
    I nearly gave myself a nightmare just typing that.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

  2. #312
    Who, me? Chacharo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    812

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    Hah! That's what I said too. I don't get why a woman dressed in what is basically a bathing suit can get people's panties in such a bunch. This is not 1955 and Gaga is not Susan Boyle or something.
    I love me some Gaga!

    I wonder what people that are offended by Gaga's outfit and moves think about Dancing With the Stars. I've seen some pretty skimpy outfits on there - combined with some pretty provocative moves.

    Prime time tv ain't what it used to be.

  3. #313
    Romantic Dreamer Love_Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,843

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Some contestants can't do anything right and other contestants can't do anything wrong.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

  4. #314
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,957

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    How come all you ladies are tagging on Gaga but neary a word about her male band members all having no shirts?
    Ha!
    I live in hot, muggy Alabama where men of all ages have cut the grass without a shirt for most of my life. That just isn't anything new to me.

    The young ones cut the grass without a shirt and in shorts (not underwear).
    I suspect they are both kinds of hot, but again that is the norm in the hot, muggy Deep South. (They just have to use a lot of sunscreen now with the ozone and skin cancer news.....)
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

  5. #315
    FORT Fogey Misty8723's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    Some contestants can't do anything right and other contestants can't do anything wrong.
    Maybe the contestants who are pushed is because they are better and more is expected of them. I've often seen that in all parts of life, the more you're capable of, the more you're pushed. Whereas, if you are not as good, they let you slide by.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

  6. #316
    FORT Fogey Babbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow...
    Posts
    2,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    James in fact will be making a home town visit it just will not be filmed or shown on AI. Here are the details:

    James Durbin coming home after all - Santa Cruz Sentinel

    The event was originally cancelled because “Idol” said Durbin would not be available to travel to Santa Cruz because of commitments to the show. But on Friday, “Idol” agreed for the first time in its history to allow an exception and to sponsor an eliminated competitor for a homecoming concert. Traditionally, the show only sponsors hometown trips for the top three. Durbin finished fourth in the competition.

    The new schedule includes:

    2:30-3:15 – Press event at the Louden Nelson Center
    3:15-4:15 – A kids’ rally Followed by a walking processional to the Beach Boardwalk.
    5 p.m – James will sing three songs with the White Album Ensemble at the Boardwalk’s bandstand.
    I'm very happy for James. I'm also a little confused, though. Why does Idol need to sponsor anything? If he's been eliminated, then what comittments could he have to the show until the tour begins?

    Saw James on Leno last night. He sounded pretty good--but it was hard to tell since they inserted a commercial during his performance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I think part of it may be how some people expect women and men to behave. Haley, as a female, is being criticized for NOT being overtly sad and crying. While on the other hand James, a male, is being mocked for being too emotional and crying. Social faking is expected, but when a camera is on you and everything is captured, these instances to where the behavior is not the accepted norm can stand out.
    I never thought badly of James for crying. On the night Stephano went home, I thought it was really sweet that James was crying for his good friend. However, I agree with your underlying point. People have expectations of how other people are supposed to react in certain situations, and if those people don't react "correctly" then folks begin to wonder.

    Back during Elizabeth Smart's trial, I read a fascinating article. It said that Smart was giving her testimony in a very composed manner, and that the jury might actually think negatively of her for that. According to the author, most people expect to see victims of rape/abuse sobbing on the witness stand. However, because a case can take quite a while to come to trial, the victim may have undergone counseling and now just wants to put it all behind them. Their lack of emotion can plant seeds of doubt in the minds of the jurors.

    Since throughout the season these contestants have been very emotional when others such as Casey and Stephano left, I think people--myself included--expected the remaining three to show the same level of emotion when James left, especially since James in turn had been so emotional over others.



    I must confess that I said "She looks so smug" when I saw a quick flash of one of the faces of the two women left standing. But that's my baggage because I tend show my emotions more. I did win "Best Facial Expression" in a junior high musical I was in.
    That's my baggage, too. I am an extrovert (ENFP to you Meiers-Briggs fans), and so I get very emotional very easily. I can cry or get angry at the drop of a hat. If I had been on the stage, my first reaction would have been to cry my eyes out as I hugged James, and then once I got to the privacy of my hotel room do a fist pump and say, "Yeah, made it!"

    That also probably has something to do with the fact that I'm female and Southern. I know my mother always taught me to put others before myself and to always downplay any good fortune that happened to me, so that my behavior wouldn't smack of being "too prideful." I daresay a lot of women, especially older ones, were raised this way.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-15-2011 at 11:24 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

    Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

  7. #317
    Ruben is "Soulful" pillbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,115

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    Since I have no idea what any of the contestant's hometown visits look like or sound like YET, we will be able to tell which one is TRULY adored by their fans by the video we see on Wednesday night. If one has huge amounts of intrigued fans, that will say a lot. If one has few fans in attendance, THAT says a lot.
    The reception that an AI contestant gets at a contrived American Idol homecoming festival means nothing to me. I would never base my voting pattern on what kind of a reception a contestant got. I care about their talent, not how many relatives and friends they can persuade to come to see them at some small town event.

    I make these comments now so that no one thinks I am speaking in favor of any one contestant. The truth is, like a good teacher, I have no favorite. Instead, like a human teacher, there have been a couple in the top thirteen that I offer little regard for because they do not deserve my respect. It has nothing to do with talent -- all about personality, kindness, respect for others and themselves, and hard work.
    Although you are a "good" teacher, as you say, I have to respectfully disagree with your statement there are contestants in the Top 13 who don't deserve our respect. I have never met any of the contestants and do not personally know their families and friends. Catching glimpses of the contestants before and after they sing and seeing 2 minute interviews with them do not leave me capable of judging their character. At any rate, I really don't care whether they are annoying, obsessive, cranky, superior, sweet, kind, loving or stuck up. I only care about their singing and whether it would be worth it to plunk down cash for their album or concert. If I based my purchase decisions on whether a performer was "nice," I would never buy anything, given how many performers have been accused of being jerks, like Barbra Streisand, Frank Sinatra, John Mayer, James Taylor etc etc.,
    --
    --
    --
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-16-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

  8. #318
    Fort Regular angelic_one2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    8,579

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    I see what you're saying, Tammi. She is not basing her voting on the amount of people she sees at the homecomings. I think she means she is basing the size of the homecoming on the voting for that particular contestant.

  9. #319
    Ruben is "Soulful" pillbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,115

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    I see what you're saying, Tammi. She is not basing her voting on the amount of people she sees at the homecomings. I think she means she is basing the size of the homecoming on the voting for that particular contestant.
    I don't think there is a correlation between the size of the crowd and the popularity of the contestant. Catherine McPhee had an enormous following on AI that brought her to the finale with Taylor Hicks. But no one (except maybe 50 to 100 people) showed up at her homecoming at her former high school in LA. Elliott Yamin, on the other hand, drew hundreds, maybe thousands, at his homecoming in Virginia. Elliott lost out to Catherine, who competed with Taylor in the Top 2.
    --
    ---
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-16-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

  10. #320
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    242

    Re: 5/12 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    That also probably has something to do with the fact that I'm female and Southern. I know my mother always taught me to put others before myself and to always downplay any good fortune that happened to me, so that my behavior wouldn't smack of being "too prideful." I daresay a lot of women, especially older ones, were raised this way.
    I haven't heard that word in over twenty years!! I used to teach at a southern boarding school for girls, and they would repeat that same story about their mothers and grandmothers.

    Thanks for the great memories!!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.