+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    What is it with Lauren? When she sings an emotional song, she seems disconnected. Why does she incorporate a smile in them? Is it her age? Her nerves? Stress? She held out on the glory note...again. I think this will be her demise on AI. She was once the frontrunner but every week she seemed to slowly lose her confidence as the finale gets closer and closer which will be her demise. I don't think she deserves to be in the finale if she will just be a nervous trainwreck.
    Lauren is singing to not to lose instead of singing to win. That kind of behavior will actually have the opposite effect and get her elminated. I like her voice, but she needs to find her confidence and just go for it this next week.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Me either. I have no idea why most people are so crazy about Haley's version of HOTRS. I don't get it.
    If you google "The House of the Rising Sun," you will see that its origin goes way back both on this continent and in Great Britain, and it comes from both the female and the male perspective.

While it is not plain whether there was a brothel in New Orleans, and the female followed her alcoholic gambling man to New Orleans where she joined a flophouse and had a son, or whether it is just about alcoholism and gambling addiction, this song is about the pure misery of being addicted (ball and chain).

Evidently, some version of this song has been around for ever and ever amen, but the huge monster of a hit which is still the #4 hit of all time in British history came out by the Animals in 1964 and was done in one take.
    It is one of our all time biggies too.

It was gritty and bluesy rock with strident organ chords that just drove into your soul. DON"T DO WHAT I HAVE DONE!
    He almost yells it at you. If you don't feel it, something is wrong.

Steven Tyler, who was highly influenced by the British (invasion) groups of the 60s knew this song extremely well. The fact that he jumped to his feet told me something.

What makes Haley's version good is that she interprets the words. Go back and listen to the words. Compare them to the way that poor little Lauren with her beautiful voice did not interpret the words on her beautiful song, so we were left wanting.
    Last edited by Bloomers; 05-07-2011 at 08:49 AM.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    If you google "The House of the Rising Sun," you will see that its origin goes way back both on this continent and in Great Britain, and it comes from both the female and the male perspective.

While it is not plain whether there was a brothel in New Orleans, and the female followed her alcoholic gambling man to New Orleans where she joined a flophouse and had a son, or whether it is just about alcoholism and gambling addiction, this song is about the pure misery of being addicted (ball and chain).

Evidently, some version of this song has been around for ever and ever amen, but the huge monster of a hit which is still the #4 hit of all time in British history came out by the Animals in 1964 and was done in one take.
    It is one of our all time biggies too.

It was gritty and bluesy rock with strident organ chords that just drove into your soul. DON"T DO WHAT I HAVE DONE!
    He almost yells it at you. If you don't feel it, something is wrong.

Steven Tyler, who was highly influenced by the British (invasion) groups of the 60s knew this song extremely well. The fact that he jumped to his feet told me something.

What makes Haley's version good is that she interprets the words. Go back and listen to the words. Compare them to the way that poor little Lauren with her beautiful voice did not interpret the words on her beautiful song, so we were left wanting.
    Agree with every word of your post and was on my feet at home after the performance...it was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

I can see how that if she would release her voice, Lauren's voice is more marketable than Haley's. I really like Haley and think she's doing better now, but her voice quality just isn't what Lauren's is. Haley is trying though. I have to hand her that.

I like Lauren's voice much better than Haley's. As Mom said after this week's performances, "I remember Janis Joplin, and how I could only listen to her now and then. That growly voice just gets to you. OTOH, that country guy has a voice that you could listen to all the time." Although she was talking about Scotty, I would put Lauren into that category, too.

You're right, Debb; she is much more marketable than Haley, in terms of voice and image. It's a shame that Lauren's throwing it away. Maybe she just feels intimidated now that Haley has come out swinging and has joined the boys in being really good.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I just read that Lady Gaga is the mentor next week. The theme is songs from the “Lieber/Stoller Songbook.” My response was - Say what?? Apparently they penned a lot of songs in the 50's and 60's. Wikipedia lists these as their stand out songs...

* "There Goes My Baby" (with Ben E. King (as Benjamin Nelson), Lover Patterson, and George Treadwell)
    * "Hound Dog"
    * "Kansas City"
    * "Smokey Joe's Cafe"
    * "Yakety Yak"
    * "Poison Ivy"
    * "Charlie Brown"
    * "Ruby Baby"
    * "Stand By Me" (with Ben E. King)
    * "Jailhouse Rock"
    * "Love Potion No. 9"
    * "Searchin'"
    * "Young Blood" (with Doc Pomus)
    * "Is That All There Is?"
    * "I'm a Woman"
    * "Lucky Lips"
    * "On Broadway" (with Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil)
    * "Spanish Harlem" (Jerry Leiber and Phil Spector)

Weird theme IMHO. I'm guessing we'll hear Jailhouse Rock and Stand By Me. Not sure about the other two.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I just read that Lady Gaga is the mentor next week. The theme is songs from the “Lieber/Stoller Songbook.” My response was - Say what?? Apparently they penned a lot of songs in the 50's and 60's. Wikipedia lists these as their stand out songs...

* "There Goes My Baby" (with Ben E. King (as Benjamin Nelson), Lover Patterson, and George Treadwell)
    * "Hound Dog"
    * "Kansas City"
    * "Smokey Joe's Cafe"
    * "Yakety Yak"
    * "Poison Ivy"
    * "Charlie Brown"
    * "Ruby Baby"
    * "Stand By Me" (with Ben E. King)
    * "Jailhouse Rock"
    * "Love Potion No. 9"
    * "Searchin'"
    * "Young Blood" (with Doc Pomus)
    * "Is That All There Is?"
    * "I'm a Woman"
    * "Lucky Lips"
    * "On Broadway" (with Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil)
    * "Spanish Harlem" (Jerry Leiber and Phil Spector)

Weird theme IMHO. I'm guessing we'll hear Jailhouse Rock and Stand By Me. Not sure about the other two.
    What is weird to me is that Lady Gaga is mentoring 50s and 60s early rock and roll songs? <headscratch>
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    What is weird to me is that Lady Gaga is mentoring 50s and 60s early rock and roll songs? <headscratch>
    I thought the same thing, Bloomers. Let's hope that their second selection is more up Lady Gaga's alley!

I am concerned with the non-harmonious mixture of mentoring they are receiving. Especially for the younger kids, internalizing the coaching of ONE mentor is tough enough, let alone the three judges on stage and many mentors behind the scenes.

My post from the spoiler thread:

L & S were a songwriting team from the 50's-today. ( I read their memoir, written a few years ago, and they said they were still active.) They wrote tons of songs and worked with a lot of the great singers. In fact, they wrote a whole bunch of classics, several of which reached the top of the charts, for Elvis. He even called them his "favorite songwriters".

They originally wrote "Hound Dog" for Big Mama Thornton, a legendary blues singer. Elvis decided on his own to cover it, and L & S say in their book that they were disappointed, because they thought Mama's version was better. I highly reccommend their memoir, "Hound Dog," because it's a fascinating look at the early music industry and the big stars.
    I forgot to add that there was a Broadway tribute to them a few years ago. It was called "Smoky Joe's Cafe" and it was hugely successful, so people have fond memories of their songs. Like I said in the other thread, people love singing along to these songs, so this will be either a major trainwreck or major opportunity for the contestants.

Idol also did its own tribute a couple of seasons back, so this is another sign that they're running out of ideas.

And how in the heck does this fit with Lady Ga-ga? This just sounds yukky thinking about it.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread