+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 4/28 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/28 Elimination Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Live at American Idol: Why Was Nigel Freaking Out on Ryan?

"Surprising" is the perfect word to describe Casey Abrams' elimination from the Idol stage Thursday night. We kind of knew he wasn't going to win it all, but we were betting it would be Jacob Lusk packing his bags after the show. However, Casey's exit from the spotlight pales in comparison to the commercial-break drama buidling between producer Nigel Lythgoe, Ryan Seacrest and the judges. So what exactly happened? And how was the mood after the show was over?

MORE: Five Things We'll Miss Most About Michael Scott on The Office

It's no secret Nigel is a bit of a control freak. At every show he's either pulling girls from the audience to rush the stage and attack Scotty McCreery with love, having deep discussions with the judges, or keeping a watchful eye on the contestants. On Thursday's elimination show, he seemed to be all about micro-managing Ryan and even took their conversation backstage and out of audience view.

From our seat behind the judges table we were surprised to see the frantic conversation Nigel was having with Ryan during the commercial breaks. Make-up was by Ryan's side giving him two emergency powder pat-downs while Nigel seemed to be hounding him and giving him strict directions. Following that up with wild hand gestures and quick conversations with the stage manager, Nigel took Ryan backstage, catching the attention of the Idols on the couch and the audience around us.

While the cameras rolled and results were being read, Nigel had his hands on his head looking totally stressed. At the next commercial break, Nigel went to the judges table and it appeared he was giving them a talking to about how the evening's show was playing out. Then he ran back up to Ryan, said something and then went back to his corner looking irritated. Although Ryan kept his cool and smiled through it all, it seemed to us Nigel was doing everything in his power to up the drama that eventually lead to Casey's elimination. Sheesh!

Speaking of results, as Casey celebrated his time on Idol with his enthusiastic, funny and heartfelt swan song, rumored love interest Haley Reinhart wiped away tears as his memory montage was played. Lauren Alaina was by her side giving her consoling pats on the back and helpful smiles. Even though Casey wasn't the fan favorite, it's obvious he was stole the hearts of all the judges. After the cameras stopped rolling, the audience was chanting Casey's name, and he was swarmed by production staff, the judges, and of course his fellow contestants. Randy Jackson, Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez all took an extra amount of time to give him a pep talk, long hugs and we even spotted Jennifer wiping away a tear. Casey took time to give a short speech to the audience, an Idol first, thanking them for their support and said he was excited for the future.

While some fans were disappointed that Casey is no longer in the Idol running, more disappointment stemmed from yet another pre-taped performance, this time by Bruno Mars. We witnessed the taping a month ago after an elimination show, and tonight we heard the ripple of disappointed murmurs in the audience when they found out music's "it boy" wasn't in the building. Fact is, like Katy Perry's performance, Bruno's entailed a long set up, a run through and two performances to get what you saw in your living room. Well, what can we say? That's the "magic" of Hollywood!

Do you think Casey was the wrong Idol to be eliminated? Do you think Nigel should stop staging drama on the show? Who do you think is the judges' favorite now? Let us know in the comments!
    Live at American Idol: Why Was Nigel Freaking Out on Ryan? - E! Online
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    So it is not clear who the bottom three were. it could have been Casey and two other people.
    Thank you, Pillbeam. I didn't notice Ryan ever say whether they were showing the B3 or B2, but I was hitting my FF button a lot, so I could have missed it. I knew you'd be on top of this.

Sure makes it hard to play the Prediction Game when they decide to show the bottom vote getter with 2 random people!!! Grrrr.

FORT Fogey

Having Scotty stand next to Casey was supposed to create drama. We all knew Casey was a gonner at that point and no suprize. Nigel probably hatched the plan to have two safe then leave the rest hanging as the show was airing. The aritcle above makes me think his brain storm happened on the spot and he was frantic to get the details to Ryan about this change of format.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    That's what I was wondering. Maybe the producers fudged and Scotty is really on top like ususal, but they just put him B3 for the drama.
    They didn't have to fudge. At least twice Ryan mentioned that the results were given in no particular order. He did it before starting and then again at some point during the process.

I think Casey is mad talented and I think it was great for AI to have him as a contestant, however, I don't think he is the best singer. He is a great musician and he will have a career, possibly an amazing career. I just don't think it will be able to be measured in the same way so many folks tend to measure AI success. He is a different type of talent.
    Last edited by NCLurker; 04-29-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    They didn't have to fudge. At least twice Ryan mentioned that the results were given in no particular order. He did it before starting and then again at somepoint during the process.
    Yep - they technically did not have a bottom 3 last night. Or at least not that was shown.

I was actually curious if Scotty's numbers have dropped off a bit, and they wanted to energize his fans to vote more. You know how they like to brag about how many votes were called in. What do you want to bet next week they're able to state how many millions of votes were cast? Unless I missed it, they didn't say anything about it last night.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    Yep - they technically did not have a bottom 3 last night. Or at least not that was shown.

I was actually curious if Scotty's numbers have dropped off a bit, and they wanted to energize his fans to vote more. You know how they like to brag about how many votes were called in. What do you want to bet next week they're able to state how many millions of votes were cast? Unless I missed it, they didn't say anything about it last night.
    I think Scotty's may have dropped some, and I suspect that James has probably steadily climbed.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    I think Scotty's may have dropped some, and I suspect that James has probably steadily climbed.
    I agree. Right now James is the hot name on the show.... every article I read was mad for him. Of course the producers need to shake things up and make it exciting!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

If Scotty wasn't in the bottom 3 with SWINGING, then he wolud not have been there with a legit B3 last night. That game Ryan played last night might have been more successful after the SWINGING performance, but nobody believed that Scotty woukd go home last night. It would have been more dramatic, if that is what they were going for, if Casey and Haley were the last two standing.

I have no complaints about losing Casey. He was supposed to go several weeks ago. He is a great musician, not so much a singer. With the publicity from AI, I hope he has a career as a jazz musician. He, like James, has a great talent that would not have been discovered except for AI. That is the best aspect of the show---they do, for a number of talented kids, showcase a talent that would have remained small-town.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lorac7 View Post
    Totally agree, remember Lauren Turner from the top 24, really good voice but she wasn't a size two like the girls picked for the wild card & didn't make the wild card round despite the fact she sang better than all the wild card singers picked. I hope she will try out for The Voice next season.
    THANKS, you took the words out of our mouths...say them each week!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post

That is entirely possible. I think the bottom three were as we all thought. Casey, Jacob and Haley. I don't anticipate any surprizes in the boot order but I do expect some gymnastics trying to make the elimination show suspenseful.

+ Reply to Thread