+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 4/27 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 4/27 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    I hadn't thought of the wayward elbow....good catch. I also noticed he had his head bent throughout song, a habit he's annoyed me with for weeks.
    ---
    Me too. He didn't sing out of the corner of his mouth though. That is something.

I did not think he did a good job with that song. His country twang slipped in there a couple of times.

James was the star of the night, clearly. Still I find this season boring.

I totally agree with you on all counts.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Me too. He didn't sing out of the corner of his mouth though. That is something.

I did not think he did a good job with that song. His country twang slipped in there a couple of times.

James was the star of the night, clearly. Still I find this season boring.
    Yeah, lots of good singers and lots of boredom.
    ---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

---

Is it because of the singers, or has the show lost it's sparkle?

FORT Fogey

---
    I lay blame on the judges for, perhaps, passing by some unique talent in the audition phase. It is not all about the best voice. You need pizzazz. And they have done nothing to inspire this group either. We are seeing some lame critique which is too little too late.

James is one the exception here.

For me the judges are lacking and they are as much a part of this show as the talent. Simon, like him or not, inspired the contestants to do better and most viewers agreed that he said what they were thinking. Contestants valued his opinion.

I would lay money down on Jimmy Iovine being a judge next season, replacing Tyler.
    Last edited by shoepie; 04-29-2011 at 09:22 AM.

FORT Fogey

I don't think I could possibly disagree with you more.

I lay blame on the judges for, perhaps, passing by some unique talent in the audition phase. It is not all about the best voice. You need pizzazz. And they have done nothing to inspire this group either. We are seeing some lame critique which is too little too late.
    The key is whom the producers bring to the judges initially (200 people out 100,000 or more contestants). The producers and the judges then decide who gets in the Top 12. They rejected talented folks like Lauren Taylor and Caleb Hawley in favor of people with more dramatic stories and attractive looks. That's how the TV show has always operated. For those who don't remember Caleb, he's this fantastic bluesy singer-songwriter who got axed in Hollywood. I met him in January at his folk concert in Maryland. Unfortunately for him, he has no sad/weird/dramatic back story or personality. He's just a hard-working musician with a lot of talent.
    ---

---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

The key is whom the producers bring to the judges initially (200 people out 100,000 or more contestants). The producers and the judges then decide who gets in the Top 12. They rejected talented folks like Lauren Taylor and Caleb Hawley in favor of people with more dramatic stories and attractive looks. That's how the TV show has always operated. For those who don't remember Caleb, he's this fantastic bluesy singer-songwriter who got axed in Hollywood. I met him in January at his folk concert in Maryland. Unfortunately for him, he has no sad/weird/dramatic back story or personality. He's just a hard-working musician with a lot of talent.
    ---

---
    Yes, and they probably have new producers frequently. I cannot fathom what that job is like. But even then I did not get the feeling the judges were seeking unique. Elliot Yasmin got through the beauty patrol though, as did Taylor Hicks, Frenchie and Man___(very heavy black woman). There have been others.

My opinion is not a popular one but this season is very lack luster for me.

My opinion is not a popular one but this season is very lack luster for me.
    Yeah, I have no idea how Elliott got into the show, but he still remains as the best singer ever to come out of Idol. His debut album was fabulous folks--very contemporary and beautifully sung. I agree, the season is lack luster. Mainly because the producers rejected folks like Lauren and Caleb.

FORT Fogey

Ellitt is the perfect example of the great singer who cannot make it big. He has had some success, but not the level his voice would demand. He did have his teeth done which improved his looks, but then he adopted some strange hairstyle which complicated what improvements he made. It is a sad commentary on humans that we really do need an attractive exterior

+ Reply to Thread