+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 4/27 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/27 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

James was absolutely, without a doubt, the best of the night. AGAIN! He was amazing.

Jacob - still doesn't do it for me.

Scotty - bleh. To me he is getting worse, not better.

Lauren - She was ok tonight, but still not seeing any real improvement.

Casey - He was pretty good.

Haley - was ok.

James is just head and shoulders above the rest talent wise and performance wise. Way to go James!

I just realized that after watching an hour and a half of AI, I'm sitting here humming the Xfinity cable TV jingle! That's sure saying something!

Like Randy said "This Guy Might Just Win The Whole Thing". After tonight James deserves too. He brings his A game every time he steps onto the stage.

I think Scotty will win this season though. He sounded much better this week and I actually enjoyed his song tonight.

Lauren has so much potential, but once again she seemed to be holding back.

Haley has been one of my favorites this season, but tonight it wasn't the best song choice. Plus, she started off having issues with her ear piece. There were so many other songs I think would have showcased her voice more then the one she went with. The end sounded good, but overall it was a disaster.

Jacob seemed to be struggling in his package piece before he sang tonight and Jimmy made comments about him being in danger if he didn't knock it out of the park. Well, I thought he did pretty good tonight. Maybe even enough to make it another week.

Casey, was my least favorite tonight. I enjoy when he is controlled and takes his time on a song. Like the way he sang the week after the judges saved him.

The bottom three will be:

Haley, Jacob, and Casey

Haley will be eliminated tomorrow night.

The F3 will end up being James, Scotty, and Lauren.

With Scotty in the F2 for sure.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

I loved Scotty tonight. I thought it was one of his best and showed he could go cross over to pop. James was a very close second.
    ~Mary Esq

Brandon (21) Justin (7) (nope, not a typo)
    B needs positive thoughts and prayers for the MCAT
    J would like to have a pen pal

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf! View Post
    I

I wish Ryan would stop pushing a romance between Lauren and Scotty. There's nothing there. Absolutely nothing. Having said that, Lauren at least shows some personality and tries to roll with it, but Scotty just can't seem to joke about anything. Very awkward to watch.
    Oh I agree with you there. He could have at least said that she's attractive or something. "she's really pretty but we are more like brother and sister". He couldn't even give her a compliment. It was weird and I felt bad for her.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I think Scotty and James will be in the final two. When James first made it, I was really disgruntled. I felt he the judges gave him a slot better filled by Robbie or JC. It took me a while to become a fan, but he has grown on me (a lot). Initially, I loved Lauren, but she has lost so much confidence since the auditions that it's like she's a beached out prom photo that someone has tried to retouch. It is so sad. She needs a make-under.
    ~Mary Esq

Brandon (21) Justin (7) (nope, not a typo)
    B needs positive thoughts and prayers for the MCAT
    J would like to have a pen pal

April 27, 2011: The Top Six

1. Scott McCreery. In my opinion, the best performance of the night; certainly his finest moment on the Idol stage. Honestly, I was prepared for boredom (not a Carol King fan) but I loved this performance. Jimmy and Babyface nailed this make-over; stripped away all the fat and fanfare until nothing was left but a lyric; minimalist music at its finest, but it was Scott who breathed new life into this otherwise boring song. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. Scott owns the country music and teen/tween vote, but James and Casey own the adult and mature vote, and we don’t really know yet who has the upper hand. Other Idol competitions have been dealing with this generation gap for years. For example, Singapore Idol voters are almost exclusively young and female, and never vote for other females. In fact, the pretty ones are sent home very early, and often quite unceremoniously, regardless of talent. That hasn’t happened yet on this show; female viewers of this show treat all contestants fairly and with the utmost respect. But AI’s teen/tween voters will definitely flex their muscle this time round. They are a dedicated and formidable voting bloc. This season will mark American Idols’ first war between the generations, but it is a war that had to happen, if Idol wants to remain atop the Nielsen charts and lower the average age of viewers to that commercially profitable 18-49 market share. I don’t have a horse in this race but I certainly wouldn’t put my money on James or Casey just yet; not while Idol’s prodigal and technologically advanced teen voters are flexing muscle, and, certainly not while the object of their affection is still in the mix.
    2. Lauren Alaina. I’m not sure this was her best work. I’m not even sure she’s an artist, to be honest. She leaves huge chunks of herself and each performance back stage so never really explores a lyric or takes command of a melody. So why is she here? It’s all those intangibles, again. Her flaws and musical limitations are overshadowed and protected from scrutiny by that oh-so-buoyant sweet girly wholesomeness and that seemingly indestructible effervescent charm. I still there are those who do it better. In my opinion, James Durbin is the best singer in this competition, with Haley Reinhart a close second. But on this night, it was Lauren who picked the perfect song; one that fit her like a glove; and then nailed it shut. Yes, this could have been magical in Kelly Clarkson’s care but absent Kelly, there’s certainly nobody in this competition who could have done it better.
    3. James Durbin. A good vocal, I guess, if you like lounge rock. I don’t. Yes, he tried to re-create it in his image; gave it muscle; framed it as best he could, but there’s just not much in the Carol King songbook for James. Archibald McLeish (Ars Poetica) said, “A poem should not mean but be”, and this certainly applies to music. Artistic preference is always subjective, so your choices are just as valid, but in my opinion, James is the best singer here. And, he, more than anyone, understands how the game’s played. I like him. I respect him. I didn’t like this performance. Started out with promise but for some reason decided to changed tempo; and quickly descended into the bowels of pillow pop. Not for me.
    4. Haley Reinhart. Haley and Jacob are experiencing real problems with song choice. I think she picked the wrong song last week; the week before that, but that wasn’t the problem here. What she did was beautifully crafted; a bit boring in parts but certainly very good; just not the equal of the exquisitely performed Piece of My Heart. I know now what she can do so I want to see that every time out and it’s not happening. I think she is the second best singer in the competition, but I begin to wonder if she possesses the musical savvy to challenge the rest. I wonder too if America will tire of her inconsistency before she can fix it.
    5. Casey Abrams. Lots of fun. Loads of personality. Brimming with entertainment. Unfortunately, the singing just wasn’t there. But he is what he is. With Casey, it’s not so much about melodies and lyrics as growls and props. He is an accomplished musician; and when he gets it right; he’s magical. What's so wrong with Casey in Phrygian mode?
    6. Jacob Lusk. I don’t know when it happened or how it happened but Jacob has lost his way. What started with a triumphant entrance has morphed into a musical wasteland. I got nothing from this performance. Something else I don't understand. So far, he’s steered clear of romantic ballads because he’s uncomfortable with them, but that, in my opinion, is hurting him, because it severely limits an already restricted Idol catalog and leaves him with second bests. Love songs are also the staple of R&B, so shunning them in favor of gender neutral songs is not a wise career move for a budding young R&B hopeful.

Still not finished with my smart choices, but I worked up a few for Scott.

Smart Choices for Scott

1. Anymore (Travis Tritt); (a musical masterpiece; and Travis Tritt is one of the finest singers in all of country music; second half of this song is absolutely spine tingling).
    2. Must Be Doing Something Right (Billy Currington; one the sexiest celebrations of romantic love in this or any other genre)
    3. Making Memories of Us (Keith Urban; by the numbers, the most romantic contemporary country love song of the last decade; Keith Urban is liquid soul).
    4. History In The Making (Darius Rucker; contemporary pop country at its finest; a beautiful ballad from country music’s newest superstar)...
    5. Live like You’re Dying (Tim McGraw; without question, the most cerebral country song of the last ten years; a masterful composition; brilliant lyrics; great storyline)..
    6. When You Come Back To Me Again (Garth Brooks; yet another tear-jerker from the incomparable Garth Brooks)
    7. It’s Won’t Be Like This For Long (Darius Rucker; another contemporary country pop chart topper from country’s newest sensation)
    8. The Change (Garth Brooks); another heart-tugging ballad from country’s best balladeer)
    9. Walking in Memphis (Marc Cohn; fantastic storyline; insanely popular; will be well-received).
    10. Smoke A Little Smoke (Eric Church; foot stomping, politically incorrect, country funk at its finest, from the delightfully devilish Eric Church).
    11. Home (Blake Shelton; a beautiful interpretation of this Michael Buble classic )
    12. Me and You (Kenny Chesney; one of the few musically coherent compositions from this wildly popular country music superstar).
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 04-28-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost View Post
    April 27, 2011: The Top Six
    Still not finished with my smart choices, but I worked up a few for Scott.

Smart Choices for Scott

1. Anymore (Travis Tritt); (a musical masterpiece; and Travis Tritt is one of the finest singers in all of country music; second half of this song is absolutely spine tingling).
    2. Must Be Doing Something Right (Billy Currington; one the sexiest celebrations of romantic love in this or any other genre)
    3. Making Memories of Us (Keith Urban; by the numbers, the most romantic contemporary country love song of the last decade; Keith Urban is liquid soul).
    4. History In The Making (Darius Rucker; contemporary pop country at its finest; a beautiful ballad from country musicís newest superstar)...
    5. Live like Youíre Dying (Tim McGraw; without question, the most cerebral country song of the last ten years; a masterful composition; brilliant lyrics; great storyline)..
    6. When You Come Back To Me Again (Garth Brooks; yet another tear-jerker from the incomparable Garth Brooks)
    7. Itís Wonít Be Like This For Long (Darius Rucker; another contemporary country pop chart topper from countryís newest sensation)
    8. The Change (Garth Brooks); another heart-tugging ballad from countryís best balladeer)
    9. Walking in Memphis (Marc Cohn; fantastic storyline; insanely popular; will be well-received).
    10. Smoke A Little Smoke (Eric Church; foot stomping, politically incorrect, country funk at its finest, from the delightfully devilish Eric Church).
    11. Home (Blake Shelton; a beautiful interpretation of this Michael Buble classic )
    12. Me and You (Kenny Chesney; one of the few musically coherent compositions from this wildly popular country music superstar).
    I vote #2!!!! If Scotty sang that song, I think I'd turn into an instant cougar.

On the serious side, I think he could probably have a "moment" with this song.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I am not popular in my opinion. This season bores me to tears!
    For me this season went terribly wrong when they saved Casey. Simon would never have saved him. I'm not even sure if Simon would have put him through (but then again he did help give us a few bad ones in the past).

I also wish that instead of lowering the minimum age that they'd raised it. I do like Scotty and Lauren, but I wish they'd had a bit more seasoning before auditioning (Lauren especially).

At this point, it seems like it will be a Lauren/Scotty/James final 3. Very predictable but still not as predictable as Survivor (GRRRR).
    Do you want to see the Cook Islands Great Humpback Whale? Ozazy Lusth from Survivor! Ozzy, I want to see the great cook Islands Humpback Whale!

FORT Fanatic

I think James has an incredible voice but I love it so much more when he sings straight without all the screaming. He is gifted with a natural talent
    I just wish he would use it some other way than that screaming rock style. He is certainly capable of doing that.

+ Reply to Thread