+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425

Thread: 4/20 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/20 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    How did people used to sing before the invention of ear pieces?
    As the average bar band still does, they used monitors, and usually stood with the band rather than having the band in some mysterious place off stage, so they also heard the music acoustically.

Quote Originally Posted by brierpatch View Post
    As the average bar band still does, they used monitors, and usually stood with the band rather than having the band in some mysterious place off stage, so they also heard the music acoustically.
    I don't mean to be stupid, but what are monitors? I see people who are singing with a band around them wearing the ear pieces?
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    How did people used to sing before the invention of ear pieces?
    I have been asking the same question. 9 seasons went well without them.

A monitor is like a speaker at the floor level pointed back to the musicians. They can vary in size, but typically have about a 2 x 3 foot footprint, and stand about 2 feet high. The drawback of monitors is that they block some of the view of the stage, and could often result in feedback from the microphones or speakers if they aren't placed properly or set correctly, and take up room when hauling the sound gear in the back of the station wagon! Back in the 90s some musicians I knew started to use personal monitors which were small electronic devices that attached to the microphone stand. Many musicians still use the stage monitors or personal monitors rather than the ear monitors.

+ Reply to Thread