+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: 4/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fan

Re: 4/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    I really tried to like Jacob, but he rubs me the wrong way. There is a hint of cocky attitude that irks me. I dig the gospel sound in its correct moment but even the restrained Jacob I find very all over the place. He is usually off key in several areas of his performance and yet people think he sounds perfect... I think having a musical background most likely ruins competitions like these for me, I can pick out tone issues, pitch problems etc. more easily then someone who isn't familiar... Small voice issues I chalk up to nerves and give the singer a pass, knowing they just need more time and practice to get it right, but when there are glaring voice issues that the judges aren't picking up on, I am flabbergasted.
    Just realized that you are a Buffalo Bills fan - so am I!! One of the Bills players used to sing with Justin Guarini in his earlier years...for what it's worth!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellenote View Post

For me, the real surprise was Casey, who I've never supported and never voted for nor ever liked.... I was glad he stuck to what he most felt he knew and loved doing.

Which leads me to the final surprise: James D.! ....not only did he passionately know what was right for him, what he's most passionate about, but he went for it, full on and did a great job!
    Way upthread, somebody said that it was arrogant for Casey to disregard Jimmy's advice and go with his own choice of song. First of all, I didn't see Casey with an arrogant attitude. He respectfully told the camera that he considered but it just didn't feel right.

Secondly, TMZ recently released an article where they ranked the contestants according to how many votes they've been receiving. Pia, they said, had consistently been near the bottom of the voting, so there was no chance she could have won. And yet week after week Jimmy stood by and let her sing the same genre until she walked off the cliff? No, Casey's wasn't the greatest performance I've ever seen on Idol. However, I applaud him for seeing the light and realizing that he has the power to stay true to himself. Yes, he might follow Pia tonight, but there's a classic quote from Paradise Lost: "Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven." At least he won't be crying, wondering why he got eliminated when he did all the right things...

And BTW, Jimmy signing Pia up the same night she was eliminated, basically rubbing it in America's face for their voting choice. I find that a tad bit arrogant.

No, he's not the best of the best as a singer; but he was truly terrific and it was amazing to see heavy metal on Idol, like that - even if true aficionados cavil at the authenticity and quality....I hope he has enough fans to stay. His bravery and abilities deserve it.

Substitute "Jazz" and that's how I feel about Casey.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Was Jacob the only one who took Jimmy's advice last night?

The judges have become annoying. Even if you don't like Hayley the fact she was the only one the judges picked on shows how out of touch they really are.

A lot of contestants could have used the same advice and guidance.
    Last edited by Love_Me; 04-14-2011 at 06:21 PM.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    You may be right about the coasting part.
    I read that he and Lauren are actually the top 2 vote getters.
    I believe it. They are my top two favorites. I'm not sure why. I just like them.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    I agree, Magnum. Casey was playing with the tones deliberately, just like most jazz artists. Musically, he's probably the most unique talent AI has seen.

Speaking of unique talent, I think it's great that AI has paid tribute to Simon and Garfunkel by letting contestants sings their music. But there is only one vocal version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" that counts, the one featuring Garfunkel's solo. I remember hearing Paul Simon, who wrote the song, say that when he first showed Garfunkel the song, he told Garfunkel to sing it solo. Garfunkel said "You're crazy, this is too great a song for you to give up for yourself to sing." Simon replied that he wrote the song based on Garfunkel's voice. So the singer and song are tied for eternity. Here is the classic version:

YouTube - Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water Original Version

----
    ----
    I totally agree and I have never heard a version of that song by anybody that comes anywhere close to Art Garfunkel's version.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I totally agree and I have never heard a version of that song by anybody that comes anywhere close to Art Garfunkel's version.
    Have you ever heard Aretha Franklin sing that song? Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    Can't stand Aertha Franklin's voice. Way too shrieky for me, and I don't like R&B in general. I prefer the pureness of Garfunkel's voice. He has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I wish that had been Stephano's song because his voice is so high that it would suit him. I like Jacob but wish he'd done something else. Maybe Amazing Grace from Amazing Grace movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    I have & it doesn't come close to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I have & it doesn't come close to the original.

I agree 100%, but some posters were saying Jacob came close to sounding as good as the original version Simon and Garfunkel sang.

I strongly disagreed with that. He didn't even come close either.

+ Reply to Thread