+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: 4/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    Exactly! That's the best description of James yet! ;up
    Yep. James always sounds like he is in a rock musical on Broadway, not in a real stadium concert.

I adored Jacob. He was controlled, emotionally connected to the lyrics and his vocal range is outstanding. He truly made that song his own version, the mark of a great artist. I couldn't stop replaying my tape of his performance. He is a vocal star.

I loved Casey--but I'm heavy into jazz singing. It blows my mind that a musician as good as Casey is on this show. I know Nat King Cole's version of that song very well, and Casey did a very good job of doing his own interpretation.

Everyone else bored me.
    ----
    ----
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-14-2011 at 01:20 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

I'm sorry, but I cannot stand Jacob. He annoys the heck out of me with over dramatic singing. I didn't even watch him. Changed the channel. Besides, the only one that can sing this song besides S&G, is Clay.

I absolutely loved James and Lauren. My favorites of the night. Wish the judges would stop telling everyone how great they are and give them some constructive criticism
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    I'm sorry, but I cannot stand Jacob. He annoys the heck out of me with over dramatic singing. I didn't even watch him.
    Perhaps you would have liked this performance if you had seen it. Jacob has recently put the breaks on the over-dramatic singing. His version of the Simon and Garfunkel song was humble and restrained but powerful. Check it out on Youtube.
    ---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

I think there was definitely something up tonight with the sound: Paul, Stefano, Casey, Lauren and Scotty all seemed to have problems finding the key as the music started, though in all cases they corrected eventually for strong endings.

As far as Casey, while he tore up the ending, that initial off-key start combined with "were they growls or throat clears" combined with the creepy serial-killer look into the camera made me just not enjoy that performance.

Was it just me or was Haley intentionally letting the backup singers carry the heavy load on the initial "Call me" punches? I felt like she was cheating there. Other than that I actually thought this was one of her more enjoyable moments for me. Not the best song, but she fit it well and was fun to watch.

I loved Paul's new suit. Too bad the rest of that was so... blah.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    Perhaps you would have liked this performance if you had seen it. Jacob has recently put the breaks on the over-dramatic singing. His version of the Simon and Garfunkel song was humble and restrained but powerful. Check it out on Youtube. ---
    I did watch and listened intently because I too think S & G and Clay are "the only ones" ... but I would have added Jacob if I thought he did a great job. I swear I heard him go off key at least twice. I think Randy was way off when he said Jacob was "perfect". No intent to dispute you. I erased my recording but if you recorded it, please listen again. There were two really off notes/moments.

I think the worst of the evening were Haley, Jacob, Scotty (who should have done Everybody's talking" ) and "gulp" please don't hate me ... but James. The best thing about James' performance was the guitarist.

I think the best of the night was Lauren, with Paul (entertaining) , Stefano ( better, but ordinary) and Casey (interesting) being somewhere in the middle.

Hayley or Jacob should go home, but Jennifer probably saved Haley with the vote for the girls comment ... and Randy probably saved Jacob with the "perfect" comments. Unfortunately it will probably be Paul leaving which is when I think I will stop watching.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo47 View Post
    Lots of useful advice this season ~ but Steven sometimes is in lala land. I often find he's trying to be poetic and he should just spit it out. I realize he's a huge draw to the show and I like him, but he needs to advise with substance and not poetry and metaphors.
    I definitely agree with you. Steven is basically a male version of Paula.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    I'm sorry, but I cannot stand Jacob. He annoys the heck out of me with over dramatic singing. I didn't even watch him. Changed the channel. Besides, the only one that can sing this song besides S&G, is Clay.

I absolutely loved James and Lauren. My favorites of the night. Wish the judges would stop telling everyone how great they are and give them some constructive criticism
    Totally agree about Jacob, about Clay, and about James and Lauren. I loved Lauren's version. I also really enjoyed Stefano and voted for him last night because he deserves to stay more than Jacob, or even Paul....who was my early favorite, but he's starting to wear thin. I want to like Haley...I think she has a great sound...but the only thing good about her performance last night was that killer dress.

I agree with those wondering about the sound last night. I asked a number of times on here if there was something off with the sound. It was especially noticeable when Scotty was singing. He kept going loud and then fading out. But what else was noticeable was that not a single one of them didn't hit a sour note. I mean the kinds that make you reel back and shake your head to get the screech out of it. They just didn't sound right last night, pity, because that is all the voters go off and a technical issue may cost one of them a spot.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    Perhaps you would have liked this performance if you had seen it. Jacob has recently put the breaks on the over-dramatic singing. His version of the Simon and Garfunkel song was humble and restrained but powerful. Check it out on Youtube.
    ---
    Sorry pillbeam, I have no desire to watch him. I don't like his voice, his stage presence, and his over dramatic singing. He's not my cup of tea
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I've said before that I think these over produced songs are not helping.
    When I listened to Hayley, all I could hear were backup singers who were much better than she was.
    I thought the best of the night were the sax woman - with Paul - and the guitarist, Zak Wilde, - with James. I also give kudos to the pianist with Casey.
    They were truly the best of the night.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread