+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: 4/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I agree the back up singers and other persons on stage can be too much, but the worst is when the band drowns out the performance by the kids.

Lots of different opinions here. I am surprised that so many people like Jacob. I just feel like I have seen his performance a hundred times already.

I forgot upthread to comment on Paul. I loved him last week, but last night was not good IMO. I thought he seemed in over his head. It was one of my least favorite, along with Jacob and Casey, although, normally, I love Casey.

What's the deal with allowing a celebrity to perform and stay on stage with a contestant? I think it shows too much favoritsm and if they are going to do for one, they should do it for all. I don't like that.

Someone please tell me the name of the music coach for the show. I know that Will is stepping in, but who is the white guy? I want to research him. Is he really a professional? He seems really odd IMO.

That would be Jimmy Iovine, a big record producer....has a record label, he is the one who wants to sign Pia.

Quote Originally Posted by everly2 View Post
    I agree the back up singers and other persons on stage can be too much, but the worst is when the band drowns out the performance by the kids.
    that has happened in the past too. Another thing that annoys me.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

BTW
    FORT Fanatic

DITTO to that.
    The next worst idea is the voting system. For Pete's sake, put some limits on votes! The people with little else to do can put in hundreds, etc., if they choose.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I have been a huge fan all season, glad for the changes that have been put in place, but overall it was just OK. Nothing really stood out for me. Actually what stood out was the over-the-top aspects of the production. Too many people on stage.....we want to hear the kids, not a slew of backup singers and FEATURED musicians. What was that rocker guitarist doing staying on the stage with James during the judging??? Get rid of the rag hanging off your belt James. We have seen the tail already.
    I totally agree, and usually the backup singers are too lound and drowning out the contestant. I tune in to see the contestants - not the judges, not the band, not the mentors, not the fancy production stuff - just let them get out there and sing and see what they can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    So true. James is like a little boy playing rock star in his bedroom. He tries, but...eh.
    But that's what I like about James, he seems very genuine and like he's just out there having a blast. So what if he's not "authentic," he's a lot of fun. No a fan of metal AT ALL, but enjoyed him enjoying himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I am bored with this season and it because of the judging, for me. The final 12 can sing, so of course they are good. That is a no brainer so stop saying this every damn show. It is about their style creating entertainment.
    For me, the judges are peripheral to the singing, and the fast few seasons it had become all about them, so I like this way better. I don't care if all they say are good things, its up to me and the rest of the voting public to decide who we like and who we vote for. Here's something I've noticed that's different, reading these boards. There is dislike for certain performers / performances, just differences of opinion, but there isn't any out and out hatred like I've seen in past seasons. So kudos to the judges for not stirring that pot and keeping everything positive. And I've heard more actual useful advice this season than any other season.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-14-2011 at 02:10 PM.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    For me, the judges are peripheral to the singing, and the fast few seasons it had become all about them, so I like this way better. I don't care if all they say are good things, its up to me and the rest of the voting public to decide who we like and who we vote for.

Here's something I've noticed that's different, reading these boards. There is dislike for certain performers / performances, just differences of opinion, but there isn't any out and out hatred like I've seen in past seasons. So kudos to the judges for not stirring that pot and keeping everything positive. And I've heard more actual useful advice this season than any other season.
    Lots of useful advice this season ~ but Steven sometimes is in lala land. I often find he's trying to be poetic and he should just spit it out. I realize he's a huge draw to the show and I like him, but he needs to advise with substance and not poetry and metaphors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo47 View Post
    Lots of useful advice this season ~ but Steven sometimes is in lala land. I often find he's trying to be poetic and he should just spit it out. I realize he's a huge draw to the show and I like him, but he needs to advise with substance and not poetry and metaphors.
    Listen back to what he said to Casey...

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo47 View Post
    I totally agree and I really like Steven, didn't think I would but I do. I just wish he would be straight up with what he is trying to say.

Regarding performances.....

I didn't think Scotty was really off key, however, it wasn't my favorite performance from him. That being said, this kid makes it look so stinking easy. Like him or not, someone who makes it look so easy has something special.

Jacob, was just too way over the top for me. I wasn't surprised as I always feel this way about his performances. Still think he is probably one of the nicest kids, but I'm just not a fan of his music. I think this is partly about the style and more about the voice itself. We all have different tones that are pleasing to our ears. For whatever reason Jacob isn't it for me.

Casey is just too "something" for me. I haven't been able to figure out what that something is. I thought that he was interesting last night. I didn't find it displeasing, but I would not want to listen to him for more than one song at any given time. Can't argue that he's unique.

Stefano was better this week than last. There were moments that were really good.

Lauren looked much better this week. Yes, the eyes were still a bit much, however, at least she didn't look like she was a 40 year old trying to look 16. She looked like the teenager she is. I actually enjoyed the performance itself. I thought she did a really nice job on this song.

Haley has spunk and she has a good voice. I just think that she tries to be that growling, husky voiced vixen instead of just singing the song with lots of soul. I understand that all of that is a part of her style, however I think she does it to the point of overkill at times.

Paul wasn't totally horrendous as he always makes me smile. I just find that I also grimace at times. Love his smile though. Does that count?

James wasn't as bad as I expected. I did think that Mr. Guitar should have left the stage after the performance. James had made sure that he gave huge appreciation so really leaving the stage would have been the right thing to do. Oh well....

Not a terrible night. No train wrecks! I'm still waiting on goosebumps!

Completely agree about the band drowning out the singers... What boggles my mind is how they don't have that fixed by live show time... Anyone who has ever been part of a musical production with a live band should know that is one of the biggest issues to overcome... A good sound engineer and sound team can fix that... It ruins the whole performance to me when I can't hear the singer.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

+ Reply to Thread