+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: 4/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Idol Fan

Re: 4/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Wow, now that I've caught up on reading all the posts, how amazing that we really all do hear different things. How interesting!

My absolute favorite top 2 of the night were -

#1 - Jacob (07)and #2 - Stefano (03).

I'd also put Lauren A. right up there, a hair below Stefano.

I thought Jacob (07) was phenomenal! The absolute best by a long shot! What a spectacular voice! He looked so down and depressed and humbled by landing in the bottom last week, that I hope more voters agreed with me. What a phenomenal singer and sweet guy. The best here!

As for Stefano (03) - It was his best performance so far, and he did fantastic. I loved it! He really poured his passion into it and he succeeded. Loved it! Love his voice. He really outdid himself tonight and succeeded in showing how much he wants to stay and deserves to continue!

Lauren A. ((02) - did a terrific job and gave a wonderful performance and has continued to improve. Her voice and boots, no matter what else she wears, just shout "Country" to me, but I am really appreciating her voice lately and the emotion and control I see and feel her use. She strikes me as a junior-Carrie Underwood and I think she did wonderfully tonight. Great singing. I wondered if the "tears" and other mentions regarding her voice were really coming from the many back-up singers, even though Jen meant it as a compliment. I loved her vocals tonight. And oh yeah - while I normally can't stomach Miley C. or such accurately described 'Idol finale type song' - she did it better than most!

I thought Paul was atrocious tonight and killed that song. The vocals just weren't there at all. I enjoyed his energy and performance, but couldn't take the singing being so bad.

And one surprise for me was Scotty, who's so popular. First of all, he was the worst off-key tonight of anyone, which isn't at all like him. I can't stomach his facial expressions when he performs, and it's gotten worse. And I was utterly disgusted that the judges would rave over him after that performance. He really bombed, for the first time. I am no supporter of his, but I've always maintained he had real talent and his singing, itself, was top-notch, if you liked the oldest style Country, which I don't! But tonight he was bad - just off.

Haley was abominable. I hope she finally lands in the bottom and goes. UGH! Really bad. Terrible song choice.

For me, the real surprise was Casey, who I've never supported and never voted for nor ever liked. Well, tonight I was so impressed I did send him some votes! Shocker! His singing was perfectly, sliding into place, in key, subtle and really impressed me. He gave a very credible performance, if too low-key and unusual to have gained enough popularity at Idol. But I was with the judges on this one! I was glad he stuck to what he most felt he knew and loved doing. Love the upright bass. The only I don't and didn't like was his face and expressions. Still puts me off, what can you do? But I loved his singing tonight. He deserves more votes.

Which leads me to the final surprise: James D.! Though I've agreed he comes off, before this, as a kid rock star wannabe, I also happened to enjoy him and his performances and thought fairly well of his singing and loved his range, even if he didn't make it to Adam Lambert standards. However tonight, he truly impressed me I am no heavy metal fan. I loathe it and usually run out of a surprise encounter with it, with my fingers in my ears! lol.... But not only did he passionately know what was right for him, what he's most passionate about, but he went for it, full on and did a great job! No, he's not the best of the best as a singer; but he was truly terrific and it was amazing to see heavy metal on Idol, like that - even if true aficionados cavil at the authenticity and quality. I think he did a really terrific job. If it weren't for the voting time limits, and my passion for Jacob and Stefano, I would gladly have sent more votes his way....so I hope he has enough fans to stay. His bravery and abilities deserve it.

Hope we can send Hayley & Paul home before James and Casey and most especially fantastic Jacob ever have to worry about it! It was Scotty who deserved to land in the bottom 3 tonight, though I really doubt his fans will let that happen.

Jacob, Stefano, Lauren, Casey & James were the best tonight, in that order.

Hayley & Paul and Scotty were the worst tonight, imo.

I really hope that Stefano, Haley and especially Paul goes home

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    I really hope that Stefano, Haley and especially Paul goes home
    I am bored with this season and it because of the judging, for me. The final 12 can sing, so of course they are good. That is a no brainer so stop saying this every damn show. It is about their style creating entertainment.

I am not savvy when it comes to music. I listen to what I like and rarely notice slight pitch problems. I feel I am listening to the radio in my car and hearing people sing songs for an hour. This show used to be so much more than that.

April 13, 2011: The Top Eight

“Every New Beginning Comes From Some Other Beginning’s End”, Closing Time, Semisonic. Good Luck; Pia. Thank you. Love You.

1. James Durbin. Love Van Halen and Chickenfoot, Sammy Hagar is perfect for his voice, and it is authentic heavy metal, but I don’t like this song. I was hoping for AC/DC’s Hells Bells (Maximum Overdrive) or Metallica’s Master of Puppets (Old School), or Iron Maiden’s Number of the Beast (Murder by Numbers), but at this point, I’ll take whatever I can get. Idol hates hard rock. Always has. Always will. Adam Lambert, the best entertainer to set foot on the Idol stage, can rock with the best (his Whole Lotta Love had me cheering from start to finish), but rock is his guilty pleasure, not his home. In the ten year history of this show, I’ve seen one, just one, authentic rocker, Bo Bice. Whipping Post is the best rock performance ever on the Idol stage; with Whole Lotta Love a very close second. Bo Bice was unquestionably born with a rock and roll heart, as authentic as it gets. James is good at it, I love it, I’m easy, and I rarely get to hear it, so tonight's performance gets nothing but high praise, love, and appreciation from me. No devil horns just yet, but perhaps I will feel differently in time. I wonder though how the millions of newly recruited prodigal tween/text fan girls will respond to heavy metal. The genre is, always has been, about muscle, physicality, power vocals, guitar shredding, fraternity, and male bonding. Guess we’ll know the answer tomorrow. One last thing: Zakk Wylde is a fantastic guitarist and under-rated singer (thank you, producers); sounds eerily similar to Bruce Springsteen; e.g. In This River (Black Label Society) is a truly beautiful and emotional rock ballad. My only problem was Ryan Seacrest. He didn’t even ask Zakk about Limp Bizkit and Fred Durst. I’d give everything I own to hear Zakk's response to that question, in prime time.
    2. Scott McCreery. This was a beautiful performance; not as good as the original, but good nonetheless. I think he was right to change the song, but for reasons I doubt he’ll want to hear. I don’t think Scott is mature enough or sensitive enough for Nilsson’s Everybody’s Talkin at Me. It’s a beautiful song but not at all sure it would stay that way in Scott’s care, so I’m glad to steered clear of it. Plus, it’s the theme song from the Academy Award winning film, Midnight Cowboy, which explored an authentically adult sub-theme of a broke and bisexual young man who turns to prostitution to pay the rent, so the song is probably not a good fit for a charismatic young heart throb whose future is only now beginning. It’s callous to say, but commercially, Scott made the right choice. George Strait's Cross My Heart, although lyrically inferior, is equally beautiful, but also positive and romantic, so tailor-made for the legion of teen/tween girls that will surely form the nucleus of his music career.
    3. Casey Abrams. No doubt, he is an artist, and if asked will tell you so, and he is at home with the genre; it fits like a glove; but Casey encountered the same problem on this memorable and stylish jazz ballad as he did on Nirvana’s Smells like Teen Spirit; he doesn’t have the chops to do it justice. He was, however, one with his lyric tonight, all business, and I thank him for it. I’d rather the serious and passionate Casey, the one that caresses and nurtures his lyric than the playful and vaudevillian performer we see too often. He is a musician’s musician rather than a singer’s singer, but he can do the job, and on a show like Idol, that’s more than enough. Good Job, Casey.
    4. Jacob Lusk. Why didn’t you just do the Aretha Franklin version and be done with it? I don’t know if it’s better than the original but it’s certainly the best R&B version of this song. Jacob’s version was too pop; too starved of R&B, for me. Clay Aiken, a bona fide pop singer, nailed this song on the AI stage, a memorable performance that was certainly not matched here. Jacob is not a pop singer, and should stick to what he does best; what got him here. Did he learn nothing from last week? From Pia? Still, it was a good performance vocally; every note was spot on; delivered with honesty and genuine emotion. I just can't help but feel like the entire performance was somehow left undone and unexplored. The Jacob we’ve come to know never leaves a lyric untouched and attended, as he did here.
    5. Haley Reinhart. I do not like this song at all. Each time I hear it, I cover my ears. To her credit, Haley did what she could with it, but short of euthanasia and reincarnation, there’s no way to reinvent this screechy melody and mundane lyrics. It seems Haley wasn’t exactly overjoyed with her song selection either, so perhaps she chose it because she couldn't get anything better; maybe she was trapped by a theme. It happens. But I still like her and what she brings to the stage. I am stubborn and rigid about music, but also easy, she won me over two weeks ago, so I am hooked; and I look forward to her performances with great anticipation, so despite what happened here with Blondie, I am still a huge fan. Now that we know where the real power lies; e.g., in the hands of Idol’s newly recruited teen/tween young fan girls, let’s hope this uniquely unpredictable, fickle, and feverishly nimble-fingered young super group likes Haley as much as we do.
    6. Stefano Langone. Stefano has a problem and it needs fixing. He over-sings every romantic R&B ballad before him; way too much muscle. That's not how it's done, young squire. If only he could relax; stay away from the caffeine, settle into his lyric, and let the music breathe! He’s too busy; too animated; too high-strung; and too nervous. With respect, Stefano would probably benefit more from the advice, company, and mentorship of Marc Anthony than JLo. Marc’s already there; has been for years; one of the best romantic crooners alive; a Don Juan with the ladies. He’s no George Clooney but still managed to persuade the most beautiful woman in America to marry him. You never see Marc fidgeting and gesticulating aimlessly about the stage, rushing his lyric, or bullying a melody. Perhaps the remedy for Stefano’s bullrush stage persona and lack of confidence is as simple as a sit down heart-to-heart with Mark Anthony?
    7. Lauren Alaina. I'm not sure how much of what Jimmy said was complimentary. Lots of singers do it better than Miley Cyrus. Sorry, no disrespect to Miley. Not much wrong with this performance; there never is with Lauren. She's about as solid as they come. But, as I said before, I think there are those here who do it better. Also, I’ve heard this song done better so many times; it’s hard to praise the merely good. If you want to hear it done right, pull up Stan Walker’s (Australian Idol winner, 2009) brilliant version of this song. It is breath-taking and will send chills down your spine.
    8. Paul McDonald. A good kid; great guy, but all the yelling, screaming, horrible vocal technique, and a three note range, makes for a very difficult listen. There are songs tailor made for his voice but he doesn’t want them, and continues to tackle notes and runs he can’t possibly negotiate, and the result is nothing but noise. But the Idol landscape has changed, so perhaps the teenage, fairer sex will see things differently. For his sake, I hope they do.

Best Ever? Not in my opinion. Season Four had better talent. So did season eight. And the talent in seasons five and seven is still unmatched. This season is unique in that all contestants sing well and are evenly matched, but these contestants, as engaging and endearing as they are, are not the best ever. That’s simply not true.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 04-14-2011 at 05:36 AM.

Does anyone else think that Casey Abrams reminds them of Andy Kaufman? He was even wearing the Andy Kaufman uniform last night!

On another note, last night was a strange night. IMHO - Paul was totally forgettable (when they did recap at end of night, I had totally forgotten him), Lauren was fabulous, Scotty did not have his heart in that song and was off-key, Casey was horrible (such an affected performance), Haley was in way over her head with that song, Jacob needs to go back to gospel singing (I am over my love for him now), James is a true original - such talent, Stefano gave same cruise-boat worthy performance but better than usual. And judges need to get some backbone and stop the fawning and clapping and give them constructive criticism!! Ok, I'm done now...

"It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear." - Norm from Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost View Post
    [4. Jacob Lusk. Why didnít you just do the Aretha Franklin version and be done with it? I donít know if itís better than the original but itís certainly the best R&B version of this song.
    In my opinion, no one will EVER do it better than the original! Certainly not an R&B version with all the runs and screeching Aretha Franklin puts into a song. However, I thought this was one of Jacob's best performances to date. I still wasn't wild about it, but it wasn't as bad as I was anticipating. Why doesn't he just do a pure gospel song and be done with it? Everything about him screams gospel to me. I think he could kill it, and I think that's where his future lies, or should lie.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I had to run over to youtube and find Clay singing this, just to set my world right after Jacob's diva performance.
    Clay's version was very over the top if I remember correctly. I hated it, and I really liked Clay a lot. I thought Jacob was less diva than usual, but no where near close to the original. Nobody can do that song like Art Garfunkel, and it doesn't need to be over the top to be powerful.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL View Post
    Same here, Babbred. I thought his singing was superb, but not surprised that many didn't like the performance. Jazz is not everyone's cup of tea.
    Jazz is absolutely not my cup of tea, but Casey's was my favorite performance of the night. DH and I pretty much talked though everyone's performance, but got very quiet when Casey was peforming. I loved everything about it.

Scotty stunk it up....nuf said.

Lauren and Scotty for me, were the top 2 of the night. They both sang on key, sounded good.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

+ Reply to Thread