+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: 4/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Hmmm....some are saying Survivor is getting boring to them about now, and I'm feeling the same way about Idol now. Yes, many are good singers and entertaining enough, but the show pretty much bored me.

None of them changed my opinion about them tonight. Durbin does rock - I liked that song, though I can do without the screech at the end. Scotty did a good job and so did Lauren. Casey was interesting. I just don't care for Jacob's voice no matter what he sings or how well. Paul and Stephano are still there?? Haley did okay, not great - I don't like her growling. None are great, to me, and I miss the kind of season where I am really, really pulling for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I still like Casey, but that was the wrong song choice for this audience. And quit growling!
    For the first time tonight I actually thought his growls were not intentional stylistic choices, but that he was having a throat problem and needed to clear his throat. It was not his usual growl but like he needed to really clear his throat to continue....strange..... I did like the last part of the song, but felt the front side was weak.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    So true. James is like a little boy playing rock star in his bedroom. He tries, but...eh.

But, points for bringing Zakk Wylde out for this mess of a show.
    How cool was that? I rubbed my eyes during the performance and thought...wow, that dude really looks like Zakk Wylde. But, if they can book Iggy Pop, why not, I guess.

This was the most of Idol I've watched all season. If anyone but that country-singer kid wins, it's a joke. Dunno what those judges are using but it must be something like beer goggles for the ears. Casey defines "poser". Hey, I love new and different sounds, but I could name 3 bands off the top of my head that have it and Casey couldn't touch them. Haley...OMG, absolute worst cover of "Call Me" ever, except for the second season, I think, when some teenybopper similarily butchered it. If anyone ever deserved a Cowell tongue-lashing...well. The kid who got to perform with Zakk Wylde - I never liked Sammy Hagar much but that was a lousy enough cover to make me appreciate what a great vocalist Sammy is/was.

Sigh. So when does Simon's new show start, anyway?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    I hope Jacob goes home soon. I can't stand his overdramatic singing / shouting, and facial expressions.
    and his overdone warbling vibrato....it was so distracting this time. The last 3 notes was the only part I liked, Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady View Post
    My opinion: It was a good show -- no train wrecks -- but nothing that absolutely made me jump up out of my chair and say, "Wow!"

Even with Casey, I liked it more for the originality than because it was really great. As usual, another so-so night. The only one I truly liked was James, which is weird, because in past weeks his rocker act was really getting to me. Talk about topsy-turvy night.

And Jimmy is the guy who's supposed to make Pia a star? After another night of performances like this? I'm sorry, but I'm just not getting why this guy is supposed to be so great. He lets everybody cruise along doing the same old schtick week after week, and in the case of the girls, getting eliminated. Then when somebody dares to want to do something different and out of the mainstream, they have rude remarks made about them. People are perfectly free to not like Casey, and even not vote for him, but he should be able to live or die by what he wants to sing, not by being forced to sing the same old mainstream pop songs that everybody else does on Idol.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

My bottom 3; Casey, Haley and Paul. I think Casey will be safe but I'm undecided on which one of the other two will go home.

I enjoyed Jacob, James and Casey the most this evening. I could care less about the judges opinions. I vote strictly on the vocals.

I can only hope Hailey or Stephano go home. I am sure I will be wrong because the voting tends to be about everything but the singing on this show.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

This is the first night I've seen all the performances.
    Hated Paul. I enjoy all the energy he has - he does try to perform - but, for me, that was the worst rendition of that song ever. I've heard local bar bands do it better.
    Lauren - I am so not a fan of Miley, but I did enjoy Lauren's singing. Not great, but she has a nice voice.
    Haley - sorry, but that was a really pale imitation of Blondie. Too screechy and way too growly.
    Stefano seemed to try a lot harder tonight. I do agree it was his best performance, but I still think he's a lounge or wedding singer.
    Jacob didn't seem to pose as much as usual. He does have a really good voice. I'd just like him to rein it in a bit.
    I really like rock and HM, but I did not like that performance of James' at all. I just kept thinking how much better Adam Lambert would have done it.
    Scotty - In prior weeks, I thought he was a pretty good country singer. Did not enjoy him tonight, though. And, while he may be good, he's just not memorable for me, at all.
    Have to say that I do love when someone tries to take a risk with a song. It sets them apart. And, jazz is one of my all time favorite genres. But, to take Nat King Cole and destroy that song like Casey did, was just unforgivable to me. Casey - you are not in the same league with Esperanza Spalding.
    Between his butchering of Nirvana and, now, Nat King Cole, I'd really like this guy to exit real soon. Between the posing, the scary faces he makes and the horrible off key singing, I felt like I needed a shower.
    When I remember performances because I hated them so much, that's not a good sign.
    For 18 million and 12 million, respectively, one would think Steven and JLo could dole out some criticism, for a change.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I thought everyone did a respectable job tonight. Nobody made me cringe. Even Jacob, who always makes me want to stab my eardrums.

My favorites were Stefano (this was his best night and the first time I thought he connected with the audience), James (I love most genre's and went to my fair share of heavy metal concerts in my youth), and Lauren. I'm so not a fan of Miley but I actually like the song The Climb. The message is beautiful.

I'm mad because Cross My Heart is one of my favorite songs and Scotty didn't do it justice. Normally I enjoy his voice but not tonight.

Casey....I don't listen to much jazz but I really thought he did a good job. My husband hated it, though. He might be in the bottom three (instead of my pick, Scotty).

Bottom three for me is Jacob and Paul (hate to say that) and maybe Scotty.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Tonight was all over the place.

Paul - was just meh tonight. Not a big Bob Seeger fan either really.

Lauren - Miley is just so over done ugh. But she still sounded good.

Stefano - I liked his performance tonight. I love Boys to Men too. He did well considering that song has so much 4 part harmony to it.

Casey - wow did I think he was going to bomb tonight. Started out rough for me, but I was enjoying it at the end.

Haley - not good tonight at all. I think the song was way too big for her voice.

Scotty - wasn't feeling the song at all tonight. I'm a Scotty fan, but he just did not bring it tonight.

Jacob - I am not a Jacob fan but I found myself really enjoying him tonight. Fantastic song choice.

James - saved the best for last! James just amazes me every single week. He is the one contestant that I can't wait to see what he does each week. I loved how he stood up to Jimmy (producers do not always know best) and stuck to his guns and stayed true to his heart. Great performance!

I'm going to guess Haley as the one going home. Paul and possibly Jacob joining her in the bottom three.

+ Reply to Thread