+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: 4/7 Results Show *Spoilers*

Re: 4/7 Results Show *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    In other matters, it's nine years later, and people are still debating whether Ruben really won. He won, period. Millions of people voted for him, and I was won of them (many, many times ). It would have been a legal, criminal matter for the producers if they had lied about his win.
    You were lucky to get through many, many times. We had 3 phones going for the whole 2 hours after the finale and never once got through for Clay.
    But like you said, that was 8 years ago and I couldn't give a crap anymore. I was merely pointing out that I will never be convinced that the producers are not "in" on the results and/or manipulate things in "their" favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna View Post
    I've said the same thing every week...giant hair..tons of make-up..and old looking clothes...in fact most 30 yr olds dress much younger than Lauren. Looks like she's aiming for about a 50 yr old look....I do give her credit for maybe taking out some of her hair extensions...which is some improvement. Her voice is great, just cant understand why someone so cute would want to look so prematurely aged. Maybe a stylist could give her a hand.

OH Iggy...didnt know what was happening! ! ! it was so gross to see that skinny old shirtless guy with hanging skin....that hurt my eyes
    About Lauren - haven't you seen her mama? They look and dress more like sisters than mother/daughter. She does need some better fashion advice than from Gwen Stefani....who looks great for Gwen Stefani, but not necessarily a great look for these girls.

I don't care what kind of legend Iggy Poop is....the second they have to bleep the lyrics is the second they should be yanked from the stage. And he was bleeped many times. Keep your filthy mouths (Steven Tyler!!) off my tv and off that stage. There were kids in the audience!! Disgusting!
    Last edited by french dip; 04-08-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL View Post
    Except that I do recall that Simon was basically calling in favors from other artists (Bono) and PERSONALLY coaching one Adam Lambert a couple of years ago. basically insisting that Adam was the best thing since sliced bread - yet he didn't win.
    He's better than sliced bread, more like a fine croissant! Simon knows talent when he sees it, it's the people who vote that are the problem. No one this season will really have much success in the music business right away except Scotty because of the loyal country music fans, he's not the best but they will buy the CD even if every song sounds the same.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL View Post
    I think Lauren will. And I think Haley is ridiculously talented, but won't be surprised it she doesn't make Top 5.
    I actually see Lauren in the top 3 with Scotty and James.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    When did the judges ever give constructive criticism? I actually hear more helpful advice this season, Usually from Jennifer Lopez. Yes, there's a lot of you were wonderful, but there's also, you should do this, this, or this.

Is it really better if the judge's don't cloud our judgement with their criticism? Isn't it better to let the viewers decide than trying to lead our votes for their chosen one?
    I wouldn't have a problem with that except for that they gush even when it's a mediocre performance. The suggestions are few and far between. It seems that the judges were on Pia's case for what she sang while not pointing out the same thing in Scotty or James. I do think Pia leaving was in part because of the judging this season. I'm not saying I miss Simon because I don't but at least he'd make sure we knew who was a frontrunner and who was on their last legs. This season it's hard to tell although I thought for sure Pia would be f2 along with Scotty.

I just wish they would have revamped the voting along with the judging panel. It will never happen but think they should get rid of unlimited voting/texting and limit like DWTS. It works quite well and most people don't have the time to power vote anymore. I'd love to see who would have won the last few seasons if they did limit votes. I'm nervous that a girl will never win the way things are now.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost View Post
    Race, Gender, Youth, and Voting Trends (Inside The Numbers)

Not sure this will explain how and why Pia lost, but it should at least provide useful information about the AI demographic, why it votes the way it does, and why theories about sexism and racism are unfounded.

1. The AI viewing audience is 55% female, and growing, so they pretty much decide who stays and who leaves, but I am simply not buying popular logic that female contestants are unfairly treated by female viewers. Kelly Clarkson won. Jordan Sparks won. Carrie Underwood won. Fantasia Barino won. None of that happened without widespread support from female viewers. How can anyone look objectively at those numbers; four female winners in nine years, and scream sexism? I think what happened here is much simpler than that. Women prefer listening to, looking at, and interacting with men more. That’s human nature. If the situation was reversed; e.g., 55% men, I guarantee more male contestants would be home already, and more females would still be contending. I still believe that AI viewers are basically fair, and while women may prefer the company of men in the early rounds, for eye candy, their final votes are usually reserved for the best singer, regardless of gender.

2. The United States demographic is approximately 13% African American, 16% Hispanic/Latino, and 72% White, according to the 2010 Census. Despite these numbers, three of the nine AI winners are African American: Reuben Studdard, Fantasia Barino, and Jordin Sparks. So I’m not prepared to buy into the Elton John theory that Idol viewers are racists either. All three received massive support from White viewers. I don’t believe for a second that Pia got voted off because of race. Just don’t believe it.

3. AI is trying desperately to turn back the clock, and it’s all out to do just that. The last report I saw from Horizon Media (2009) reported 13.5 million viewers between the ages of 35-64, with a median age of 44. Teen viewers numbered approximately 7.2 million; a number that used to reach 8.2 million in the early days. The coveted 18-49 group numbered 11 million; a number that used to average 14.8 million in the early years. The average age of all Idol viewers is 44, but used to be a much younger 31, in the early days. Worse, fewer teens are watching. That’s why Idol continues to lower the qualifying age; to entice the return of teens and young adults. Idol Sponsors are not interested in the middle-aged and elderly; they want the 18-49 viewers; those energetic spenders and shoppers. If Idol is successful in energizing teen and young adults, it will become an even bigger behemoth than it is already, because these viewers will one day join that coveted 18-49 demographic, help Idol secure that #1 rating, so it can raise advertising rates, and make even more money. But this can’t happen without the return of teens and young adults.

How does all this relate to Pia? I haven’t seen the numbers this year, but perhaps the AI Youth Movement is succeeding; perhaps teens and young adults are returning? If so, then statistically 55% of them are female. Very few of these votes will benefit someone like Pia Toscano. This group is far more likely to vote for boys than girls, especially boys their age (Scott). When they vote for girls, these too will go to someone their age (Lauren, Haley). This is typical teenage behavior. They’re young and haven’t yet perfected the art of fair play and objectivity. And you know what? There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. They have every right to vote for whomever they chose for whatever reason they chose, even if we disagree with them; and even if their participation played a part (just a theory) in sending home someone many believe (I am one) to be more talented. Pia’s dismissal is very disappointing for me, but I’ll get over it; especially if my theory is correct; e.g., that prodigal teens and young adult have come home to Idol. Their return is the best thing that could happen to American Idol.
    1. You are using outdated data. Jordin won 4 years ago. The viewer demographic has changed a lot since then. It has been well-documented. And there is certainly a correlation with the decline of female and minority contestants and the demographic switch. Also, viewers does not translate into voters. Just because you watch, doesn't mean you vote. If 55% of the viewers are women,that says nothing about the percentage of voters who are women.

2. Again, the data is old. Also, the population from the census doesn't really matter since they don't represent the backgrounds of the contestants on this show. Historically, the final group has had more that 13% representation by blacks. But more recently (the past 3 seasons), few have been voted in to the final group. Only one black person (Jacob) was voted in this year. That is one out of 5. Last year, 2 out of 5 made it. Jordin's season, 5 out of 7 made it. That isn't enough data to prove anything but it does support the perceived trend. All that said, I certainly don't think the older idol viewers are racist. As the younger fans abandon the show, biases are being exposed. It all falls in line with the cougar trend to me. Anyway, why would race affect Pia's situation? She's white. Italian is white. Unless she's something other than Italian too.

3. The numbers show that the audience is aging. There is no reason to blame the results on kids. From what I have seen, a lot of kids liked Pia. A lot of kids liked Adam Lambert and Bowersox too. Regardless of the effort the producers have put into making the show appealing to teens, the audience is old. I think adults are to blame.

'American Idol' Ratings Dip but Still Power Fox to Win

The Top 9 elimination night in which Pia Toscano was sent home was watched by 20 million

The American Idol Top 9 results show -- in which fan favorite Pia Toscano was surprisingly sent home -- easily won Fox the night Thursday. The show was down 10 percent from last Thursday (6.1, 20.6 million viewers), but the network expects numbers to inch up due to the two-minute overrun.
    American Idol; Ratings Dip but Still Power Fox to Win - Hollywood Reporter

Update: They were down 5% from last week.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by albean99 View Post
    I'm not saying I miss Simon because I don't but at least he'd make sure we knew who was a frontrunner and who was on their last legs.

I am not sure I follow you. Why would the voting public need Simon to tell us who is the frontrunner and who was fading? That is the voting public's choice . They would be telling Simon who the frontrunner is. There were people, and may be those are the people you are talking about ,who relied on SImon to tell them their vote.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe View Post

3. The numbers show that the audience is aging. There is no reason to blame the results on kids. From what I have seen, a lot of kids liked Pia. A lot of kids liked Adam Lambert and Bowersox too. Regardless of the effort the producers have put into making the show appealing to teens, the audience is old. I think adults are to blame.
    Great point. I work in a high school, and you wouldn't believe the adoration I saw for Adam among the girls during his season. Didn't matter that everybody was saying that he was probably gay, they were still crushing on him and raving about his music. That just lends credence to the cougar vote theory. I could totally see them voting for the much cuter Kris (not to mention Lee over that "weird girl").
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by french dip View Post
    I actually see Lauren in the top 3 with Scotty and James.
    They are the three who have never been in the bottom three.

+ Reply to Thread