+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: 4/7 Results Show *Spoilers*

Re: 4/7 Results Show *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty View Post
    I said in my post that the people who voted for her, voted for her because she sang ballads not that she had legions of fans and it's a fact that when she sang ballads she was never in the bottom 3 and the week she didn't sing a ballad she went home. It may just be coincidence but I don't think so.

James and Scotty are Dudes. Dudes on this show can sing whatever they want and their fans will still vote like crazy for them but a woman on this show has to hold on to as many voters as she can and I'm afraid that someone like Pia singing a uptempo song doesn't inspire her type of fans to pick up the phone and dial like crazy.
    Still don't agree, but we are each entitled to our opinions. I don't think her uptempo sounded any different than her ballads, and if you like her singing ballads, you should have liked her singing that too. Also, if you want her to stay on the show, you have to vote. I don't vote much, so I can't complain if my favorite gets booted off.

Which brings up an interesting question. How many people vote for a favorite regardless of how they do on any given week, and how many vote for the contestant who they perceive has having done the best that week?

And no, I don't believe dude's can't sing anything they want and still get tons of votes (unless they already have the fanbase). Otherwise it would have been the 3 girls in the bottom instead of Stefano and Jacob.

I think all this girls can't win conspircy is not an accuate assessment. The right girls can win, they just aren't putting through girls who strike a chord with the voting public.

I personally preferred Thia, would rather Thia had stayed around, I liked her tone better than the screech that Pia had in her voice, but the voting public didn't agree.

The bottom line is, does it really matter who gets booted off when? They're all going on the tour. And if they really do have what it takes, they'll go on to some kind of career in the music industry.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    Some thoughts...

-They need to stop dressing Lauren like she is in her 30's. What happened to youthful, age-appropriate, natural make-up? Could they possibly cake anymore onto her face? She's a pretty girl- let it show!
    I've said the same thing every week...giant hair..tons of make-up..and old looking clothes...in fact most 30 yr olds dress much younger than Lauren. Looks like she's aiming for about a 50 yr old look....I do give her credit for maybe taking out some of her hair extensions...which is some improvement. Her voice is great, just cant understand why someone so cute would want to look so prematurely aged. Maybe a stylist could give her a hand.

OH Iggy...didnt know what was happening! ! ! it was so gross to see that skinny old shirtless guy with hanging skin....that hurt my eyes
    Last edited by Vonna; 04-08-2011 at 03:45 PM.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by melrose place View Post
    Seems to me Pia has a great voice, is pretty, but not as much charisma or backstory as some of the other contestants. In fact, and please do not skewer me for saying this, she may have come across to the audience as a little cold and arrogant. I caught her nodding yes when she got such good reviews from the judges. Sometimes people are swayed by interesting personalities. James appeals to me because I like his choices and voice, and I also think it is wonderful that he can do this and have Asperger's and Tourette's.
    Well, I wondered where the other half of my brain was today. I see I'm sharing with you. At least I was when you posted this. This is exactly what I felt/saw in regards to Pia. To my ear, it also seemed that there were some notes that just weren't quite where they were intended. Of course, that happens with most of them at times.

In line with the discussion in this thread, I'll post a funny excerpt from The Washington Post review of last night's show. I don't necessarily agree with Lisa de Moraes's assessment of the voters, but she cracks me up :

Regarding Pia's loss: "....JLo says she’s shocked and angry. Randy says he’s mad. Do they not watch this show? Here’s how it works: they start off the season with the same number of chicks and guys. The chicks get eliminated and then the safest, cutest, most pet-able guy is named American Idol, and the tweener girls and the middle aged women who voted him there, all celebrate and do not buy his music."

For rest of article, click on this link:

‘American Idol’ 2011: Pia Toscano sent home - The TV Column - The Washington Post
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-08-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Regular

In re: to there not being a front runner--well, IMHO this season there isn't anyone who is really bad. Countless times in the past I've squirmed and flinched when singers were off-key numerous times in a song or forgot the words. But this season's singers are really good.

Okay, I was a fan of Jacob until he get all sanctimonious with "if I lose it's because y'all are bad people." I'll never vote for him.

My favorite? James. Not because he's cute (sorta) or sympathetic (really) but because the boy can sing. I'm a middle aged mom and I just like the fact that somebody has a rock and roll voice.

FORT Fogey

I agree with you. In the past, the 2-3 potential winners were evident and everybody else ( except for a surprise) was cannon fodder. The contestants were selected with that in mind. This year, the selection process was more interesting ( although there were still too many back stories)

Quote Originally Posted by mize77 View Post
    In re: to there not being a front runner--well, IMHO this season there isn't anyone who is really bad. Countless times in the past I've squirmed and flinched when singers were off-key numerous times in a song or forgot the words. But this season's singers are really good.
    My favorite? James. Not because he's cute (sorta) or sympathetic (really) but because the boy can sing. I'm a middle aged mom and I just like the fact that somebody has a rock and roll voice.
    I agree that all of the singers are good, so anyone could leave at anytime. There is no real cannon fodder this year.

I can't get into James though. He has a great voice, but whenever I see him perform, I always feel like I'm watching a rock musical on Broadway, not a real rock artist.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

I think he's been performing as he thinks the stereotypical rocker would. The headband when we first met him was a la Brett Michaels. Thanks god that is gone, but he was still hanging on to the image rather than reality. However, what he did with the Harrison song leads me to believe that he is starting to shift to the real James. I hope so because he has a lot to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    I can't get into James though. He has a great voice, but whenever I see him perform, I always feel like I'm watching a rock musical on Broadway, not a real rock artist.
    That's how I felt about Adam Lambert, everything was staged. I don't see that with James.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by mnmhughes View Post
    Since so many of us are commenting on the judges, I wanted to add this. Steven Tyler lecturing America about how a "lack of passion is inexcusable"? Excuse me -- aren't you the same guy who sits there, half asleep during every show? Don't rebuke us about a lack of passion, sir! If you really care, then sit up, show some interest, and offer something constructive!
    Hmmm. I perceived that to be a spot on comment about Pia ... not the audience. I think his comments may be a lot less shallow than we see them and he may be more awake than he let's on. I think we may have to read between the lines to "get" some of his comments.

For example, on the performance show he said something ... loosely paraphrased here ... about how guys across America were sitting in bars and drinking watching Pia. Doesn't that almost translate to something close to a Simon snide remark about cruise ships or Karaoke? Similarly, perhaps he was saying that her lack of passion is what the voting audience did not excuse.
    Last edited by echo226; 04-08-2011 at 04:38 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread