+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: 4/7 Results Show *Spoilers*

Re: 4/7 Results Show *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    There is a new show that starts tonight (4/8/11) on CMT called CMT Next Superstar. The show is produced by Nigel Lythgoe & his son Simon. Ten contestants compete in various challenges, one is eliminated each week.

Two of the contestants on this show made it to Hollywood Week this year on American Idol --Steven Clawson and Adrienne Beasley.
    One contestant was on Nashville Star -- Matt Mason. Steven Clawson made it to the semi-finals of NS one season, but did not make the show.

The house band for CMT Next Superstar is the group "Sixwire". They came in second on the show The Next Great American Band, and were the house band for the CMT show Can You Duet. Several members of Sixwire were also members of the Nashville Star house band.

I loved Nashville Star, so I am really looking forward to this show .

Here is the link to the website with more info about the show:
    CMT.com : CMT's Next Superstar : Shows Main
    I miss NS!!! I'll have to set my DVR for this new show....
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by KareyR2 View Post
    And Iggypop??? WHO HUH??? Pia commands the stage with her incredible voice, she does not have to strut around and posture half naked, or growl, or scream. Her voice is magic, and she is the best ever for me. How sickening what took place tonight!!!
    I have to respond - Iggy Pop and Pia don't belong in the same sentence, never mind the same TV show. I dunno who booked Iggy but they have a helluva sense of humour. Seriously, though, Iggy is a punk legend - he's had a couple mainstream hits but he's a god in the punk world. The Stooges...well, maybe it's just for music geeks but they are heralded as the godfathers of their genre.

Pia, on the other hand, is a very pretty girl with a nice voice on a reality show. Now I haven't seen much of her singing but she certainly does seem like an ideal total package. For whatever reason, she didn't capture the AI voting public's fancy, but that certainly doesn't mean she has no future in the business. I thought she seemed more talented than the other girls remaining in the competition.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Do you think there is any chance the show will come forward and say that there was a voting malfuncition with their equipment and throw out those results?
    It's the first thing that has happened on AI 10 that has people talking ..... good for ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I have to respond - Iggy Pop and Pia don't belong in the same sentence, never mind the same TV show. I dunno who booked Iggy but they have a helluva sense of humour. Seriously, though, Iggy is a punk legend - he's had a couple mainstream hits but he's a god in the punk world. The Stooges...well, maybe it's just for music geeks but they are heralded as the godfathers of their genre.

I know some people have been putting him down, I was more shocked Iggy, the Iggy, would be on a cheesefest like AI (and I watch it religiously) but he is a legend in the punk rock world. If you look at some of the songs he has written for himself and for others... its pretty amazing.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I've seen / heard so many comments about Pia being ousted because of all the tween girls who vote only for guys.
    Yet, AI has been consistently skewering upward agewise - average age is now mid 40's. Also, we've had several female winners through the years, so that should dispel the notion that only tween girls control all the voting and that they only vote for guys.
    In additiion, it's been suggested that Pia was a balladeer and a very pretty woman - allegedly, 2 attributes that would spell her doom on a show such as this. I think that's inane, too. AI had Katherine McPhee as runner up to Taylor Hicks. Katherine was also a balladeer and, IMO, much more beautiful than Pia. Yet, Katherine changed up the songs and she managed to connect with both the songs and the audience.
    So, the notion of Pia having too great a voice and being too pretty should, once again, be dispelled. At the end of the night, I could not remember any of the songs she sang - and that's the kiss of death for a performer, male or female, on this show.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fanatic

Just have to say that I have watched AI from the first season. I believe the voting was a little more under control back then. Today, with much of
    the voting coming from computers programmed to mega vote for a contestant and many other forms of voting now that we didn't have at the
    beginning season, the show has become meaningless. The best contestant no longer wins. Until the producers decide to develop a more fair
    and accurate form of voting, the show will no longer produce 'winners' but will become the show that likes to let the viewers know how many
    millions of votes came in. If the result they want is to have the most votes coming in each week (for ratings) then AI is a winner. If the result
    they want is to produce a 'winner', then AI loses big time. What a shame. The show used to be such fun to watch because every contestant was on
    equal footing where votes were concerned. Let's go back to the old way of voting without all the power voting being allowed.

I'm not saying this because Pia was voted off. I just think the show needs to make some changes in order to make things fair and the show more
    enjoyable, again.

FORT Newbie

Pia sang the ballads...plain and simple...

they suggested she break away from the ballads one week and what does she do the next...Sing another ballad!!

When she had the solos in the group numbers, she was weak or given the high running note.

Even though I am glad she's gone, did she deserve to be gone this early? No, probably not. I can think of a few that deserve it more

Some of you are saying a girl can't win. IMO...the right girl can! Who's mainstream right now...females...Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Rhianna, Kesha, and im sure there are a few moe....

I myself would love to see a country finale!

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I agree. And I miss Simon. He added a much needed perspective.
    I don't think he added persepctive, I think he added nasty snarkiness just for the heck of it. I didn't realize how much life he sucked out of this show until this season with him gone. I liked him, but I don't miss him.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Seems to me Pia has a great voice, is pretty, but not as much charisma or backstory as some of the other contestants. In fact, and please do not skewer me for saying this, she may have come across to the audience as a little cold and arrogant. I caught her nodding yes when she got such good reviews from the judges. Sometimes people are swayed by interesting personalities. James appeals to me because I like his choices and voice, and I also think it is wonderful that he can do this and have Asperger's and Tourette's.

Quote Originally Posted by melrose place View Post
    Sometimes people are swayed by interesting personalities. James appeals to me because I like his choices and voice, and I also think it is wonderful that he can do this and have Asperger's and Tourette's.
    Very true. An entertainer is the whole package and sometimes that personality makes you take a better listen to the person. And just like an actor, some singers can make you believe in a song while others not so much.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread