+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: 4/7 Results Show *Spoilers*

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Re: 4/7 Results Show *Spoilers*

IMO, besides not being much of a performer, Pia chose poor songs. There are many other songs she could have done. She could have done an Aretha song, such as Until You Come Back to Me, Bonnie Raittís Something to Talk About or Joni Mitchellís Help Me. The latter isnít really lively, but I wouldnít call it a ballad. The first two are well-liked, and I think would have gone a long way in engaging people.

In real estate, itís location, location, location. In AI, itís song choice, song choice, song choice. Of course, itís more than location with real estate, and itís more than song choice with AI. Gender, appearance, personality and presentation go a long way too. But if youíre lacking in anything, picking the right song makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I agree. And I miss Simon. He added a much needed perspective.
    I saw Simon on Piers Morgan this week. He said that AI this year is better than last year. He said that the show was now what the producers had wanted. He ruined their image of what the show should be. He's doing his new show the way he wants.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    ... And I miss Simon...
    Simon!

I think Simon was referring to the judges' chemistry. This year it's good, last year it was terrible with the four judges.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

I really like a site called whatnottosing.com. It compiles AI reviews across the internet and gives ratings to each of the performances. So far, for this week's show, Pia's numbers are well ahead of everyone else's. She got an 84 (out of 100). The next highest is Scotty with 72. Stefano is scraping the bottom with a 35.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    IMO, besides not being much of a performer, Pia chose poor songs. There are many other songs she could have done. She could have done an Aretha song, such as Until You Come Back to Me, Bonnie Raittís Something to Talk About or Joni Mitchellís Help Me. The latter isnít really lively, but I wouldnít call it a ballad. The first two are well-liked, and I think would have gone a long way in engaging people.
    Those are great songs, but they require subtle emotion to perform. Pia was so adamant about singing songs with glory notes, that I don't think she would ever have chosen those.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    Interesting story on the comcast homepage regarding after the cameras stopped rolling last night. I guess, Pia really broke down and had to be helped off the stage ---one of the men was the doctor who must be on site...the one that helped Casey.
    Yeah, I heard her sobbing over the stage microphone while Jacob was holding her at the end.
    Her face was hidden, so I think she just let go. It's a rough experience to lose for anyone.
    --
    ---
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-08-2011 at 12:56 PM.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Do you think there is any chance the show will come forward and say that there was a voting malfuncition with their equipment and throw out those results?
    Why would you ask that? I can't fathom there being a chance of this.

On another note, all the talk of the tween girls really made me ponder whether that might be part of the issue, but my personal opinion is no. I think they are probably voting for the guys more heavily than girls, but I think that is a function of there not really being a female on the show whose style appeals to that "voting heavy" demographic. Pia's power ballads certainly wouldn't typically appeal to the tween girls. I honestly think it is about the people and talent. Tweens would have to feel some connection to the music and the artist. I would think that of the girls Lauren and Haley would be much more likely to draw the tween vote.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    Those are great songs, but they require subtle emotion to perform. Pia was so adamant about singing songs with glory notes, that I don't think she would ever have chosen those.
    --
    I compare her in a lot of ways to Season 3's LaToya London who also had a similar selection of songs except for 2 things:

1. When LaToya sang "All By Myself" she tore it up & connected in a way Pia couldn't despite having as powerful a voice (that subtle emotion you are talking about)

2. When Simon criticized LaToya for being too old-fashioned & boring she responded with a super fast-paced song Garth Brooks "Ain't Goin' Down Til' The Sun Comes Up" for Top 11 that had Simon clapping along. When Randy warned Pia she did not adjust & it eventually caught up with her (though a lil' sooner than I thought).

Pia was planning to sing another song that LaToya did great with next week, "Somewhere" from West Side Story
    Last edited by VoiceOfReason; 04-08-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LalahLand View Post
    Same here. And I wonder what Simon's new show will be about? Are any other singing shows starting this month/year?
    There is a new show that starts tonight (4/8/11) on CMT called CMT Next Superstar. The show is produced by Nigel Lythgoe & his son Simon. Ten contestants compete in various challenges, one is eliminated each week.

Two of the contestants on this show made it to Hollywood Week this year on American Idol --Steven Clawson and Adrienne Beasley.
    One contestant was on Nashville Star -- Matt Mason. Steven Clawson made it to the semi-finals of NS one season, but did not make the show.

The house band for CMT Next Superstar is the group "Sixwire". They came in second on the show The Next Great American Band, and were the house band for the CMT show Can You Duet. Several members of Sixwire were also members of the Nashville Star house band.

I loved Nashville Star, so I am really looking forward to this show .

Here is the link to the website with more info about the show:
    CMT.com : CMT's Next Superstar : Shows Main

+ Reply to Thread