+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: 4/6 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/6 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Whether one liked it or didn't, Simon's comments were indicative of the real entertainment world.
    Yes, he was harsh, but sometimes you have to be.
    If it were so easy to break into the business, we would not have shows like this.
    ST's comments and Jlo's aren't helping these kids, at all.
    I love ST, but he sits there week after week, bored beyond tears, with eyelids barely open. Then, when prodded, he'll make comments like he did to Pia.
    Which did abolutely nothing to help....just made her feel like, "gee, I'm a pretty girl and, due to that, all these guys will vote for me." Not.
    One doesn't need to be overly mean spirited but, if you want to get a message across, sometimes you need to just tell it to the contestant. If they're right for the music business, which is an extremely rough business, they'll heed it.
    These kids are not in kindergarten. They need to get some real life lessons about the business.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

To the Point

Well, as I've stated in this thread, or somewhere else today, I'll just have to agree to disagree. My issue in a nutshell is that Simon was meanspirited. He crossed the line more often than not and he seldom, if ever, gave anything that actually explained what was wrong with the perfomance or why it fell flat, nothing with which they might improve. I really hope that I can resist the lure of commenting anymore beyond this post because I find myself falling into posting in the very manner that annoys the heck out of me, which is repeating myself in every post.

So, one last time, I agree, they could use more critiques and less false/hollow praise. I just don't miss the hatefulness that was Simon's role.
    Last edited by NCLurker; 04-08-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    Thanks RedSox Girl for "getting it". The critiques are understated as there is NO reason to insult powerless kids on national TV. We have seen indications that voice issues are being worked on. Appearance issues are being dealt with. The judges don't have to hit them, in the face with the issues they see. The producers are giving these kids some really important help behind the scenes and everybody is improving every week.
    Thank you. All of your points are well thought out.

We live in a world in which being respectful and honest is equated with babysitting someone. That's very disheartening. I think Simon's over the top meaness and the acceptability of his behavior is a reflection of this.
    Anyhow , glad he's not there anymore. He was a distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    Well, as I've stated in this thread, or somewhere else today, I'll just have to agree to disagree. My issue in a nutshell is that Simon was meanspirited. He crossed the line more often than not and he seldom, if ever, gave anything that actually explained what was wrong with the perfomance or why it fell flat, nothing with which they might improve. I really hope that I can resist the lure of commenting anymore beyond this post because I find myself falling into posting in the very manner that annoys the heck out of me, which is repeating myself in every post.

So, one last time, I agree, they could use more critiques and less false/hollow praise. I just don't miss the hatefulness that was Simon's role.
    Just wanted to say I agree with everything you've said-it's so well stated and locical. You've said everything I've been feeling about this situation, so thank you.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-08-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    "Remember, sometimes your`buddy' isn't really your `buddy'." - Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I miss Simon, he would have guided Pia, what Tyler said was useless.Pia, in a million bars a million guys are having a million drinks, that helped her out how?
    I guess I don't recall Simon being specific in his `positive' or `negative' comments. Lots of generic stuff tossed into a salad of insults. But, that's just me.

I missed the comment attributed to Steven. I agree, It doesn't sound helpful. To be fair, he is new at this and I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt for now as I'm enjoying the infectiousness of his enthusiasm.

Again, having Jimmy Iovine doing the heavy lifting in terms of guidance is an amazing coup. I find him to be honest without being cruel. He is guiding and teaching. I appreciate that level of professionalism. Anyone can make a snide comment, but not everyone can try to teach someone how to improve through specific points. Iovine does that.
    "Remember, sometimes your`buddy' isn't really your `buddy'." - Donny

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Nah...Simon's bluntness wasn't bullying. It was what it was--just him being blunt.
    Both Adam lambert and Jennifer Hudson have said( sorry to repeat) that they liked Simon, they told them to up their game , and they did. Hudson herself said, that when she got into the real world, away from the AI machine, it was very tough and cruel, much like Simon had said it would be

Tyler is useless, and as much as I love J'lo she hasn't helped them at all, OTOH her hubby would indeed be helpful

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    I guess I don't recall Simon being specific in his `positive' or `negative' comments. Lots of generic stuff tossed into a salad of insults. But, that's just me.
    I don't think Simon ever gave constructive criticism to anyone. When Ryan would call him on a comment, ask what the contestant could do better, Simon would shrug and say "Sing better." I like Simon, but I don't miss him. I thought I would, but I don't. This season its more about the contestants than the judges and that was one thing I had grown to hate about Idol, the judges making it all about them.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I don't think Simon ever gave constructive criticism to anyone. When Ryan would call him on a comment, ask what the contestant could do better, Simon would shrug and say "Sing better." I like Simon, but I don't miss him. I thought I would, but I don't. This season its more about the contestants than the judges and that was one thing I had grown to hate about Idol, the judges making it all about them.
    Most of the time, Simon was snide. Unfortunately, many people enjoyed Simon's snide remarks at another person's expense - remarks which didn't help because they weren't specific but did hurt. It was ok to laugh and enjoy the snide remarks because they weren't aimed at the one who was laughing.

I never understood how remarks such as "sing better", "up your game", and "make better song choices," could be in truth be considered constructive criticism.

It is very clear that you can tell someone to do something, but if that person doesn't know how, you are wasting your breath.
    How does that person go about singing better? What can he do to sing better?

How can he or she up his/her game? What kinds of things can he or she incorporate that might up the game?

What type songs would be better choices?
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    Most of the time, Simon was snide. Unfortunately, many people enjoyed Simon's snide remarks at another person's expense - remarks which didn't help because they weren't specific but did hurt. It was ok to laugh and enjoy the snide remarks because they weren't aimed at the one who was laughing.

I never understood how remarks such as "sing better", "up your game", and "make better song choices," could be in truth be considered constructive criticism.

It is very clear that you can tell someone to do something, but if that person doesn't know how, you are wasting your breath.
    How does that person go about singing better? What can he do to sing better?

How can he or she up his/her game? What kinds of things can he or she incorporate that might up the game?

What type songs would be better choices?
    Simon did give constructive criticism many times. We heard most contestants say that they paid the most attention to Simon's comments. I liked Simon and miss him. Sure he was rude, snide and downright mean at times but he offered a point of view that is missing this season.

I used to like Simon, but the last season or two he just seemed totally bored, which is disrespectful to the contestants.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I used to like Simon, but the last season or two he just seemed totally bored, which is disrespectful to the contestants.
    It was the last two seasons. Firing Paula did not sit well with him and it showed. He was done and just living out his contract at that point. I never stopped being interested in what he had to say despite this, however.

He hated, HATED the audtions and that wore him down to a nubbin at the end.

+ Reply to Thread