+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: 4/6 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/6 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I think Haley was much better then Crystal signing Janis. JMHO. Call me crazy and maybe I will turn out to be wrong, but I think Simon would like some of these contestants as well. I am curious to know who he thinks has the "it" factor.

And I think these contestants are being "coached" into oblivion. They're overly processed by people who don't exactly come across very well on tv. I haven't been impressed by that Jimmy guy. So far, I like JLo's husband the most, as far as coaching goes
    I do agree with you about the coaching and advice these contestants have been getting. Jimmy is in love with Paul and seems annoyed with the rest of the contestants this season. There is a reason the producer stays behind the the curtain. I would almost rather see JLO's husband be a judge over her at this point.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    I do agree with you about the coaching and advice these contestants have been getting. Jimmy is in love with Paul and seems annoyed with the rest of the contestants this season. There is a reason the producer stays behind the the curtain. I would almost rather see JLO's husband be a judge over her at this point.

Hmmmmmmm........not a bad idea. I think he'd be capable of telling the truth without crossing the line.

Is anyone else out there getting creeped out by Jimmy? <--- and I don't mean this in a good way

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    I think Haley was much better then Crystal signing Janis. JMHO. Call me crazy and maybe I will turn out to be wrong, but I think Simon would like some of these contestants as well. I am curious to know who he thinks has the "it" factor.
    I definitely don't agree. I was never a big fan of Janis and I really hated Janis' version of Me and Bobby MacGee (for anyone who doesn't know, her version was a "cover.") However, Crystal singing it in the style of Janis I really loved.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

IMO, Simon wasn't honest. Cruelty and honesty are not the same. Simon was paid to be a bully. He certainly wasn't paid to give constructive criticism. in fact, his tired old insults were just as insipid as the ramblings of Paula. Telling someone they should be singing on a cruise ship or saying "I've heard better in a karaoke bar" always struck me as disingenuous. First of all , you're the one who let them through! So, if you are going to criticize offer up advice on how to improve the performance for next week. I could sit there and make insipid addle brained insults, same as Simon. Any of us could do that. Being blunt and being honest are not mutually elusive. They don't mean the same thing and Simon was not so much a helpful commentator as he was a bully, buffoon and tool. Ratings are good this year. The atmosphere is so much better and the judges are doing their jobs, being supportive of the group they helped pick, being subtle in their critique and leaving the heavy lifting to the very qualified Jimmy Iovine-who is being honest with these kids, but is also able to back up the truth with professionalism, direction and help so that contestants aren't just standing there dealing with a useless insult that does nothing to help them prepare to improve for the following week
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    IMO, Simon wasn't honest. Cruelty and honesty are not the same. Simon was paid to be a bully. He certainly wasn't paid to give constructive criticism. in fact, his tired old insults were just as insipid as the ramblings of Paula. Telling someone they should be singing on a cruise ship or saying "I've heard better in a karaoke bar" always struck me as disingenuous. First of all , you're the one who let them through! So, if you are going to criticize offer up advice on how to improve the performance for next week. I could sit there and make insipid addle brained insults, same as Simon. Any of us could do that. Being blunt and being honest are not mutually elusive. They don't mean the same thing and Simon was not so much a helpful commentator as he was a bully, buffoon and tool. Ratings are good this year. The atmosphere is so much better and the judges are doing their jobs, being supportive of the group they helped pick, being subtle in their critique and leaving the heavy lifting to the very qualified Jimmy Iovine-who is being honest with these kids, but is also able to back up the truth with professionalism, direction and help so that contestants aren't just standing there dealing with a useless insult that does nothing to help them prepare to improve for the following week
    I miss Simon, he would have guided Pia, what Tyler said was useless.Pia, in a million bars a million guys are having a million drinks, that helped her out how?

FORT Fogey

Thanks RedSox Girl for "getting it". The critiques are understated as there is NO reason to insult powerless kids on national TV. We have seen indications that voice issues are being worked on. Appearance issues are being dealt with. The judges don't have to hit them, in the face with the issues they see. The producers are giving these kids some really important help behind the scenes and everybody is improving every week.

To the Point

I, for one, will just have to agree to disagree regarding Simon. While he definitely wasn't on the "everything is beautiful" bus he also was NOT in ANYWAY constructive in what he had to say. While the contestants may have realized that not everyone loved their performance, you certainly wouldn't have gotten anything that was actually constructive. So, it's not the constructive criticism that I think anyone is missing, because that truly wasn't what he brought. He just made no bones about not liking a performance, and he was quite often harsh and too personal in the comments he did make, often comments that had nothing to do with the vocal performance per se.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    He just made no bones about not liking a performance, and he was quite often harsh and too personal in the comments he did make, often comments that had nothing to do with the vocal performance per se.
    And those comments had the contestants scrambling to please Simon every week. When Simon was around, a contestant would finish up his/her performance and we'd watch as they cringed when it was Simon's turn to give his comments. Whether his comments were constructive or not, at least he created a sense of urgency amongst the contestants that made them want to give the performance of their lives each week in an effort to please Simon and at the same avoid his hard-hitting comments. And when he did give one of them glowing praise (which didn't happen that often), the look of elation and euphoria on the contestants faces was undeniable. Randy and Paula could praise the contestants performances until the cows came home, but at the end of the day the judge all the contestants wanted to please was Simon. At least that was something.

With this season's judges / contestants love-fest, everything is all sunshine and daisies. Since the judges love everyone I haven't seen the contestants try as hard as they could.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

It is like any form of bullying, they wanted to avoid the "beating", so the sense of "urgency" was the hope they would escape the abuse this week.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    It is like any form of bullying, they wanted to avoid the "beating", so the sense of "urgency" was the hope they would escape the abuse this week.
    Nah...Simon's bluntness wasn't bullying. It was what it was--just him being blunt.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread