+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: 4/6 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/6 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Bellenote View Post
    Which brings me, last but not least, to Jacob. He is my favorite and his amazing vocals, honesty, sincerity, and smoothed out performance were fantastic.
    I agree totally. For me, Jacob is the biggest star to come out of this show in a long time. His connection to the lyrics is outstanding and his vocal range is unbelievable. He is the only AI performer whom I can't wait to hear sing each week on this show, and I will go to hear him in concert after the show.

---
    ---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

There are some interesting comments here. It's odd how people view performers so differently. Tastes just vary. I have actually changed my criteria for the artist I am rooting for. I used to go for the voice quality, but now, that's just a part of it. This season I found myself eager to see a performer who's voice is less strong, but the personality is there. I find personality is really getting my attention over the vocals.

At first I was crazy over Pia, not so much now. Last night didn't even interest me. It was uptempo, but really the same as the ballads IMO.

Now I am looking forward to seeing the following each week: Scotty, James, Casey, Paul and Lauren. The others, I'm just not feeling. Not sure why.

I must say that Scotty's voice quality was VERY good last night. I was shocked and impressed. That song and key was perfect for his voice.

FORT Fogey

A few comments...

The judges are catching a lot of flack for being so upbeat. Ostensibly, by not being more critical of the kids, they are not helping them; however, the judges aren't the ones who do the voting, and the kids are getting a lot of the tailored help they need backstage.
    One of my biggest complaints was Simon's, "Wrong song choice," without offering any kind of right song choice in its place; however, we are seeing evidence that somebody has been working with these kids because they are changing their minds on songs, so this tells me that though we don't see or hear those interchanges going on, they probably are.

Next, I too am going against the flow with Paul's choice. It was fun, fun, fun, but, folks! That was not a fun song - murdering someone and singing the blues in prison in a fun way is bizarre. What?
    I also expected a glint and a star to come out in 3D from Paul's gleaming white teeth.

My idea of the bottom 3 is Stefano, Paul, and either as a surprise Jacob or Lauren.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    I also expected a glint and a star to come out in 3D from Paul's gleaming white teeth.
    Seriously, how does Paul get the teeth to glow like that? Any ideas? We could probably do an entire thread on that. It can't just be tooth bleach---every star on TV has had their teeth bleached but they don't look like that.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

To the Point

I agree with all who have made the point that the mentoring with the true professionals all week is probably taking care of a whole lot of the truly constructive input that seems missing. I would agree that it would be nice to hear a bit more constructive input by the judges, however, I love that they are getting more professional input throughout this process. That is something that has been sorely missed up to this season. I do NOT miss Simon. Seldom were his comments in any way constructive. "That was horrid" or "I've heard better on a cruise ship" is in no way constructive; demeaning, maybe even true, but not constructive.

And, yes, I too have wondered about Paul's pearly whites. I find it hard to look away

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post

And, yes, I too have wondered about Paul's pearly whites. I find it hard to look away
    Do you remember the Friends episode where Ross over whitens his teeth and they glow? I kept thinking about that.....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Can't weigh in on the entire show once again.
    At least, I was able to catch most on the Internet.
    I'm not sure if it's the over producing of each number, Jimmy Iovine's directions, fear of giving these kids actual constructive criticism, or what, but what I'm seeing is a group that may be comprised of some with potential, but no real star power or charisma, at all.
    A lot of people have mentioned that some can't connect to the songs, due to their age / inexperience. If that's the case, then how do we account for great singers from the past who were able to connect / deliver on songs even though they were quite young?
    I actually missed Naima. I've said before that her vocals were not the best, but I always looked forward to her performances.

Where was the Rock n Roll last night? And can anybody tell me what the heck Haley was doing with Piece of My Heart? Yikes!! Poor, poor Janis.
    Lauren was marginally better with Aretha, but that's not saying a whole lot. As far as Pia taking on Tina Turner, even beauty pageant contestants (which she obviously channels) don't take on Tina - not with a rendition like that.
    Someone mentioned that Stefano should retire to the local cruise ship line.
    I'd second that.
    Scotty has a good deep country type voice. I find him extremely difficult to watch, though. His positioning of the mike is just totally off putting and, while, he did a credible job on Elvis, he's far from Elvis for me.
    Not sure what people see in Paul. He does seem to enjoy himself, but his smiling and caterwauling through the song was right up there for me with Haley's turning an extremely poignant song into a Crest toothpaste commercial, smiles and all.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by gatrmom View Post

Sorry fellow posters for the rant. I'm just tired of the sugar coating for everyone. At least Simon thought about the performances from a business perspective.
    Go ahead and rant. I agree with you. At least Simon was honest. I pretty much tune out what the judges say now. Except for an occasional honest comment by Randy--who seems to be embarrassed at times by the other two--all I hear is a Paula-like love fest. Yuk.

As for behind-the-scenes coaching, until this week, I didn't see that it helped at all. The past weeks were dull and mediocre. In fact, over in the "Adam Lambert" thread, we were saying that all this coaching was precisely the problem. None of these contestants have a vision for each song. They just pick one and try to sing it like the coaches say. No wonder we don't have any standouts this season.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Go ahead and rant. I agree with you. At least Simon was honest. I pretty much tune out what the judges say now. Except for an occasional honest comment by Randy--who seems to be embarrassed at times by the other two--all I hear is a Paula-like love fest. Yuk.

As for behind-the-scenes coaching, until this week, I didn't see that it helped at all. The past weeks were dull and mediocre. In fact, over in the "Adam Lambert" thread, we were saying that all this coaching was precisely the problem. None of these contestants have a vision for each song. They just pick one and try to sing it like the coaches say. No wonder we don't have any standouts this season.
    ITA with your entire post. I just posted in Haley's thread a clip from Crystal singing a Janis cover (way better than Haley, IMO) and it included all 4 judges comments. I loved what Simon had to say. Nothing mean or nasty, but he told it like it was about the gimmicks employed by the other contestants. Oh heck, here's the link: YouTube - ToP 11 - cRYSTaL BoWeRSoX "Me aNd BoBBY McGee" BY JaNiS JoPLiN (1971)

And I think these contestants are being "coached" into oblivion. They're overly processed by people who don't exactly come across very well on tv. I haven't been impressed by that Jimmy guy. So far, I like JLo's husband the most, as far as coaching goes

Ok, rant over.

Last night's show was the best so far! Several great performances, and the rest were at least good rather than boring. Now, if only they can keep this up in the next few weeks...

Jacob--First time I've actually loved him. I'm so glad that he had the courage of his convictions and changed his song. I did wonder about the hip thrusting, though. Kind of reminds me of "I don't know why parents are so upset about me" Elvis. You can't have it both ways. Also, I'm kind of worried about this remark in the video. At first I couldn't believe what I'd heard. He seems like a nice person, so I hope that was just a slip-up and that his powerful vocals overcame it with the voters.

Haley--Good, but nobody can ever match the original. And her stomping around the stage seemed a little phony. I agree with those who said it just wasn't raw and gritty enough.

Casey--Mixed review. Great vocal, and I loved his originality in using the bass. I LOL at JLo's comment about the bass being sexy. However, I've never liked that particular song.

Lauren--The only one verging on mediocre. Whoever said the Queen of Soul's songs should be banned is absolutely right. And was Lauren the one wearing those awful baggy shorts (?). It makes me shudder just thinking about it. (Side note: since I didn't watch the first season, I never saw Kelly's version. Even without that comparison, however, I still thought it was almost blah. Also, there was no originality. The Queen? Really? That's like all those girls trying to tackle Whitney/Celine.)

James--agreed that he needed to mix it up a little bit by slowing down. However, tonight was not the night. I didn't particulary like the song; however, he gets points for originality so I hope he goes through.

Scotty--considering that Elvis grew up as a country boy singing gospel, and was first considered a "rockabilly" singer, I didn't think it was a big deal for Scotty to sing a song of his. In fact, I've been wondering when he would. Not the best of the night, but refreshingly different. The girls on stage were lame, though. The producers must be orchestrating that.

Pia--again not my favorite, but props for mixing it up and doing something different. I actually liked her this week. I couldn't agree more, though, that nobody can ever touch the immortal Tina, who let it all hang out. Like Haley, just didn't quite feel the emotional connection. And what was up with that outfit? Once again, I thought I was seeing an extra from a cheesy 60's sci-fi movie.

Stephano--good but not great. Once again with the no emotional connection. I love all the comments about his needing to sing on cruise ships.

Paul--best of the night! Now that's bringing it home! I have to admit that I couldn't understand some of the lyrics at first, but despite that, I loved it. As somebody said, it was the most entertaining. Paul was the only one who looked like he was enjoying being up there, and I loved it. I really hope he sails through tonight.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread