+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: 4/6 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 4/6 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Great show. There isn't a huge divide between the potential winners and the also- rans, as has happened in previous season. Randy has not used the word "pitchy" much because for the most part, the kids can sing. In the "old days", we knew who would be among the top three very early on.

If I had to summarize the season so far, it is FUN, something that has been sorely missing for several....ok many...seasons. We don't have to worry about the nasty remark ( and usually NOT constructive) from Simon. Even Ryan is enjoying himself and being silly without risked the homophobic comments from Simon that wore very thin....and made me think that perhaps one was protesting too much....HMMMM

I agree with lidenfrost re: Haley...a great singer but not for Janis. She can sure sing though. Maybe the best in that she can perform, relate to the audience...(if she leaves the staged sexy poses out) I like her better than Pia.

Paul, loved his performance, it was upbeat, got the crowd moving, etc, but the song wasn't good for his voice, IMO. Loved his Maggie May but this one, not so much.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Wow Ė after 2 weeks of being disappointed, I was very impressed last night. I canít say there were any big moments last night, but there werenít any bad performances that I was tempted to FF through.

As many have said, I too thought Jacob was SO much better last night than usual. No dramatics, just sang it straight and beautifully. Of all times for him to do that, I think the cursed opening spot may be the end of him. Too bad Ė there are many other weeks Iíd be happier for him to hit the road.

Iím also not a Scotty fan (not a country fan, either). But he did a great job!

I think Paul was my favorite. Iím very happy that he finally chose an energetic song that complimented him.

Lauren and Pia have opposite problems. Lauren picked a song thatís too well known and overdone, and also was one of the top performances on AI. She was fine, but fell short of other performances and suffered by comparison. Pia picks songs that arenít very well known Ė and probably arenít well known because theyíre not that great of songs. I think she does a wonderful job, but she needs to choose more likable songs. Both these girls need to meet somewhere in the middle of this.

Loved Haley. It was good to see Casey returning to the bass, and I liked his take on that song, although itís not one of my favorite songs. Loved James, but I do agree that he probably could have done without the scream. The audience seemed to respond favorably, though. Choosing a ballad was a risky move. Stefano was decent, but I would rate him the lowest of all the performances last night.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    If I had to summarize the season so far, it is FUN, something that has been sorely missing for several....ok many...seasons. We don't have to worry about the nasty remark ( and usually NOT constructive) from Simon. Even Ryan is enjoying himself and being silly without risked the homophobic comments from Simon that wore very thin....and made me think that perhaps one was protesting too much....HMMMM
    I was commenting on that last night and DH agreed, the fun is back and has breathed new life into the show. I don't miss Simon and his snarky unhelpful comments at all. This show isn't life or death, its just a singing competition and it should be fun.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Regular

I have a question for the judges --- when are you going to start giving these contestants honest critiques??

If any of you, especially Steven and Jennifer, were auditioning people for your bands or back-ups, you would be much more honest. They are not all beautiful, soulful, wonderful singers all the time. You wouldn't want your brand damaged by a so-so performer. Why would you want to damage the AI brand any more than it already has been?

At some point after hearing how absolutely spectacular they are every week, these people are going to go on real auditions and are going to hear the opposite. You are supposed to be preparing them for that eventuality. If you can't do that you shouldn't be sitting in the judges' seat. And if you think they are too young (after all, you lowered the age requirement) to hear negative comments, then they shouldn't be there.

Sorry fellow posters for the rant. I'm just tired of the sugar coating for everyone. At least Simon thought about the performances from a business perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    Best of the night - Scottie, James
    Scottie pulled his Elvis song off wonderfully! He proved he can step out of his genre. James, also did great last night. He sang with a lot of emotion.
    Totally agree, and I would add that Casey sounded more like the hollywood round where I really liked him, and Paul was a lot of fun to watch going crazy on the Johnny Cash song. Those are my 4 favorites from last night.

Pia, Jacob, and Stefano can leave anytime and in any order and I would be happy.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by GT Mom View Post
    Up tempo "Folsom Prison Blues?" He sounds happy to be incarcerated!
    Totally true and he can't pull that song off like Johnny could, but it was still fun and I still really like Paul. Really hoping he sticks around longer than some who just bore me to tears. At least Paul brings a smile each week.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Well once thing is sure, there are no Adam Lamberts or David Cook's this year, unfortunately. The closet thing we have to etiher of them is Casey and James...and both have fallen short thus far. In a group of mostly lackluster remaining performers, these two are the only ones I have any real interest in at this point.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by gatrmom View Post
    I have a question for the judges --- when are you going to start giving these contestants honest critiques??
    My POV on that is that they are being critiqued AND more importantly, being helped by the AI team between shows. Those who were pitchy apparently are working with Marc Anthony and getting a sense of how to overcome that. Jacob's overly dramatic singing has been toned down. Appearance issues are being worked on. I do not think that the insulting critiques issued by Simon helped the previous contestants at all since there did't seem to be much of a production team behind them. I think these kids are being given so much "real world" training, they are in an enviable spot this year.

Just because there isn't a judge with an "in-your-face" comment, does not mean that the judging panel is not doing their jobs. Just the opposite I think. The faults are found and being worked on. Those voters who needed Simon to direct them for whom to vote may be the only ones losing out this season; it looks to me that everybody is being helped and are being put in a winning situation by the changes in AI.

I thought everyone did pretty well last night, and I think the professional mentors had a lot to do with that.

Scotty is always entertaining and is a very skilled singer

Pia was interesting and powerful

Casey was back to his jazzy-blues roots

Jacob was brilliantly emotional (with restraint) and musical

Lauren and Stephano didn't suck

James was appropriately restrained

Haley's amazing vocals were complemented, not ruined, by her stage movements. However, her growling sounded a little fake.

My only problem was Paul. He sounded pretty good, but smiling about killing someone and going to prison. Nah. Did not work.
    ---
    ---
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-07-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

+ Reply to Thread